Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I'm having a thought

And please explain this to me. Now we have the Donal Sterling issues, right? His statements were racist and because he stated them, in his home, he's banned from the NBA. Sounds reasonable, yea? The NBA is 78% black. That's the players, 78% are black. How is THAT not in it self discrimination? Okay, let's take the race out of the issue here. The majority of the league is over 6 feet tall. What about the short guys? Do short guys not get to play basketball?

Here's my point, and I'll get to it... why is it okay to discriminate against certain people but not others? You say one wrong word against the Jewish religion and the holocaust is brought up to no end. Yet Christians can be persecuted against in Hollywood, the media, other nations... and nobody bats an eye lash. I put that I'm latin on job applications because I know I have a better chance of getting an interview, am I wrong? Why? Because I'm not the privileged race?

You can't use discrimination as a tool to fight discrimination. That's not racist to say that, it's common sense. You don't fight fire with fire, right? So my point being, if we're all so considered about discrimination, why aren't little people being drafted in the NFL? I'll be honest, you want to hear real racism? Let's record these NBA stars when they think they're having a private conversation in their own damn house like Sterling did. I wonder how many would even bat and eye lash at the racist remarks that would inevitably be stated. Not many I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BastilaShan View Post
    And please explain this to me. Now we have the Donal Sterling issues, right? His statements were racist and because he stated them, in his home, he's banned from the NBA. Sounds reasonable, yea? The NBA is 78% black. That's the players, 78% are black. How is THAT not in it self discrimination? Okay, let's take the race out of the issue here. The majority of the league is over 6 feet tall. What about the short guys? Do short guys not get to play basketball?

Here's my point, and I'll get to it... why is it okay to discriminate against certain people but not others? You say one wrong word against the Jewish religion and the holocaust is brought up to no end. Yet Christians can be persecuted against in Hollywood, the media, other nations... and nobody bats an eye lash. I put that I'm latin on job applications because I know I have a better chance of getting an interview, am I wrong? Why? Because I'm not the privileged race?

You can't use discrimination as a tool to fight discrimination. That's not racist to say that, it's common sense. You don't fight fire with fire, right? So my point being, if we're all so considered about discrimination, why aren't little people being drafted in the NFL? I'll be honest, you want to hear real racism? Let's record these NBA stars when they think they're having a private conversation in their own damn house like Sterling did. I wonder how many would even bat and eye lash at the racist remarks that would inevitably be stated. Not many I think.
    If there's a short dude who can outperform the shit out of a tall guy in basketball somehow, he'll get in.

10+ Year Old Account
    You think the NBA is discriminating towards non-blacks because 78% of the players are black? I'm not sure you understand what discrimination is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black people are genetically predisposed to outperform non-black people at any sport simply because they have greater proportions of non-neanderthal DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    If there's a short dude who can outperform the shit out of a tall guy in basketball somehow, he'll get in.
    Okay, I agree. If there's a black guy that can out think the shit out of everyone else in his class somehow, he'll get into college. If there's a Latin guy that can do whatever job better than anyone else, surely he'll get hired. Why do we need affirmative action?

I knew your user name wasn't just a coincidence. Surprised that your other account is still banned, though. I didn't think bans were permanent around here.

The NBA is 78% black. That's the players, 78% are black. How is THAT not in it self discrimination?
    So you're saying tall black men being better at basketball than short white men is discrimination? I think you might want to consult a dictionary.

Yet Christians can be persecuted against in Hollywood, the media, other nations... and nobody bats an eye lash.
    Good thing you threw the "other nations" in there, because contrary to your assertion they certainly aren't persecuted in the US.

why aren't little people being drafted in the NFL?
    You picked probably the two most ridiculous arguments you could possibly have found. Success in sports is based almost entirely on merits, in this case the physicality, training, and skill of the players. You can't just quota your way to a team that will win games.

Okay, I agree. If there's a black guy that can out think the shit out of everyone else in his class somehow, he'll get into college. If there's a Latin guy that can do whatever job better than anyone else, surely he'll get hired. Why do we need affirmative action?
    I disagree with affirmative action. I'm sure you can get tons of responses from people here, I'm guessing none of them will make you support it.

I'm not voicing a particular stance on this, but I have a question. Doesn't discrimination only work if you're criticizing an attribute that is irrelevant to the job at hand? Last I recalled, the basketball players were there for their height, a relevant trait to basketball, much like bigger men are used for football.
    Last edited by Treno; 2014-05-10 at 06:17 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Black people are genetically predisposed to outperform non-black people at any sport simply because they have greater proportions of non-neanderthal DNA.
    Oh god, Lol. Jimmy the Greek is that you?

Yet Christians can be persecuted against in Hollywood, the media, other nations... and nobody bats an eye lash.
    Can it really be called "persecution" in the US when it is people complaining about Christians persecuting people and trying to turn their religious beliefs into laws?

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Can it really be called "persecution" when it is people complaining about Christians persecuting people?
    It isn't always.

I'll be honest, you want to hear real racism? Let's record these NBA stars when they think they're having a private conversation in their own damn house like Sterling did. I wonder how many would even bat and eye lash at the racist remarks that would inevitably be stated. Not many I think.
    The ironic thing about situations like this is the fact that 99% of the people who made accusations and demanded Donald Sterling lose his job for his comments, have more than likely said similar or worse in their own homes; or at the very least, heard someone they knew say it, and didn't bother to scold them about it.

If everyone was held accountable for what they said at home - in their private life - there'd be a hell of a lot of people losing their jobs. Let's not all pretend that what Donald Sterling said was something we haven't all heard before.

What's that old quote from the Bible? "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Deleted
    I hope you're not serious. Probably American because I don't see it in football. *soccer for you that is*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    I hope you're not serious. Probably American because I don't see it in football. *soccer for you that is*
    This is standard anthropology. I understand that it sounds like pseudoscience, but it's not. The evidence is quite abundant anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    The ironic thing about situations like this is the fact that 99% of the people who made accusations and demanded Donald Sterling lose his job for his comments, have more than likely said similar or worse in their own homes; or at the very least, heard someone they knew say it, and didn't bother to scold them about it.

If everyone was held accountable for what they said at home - in their private life - there'd be a hell of a lot of people losing their jobs. Let's not all pretend that what Donald Sterling said was something we haven't all heard before.

What's that old quote from the Bible? "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
    It would be very different if Sterling had said some generic insult regarding black people in my opinion, which he could have just apologized for as a tasteless joke, instead he explicitly stated that he didn't want black people brought to his games. Sales dropped dramatically even before he was ousted. This wasn't a witch hunt, it was business.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is standard anthropology. I understand that it sounds like pseudoscience, but it's not. The evidence is quite abundant anyway.
    Can you link something that proves neanderthal DNA, rather than ancestral environmental factors, is the cause of those of West African descent being better at certain sports?

It seems odd that those of East African descent are traditionally no better at speed or strength based events than anybody else, considering they don't have neanderthal DNA either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently you've never heard of hockey. Or science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

Good ol' persecution complex.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I think the public scorn he would receive would be enough to keep him from coming to games. why they had to fine him 2.5 for being an asshole is strange to me. keep in mind he still owned the clippers, sure he has cancer but he's also a billionaire. unless it's the kill you in a few months no matter what you do kinda cancer.

You made the worst arguments I've probably ever seen on the internet ever and you should be ashamed of yourself.
    The earth is not a cold dead place