How do You Get XP from Pet Battles?

I've battled a few pets in Stonetalon on my new alt, and didn't seem to get any XP. Do you get from playing against other players through the queue, or am I just not noticing it?

If you're seeing XP gains show up over your head for kills or quest turn-ins, you'll see them after you finish a pet battle that awards you some. Your team probably has to be around the same level as the enemy pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapheiros View Post
    This. Please can Blizzard get their act together and get the art department to start working on class balance. It's getting ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

you only get xp for the pets that you use in the battle. if you only use 1 out of your 3 pets then only 1 pet is going to get xp. also just like lvling a toon, the pets need to be in around the same lvl of your pets. if they are too low then you won't get much or any xp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

You pets have to be around the level you are battling against. The XP scales by zones. Usually a bit lower then normal quests give in that zone at level.

So if you are level 80 and doing level 1 pet battles in durotar... not really gonna do much for your XP
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

So...as lvl 36, I should be getting XP from Stonetalon battles? Or Desolace pet battles?

Its actually based on your highest pet level. Whats the highest level of pet you've leveled? Ive brought most of my lowbies to The Heartland in Valley of the Four Wind to fight level 23-25 pets since im at the highest. I used to do it in Vale of Eternal Blossom until they blew the place up. Pretty decent around low 40s. Id get between 8-11% exp gain from per battle win.
    Last edited by Enan1981; 2014-06-01 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enan1981 View Post
    Its actually based on your highest pet level. Whats the highest level of pet you've leveled?
    Lvl 8 Ragnaros

Try battling pets in Southern Barrens then. Try gunning for areas 2 levels above your highest level pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    So...as lvl 36, I should be getting XP from Stonetalon battles? Or Desolace pet battles?

Yes, but only if the pets you're using are roughly the same level as the critters you are fighting. Or at least 1 of them are, if the other pets are level 25. Just as a pet will only get XP if the other pets used are similar level, or 25.

Key is, if your pet gets XP, you get XP relative to the zone's level to your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Enan1981 View Post
    Try battling pets in Southern Barrens then. Try gunning for areas 2 levels above your highest level pet.
    Alright, thanks.

So...XP gained is scaled based on the pet-pet ratio, not the toon-pet ratio. Got it.

- - - Updated - - -

What about queued pet battles against other players? Do they yield XP?

Yes, PvP pet battles give XP. I always do it on a lowbie if I'm doing a few matches (working towards 5k). Not sure what it is like at lower levels though.