Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dance with anyone, guy or girl. Not sure why people would harass other people just because they're dancing with them. Then again we are dealing with the WoW community here so it's no surprise.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by elyina View Post
    I just want to comment that this is one of the most retarded posts I've seen on this site to date, don't even care if I get infracted for saying this.
    You might wanna, y'know, actually say *why* you disagree with it, not just that you do. Otherwise it sounds like you disagree because the idea makes you kind of uncomfortable, because that would be a miserable world, and you want to keep hold of the illusion that the world is good -- because, for you, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Mostly because you trot out the same old stuff. "Power" and "Privilege" as if being male is equivalent to being a socio-economically advantaged male. Also acting as if men are somehow never the victims of crime and women always are. (Even though men are something like 3x as likely to be murdered)

Most men get tired of being painted as these comic book villains constantly.
    Ah. No, being a socio-economically advantaged white man also privileges you over people who are male, but not in some or all of those categories. However, male >>> female still holds even in those classes as a rule of thumb. So, no, you don't get the world on a plate just for being a man, but the fact that you don't have ultimate power doesn't, for example, change the fact that a woman in the same socio-economic class as you will be paid 75 cents on the dollar for the same work you do, or that they are subject to significant bias in "blame assignment" around rape, or other factors.

As to being painted as a comic book villain, I think you are perhaps misled by the fact that *you* are a good here: I have no opinion on that, one way or another. What I can say is that there are enough men that are not good people that it is a reasonable and sane assumption on the part of a woman that, eg, in the physical world turning down an invite to a date because you already have a boyfriend may result in death.

Likewise, you may never physically intimidate a woman who rejects your conversational approach on the train, but there are enough bad people who will do exactly that -- and who can't be distinguished from you, or me, or Joe over there, at a glance, or even an extended look -- that women need to assume that you could be one of them until they know otherwise. Unfortunately, "know otherwise" isn't something that can happen in many of these contexts.

I'm sorry you feel like you are painted as the bad guy because of the actions of other people around you, but it probably also helps for you to remember that every time you say that someone is "retarded" for saying something you disagree with you are *creating* the same sense of discomfort for every woman who reads it.

After all, if you dismiss their day to day experience like that, will you dismiss it when they actually complain they were harassed? Will you go on to further dismiss problems? Blame them if they are raped, because they "did the wrong thing"? Probably not, because you seem like a decent enough person, but... what you say sounds very much like what they people who *do* those horrible things say, and from a distance it can be hard to tell what is behind them.

You know how sometimes in LFR the tank or tanks will bail on you and your whole group will be sitting there waiting for new ones? Everybody's complaining about how bad those tanks were and whose fault the wipe was, etc.

I got 'em to all /dance in the name of messing with the new tanks. A good while goes by, nobody talking, just dance. Finally the tank or tanks (I forget now) pops in. Dead silence. Entire raid of strangers in the most caustic group known to man (aka LFR) are dancing away.

The tank(s) started dancing too. After that it was pandemonium. I don't remember, maybe they thought we were doing a loot dance like people used to dance to make it rain.

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    You know how sometimes in LFR the tank or tanks will bail on you and your whole group will be sitting there waiting for new ones? Everybody's complaining about how bad those tanks were and whose fault the wipe was, etc.

I got 'em to all /dance in the name of messing with the new tanks. A good while goes by, nobody talking, just dance. Finally the tank or tanks (I forget now) pops in. Dead silence. Entire raid of strangers in the most caustic group known to man (aka LFR) are dancing away.

The tank(s) started dancing too. After that it was pandemonium. I don't remember, maybe they thought we were doing a loot dance like people used to dance to make it rain.
    Oh, gosh, that is the best use of /dance ever, haha. You win LFR, my friend.

If they're completely random people I don't know, I usually just ignore them and go about my business unless they talk to me or I'm REALLY bored.

I used to use the piccolo item a lot (the one that makes all nearby players dance). It is amusing sometimes. I still remember the video where a night elf rogue stealthed into a Horde AH on a PvP server and popped that, but then he realized that it only worked on friendly players. Took him out of stealth, and he was the only one dancing. It did not end well for him.