Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Festival of the Four Winds - May 20th 2014

Prepare for the Festival of the Four Winds!

Splash page: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-ga...s/may-20-2014/
    Patch notes: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...es-May-20-2014

As part of the celebration of our launch in China, we’re holding an in-game festival that brings back some of the best-loved Living World content! The Zephyrites have returned to the Labyrinthine Cliffs to do business and trade their goods, and Queen Jennah has reopened the Crown Pavilion. Experience the joy of movement as you harness the power of the Zephyrites’ aspect crystals, or put your battle skills to the test in the Crown Pavilion and Queen’s Gauntlet.

Get ready: the Festival of the Four Winds begins on May 20!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/p...he-four-winds/

Bonus! Items from the dat file from that_shaman. Be warned, spoilers abound!
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._from_the_dat/

Information on the Chinese festival: http://gw2.17173.com/content/2014-05...64654224.shtml
    Now streaming LIVE: http://video.sina.com.cn/l/p/1685000.html
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-05-20 at 07:01 PM.
    Valar morghulis

damn you're fast

Crown Pavilion, Queens Gauntlet & Zephyr Sanctum... awesome

I can't wait to do Aspect Arena again. It was my favorite PvP thing from last year

10+ Year Old Account
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05...he-four-winds/

The Festival of the Four Winds arrives on May 20th for North American and European players, who will "get the opportunity to help rebuild the beloved city of Lion's Arch that was destroyed by Scarlet [Briar] in Season 1."
    Valar morghulis

If they have us rebuild LA in one content update I am going to be severely annoyed

I had thought the Bazaar of the Winds (or w/e) was going to turn into a seasonal event. I wonder if there will be a Bazaar return later in the year since Anet are combining two past events in this update.

Interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    If they have us rebuild LA in one content update I am going to be severely annoyed
    Exactly this. Edit: Nevermind, was talking about MMORPG not Massively.
    Last edited by Rhywolver; 2014-05-13 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    Yeyyyyyy! Awesome news! I simply love the Bazaar <3

Wow just noticed that rebuild LA thing. Sweeeet
    Last edited by mmoc1319205971; 2014-05-13 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very excited to see the rebuilding of Lion's Arch start with the Bazaar - I guess this would be the component that replaces the voting from last year
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    True that, will be interesting to see what options there is or what kind of voting they will have for LA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidal View Post
    True that, will be interesting to see what options there is or what kind of voting they will have for LA
    Ooooh, this could be very interesting!
    Valar morghulis

Can't wait for the Queen's Gauntlet. I need to get my Liadri mini. Also, all those great Sovereign skins too.

ooh nice, the Labyrinthine Cliffs, my favorite update

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Even worse if we build it exactly like it was before it was destroyed and the only thing reminding us of the invasion is that little memorial thing off to the left where nobody goes.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I think the rebuilding will first establish some merchant areas (for trade with Zephyrites), but that the town will still look damaged. It might fully be restored by Halloween, but I doubt it gets repaired all at once.

The destroyed fountain took a while to get rebuilt. I doubt LA will be rebuilt in one update cycle.

I will be annoyed if it just ends being like it was before the destruction though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two things come to mind.

Rehashed content

Mini Liadri, only exclusive item in the game that took a lick of skill to get.

0/10 on their expansions worth of content lul

e; gz to me for 1k posts *scream*

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Two things come to mind.

Rehashed content

Mini Liadri, only exclusive item in the game that took a lick of skill to get.

0/10 on their expansions worth of content lul
    Umm, they said a long time ago what events would be yearly... this should be not a bit of a surprise to anyone.

I'm so stoked! This was my favorite update from season 1! I don't mind that Lions Arch is being rebuilt, I just hope it isn't rebuilt quickly. Also since the Zephyrites are helping rebuild Lions Arch I hope they add aesthetics from the Zephyr Sanctum. It would add more flavor to Lions Arch and there would still be remnants of the old Lions Arch too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I'm so stoked! This was my favorite update from season 1! I don't mind that Lions Arch is being rebuilt, I just hope it isn't rebuilt quickly. Also since the Zephyrites are helping rebuild Lions Arch I hope they add aesthetics from the Zephyr Sanctum. It would add more flavor to Lions Arch and there would still be remnants of the old Lions Arch too.
    From the video it looks like they've added a ton of art assets to Labyrinthine Cliffs, I see no reason why they won't add more to Lion's Arch.

Here's a great post from reddit that explains why recurring content works so well:

I know we're going to get comments like "boring, rehashed content. Instead of adding permanent content, they just reuse old content and try to pass it off as new."

But there's one huge merit to this model that just feels so darn good: when it's temporary, and when it only comes around once every so often, players get excited all over again. There's a buzz in the atmosphere as everyone rushes to participate in the content. When you go there, it will be absolutely hopping with players and activity.

Imagine, on the other hand, if it had been released permanently? How many often would players congregate in Zephyr Sanctum? How often would they run the Queen's Gauntlet? Super Adventure Box? Answer: about as often as they play Keg Brawl or legitimately quest in Southsun. It would be impossible to get excited about going to any of those zones. Done this way, it will be exciting every time the events come around.

This also shows that Anet is paying attention to what content players enjoyed, as Bazaar and Crown Pavillion were by far the most successful bits of the Living World to date.

TL/DR: Temporary content creates excitement where there otherwise would be none, and brings players together. Yay.
    Valar morghulis