Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If money is speech, then taxes limit my speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Sorry but Ted Cruz is a FUCKING MORON trying to deny this amendment from going through. Donating to campaigns isn't free speech. Its buying your own personal representative for the right price. Unless you have $50 billion you should be against this entirely No Stopit. Why am I not surprised you are basically hanging onto Ted Cruz's nuts?
    what I find particularly weird is how he thinks ted cruz is some kind of gangster thug

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    You do understand it is "normal people" who run these companies right?
    Actually the CEOs who run the companies are more likely to be psychopaths.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/drishti...udies-say-yes/

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    There's no way taco bell is actually from mexico.
    no...its.........Canadian! *thunder and lightning*

Then those "normal people" can go out and paint picket signs like everybody else.

When you have a disgusting amount of money to spend on a political campaign influence, you cease being a "normal person" and become a massive influence of controlling power way above any scale of a "normal" person.

So again lets change the laws that allow corporations to do certain things without affecting actual civil liberties. This distinction is very important and crucial and something NOT to be glossed over.
    do explain how this infringes on peoples liberties. enough with the song and dance.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    So the point of the Judicial system is to be a de facto rubber stamp of the Legislative Branch?
    Are you serious? Yes the point of the judicial system is to uphold the law meaning sometimes striking down acts of congress. It very much is the point. I really have to wonder if schools are even bothering to teach civics anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    no...its.........Canadian! *thunder and lightning*
    ... I don't see any Maple Syrup on the menu, and I don't see any moose/coffee/French people that even the French hate.

I'm guessing it isn't Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kainara View Post
    If money is speech, then taxes limit my speech.
    Shhhhh! You'll give the Tea Party/Ted Cruz another insane fearmongering campaign slogan! >_<

Are you serious? Yes the point of the judicial system is to uphold the law meaning sometimes striking down acts of congress. It very much is the point.
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    citizens can vote, Walmart cant
    Lovely. Still has nothing to do with how corporations are actually treated under the law, and yes the actual law matters.

Lovely. Still has nothing to do with how corporations are actually treated under the law, and yes the actual law matters.
    yea, it caps how much they can spend. not they can't spend any money at all. get with the fucking program.

Look, this has about zero chance of actually passing. To be perfectly honestly I am very uncomfortable with this whole thing, much that I hate the influence of money in elections. There just has to be a better way than amending the Constitution in a way that could, in theory, be used by either party to try and curtail any political advertising or speech since it all has to be paid for with money or by corporations at some level. It could potentially shut down magazines, television stations, radio stations, etc. and it would all depend on how some beuracrat interpreted the law.

Personally I would be more in favor of changing the law regarding how corporations are defined and narrowing it so that it's much more clear and much more spelled out just how corporate personhood and citizen are different.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

So are you admitting that Corporations don't have all the same rights and responsibilities as actual citizens?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... I don't see any Maple Syrup on the menu, and I don't see any moose/coffee/French people that even the French hate.

It's undercover Canadian. Like Cruz. They're both part of our long term plot to utterly trash and cripple the USA, by obesity in the former case, and utterly insane political policies in the latter.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Are you serious? Yes the point of the judicial system is to uphold the law meaning sometimes striking down acts of congress. It very much is the point. I really have to wonder if schools are even bothering to teach civics anymore.
    Upholding the law, means supporting it/concurring with the soundness/validity of the legal reasoning behind the law. Last I checked, upholding a law did not mean striking it down (calling it unconstitutional). That was not in the post I was responding to. There was a critical omission, as that you said the whole point of the judicial system was to concur, leaving no reference for when the judicial system may oppose an action that the Legislature may have done.

I just wanted to clear up your statement, because if courts did not have the ability to declare laws passed by the Legislature, unconstitutional, what would be the reason for their existence as a separate but equal branch in our government?
    Last edited by taliey; 2014-06-04 at 04:46 AM.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Ever see any flapping heads so full of lies?

That was the point of my rubber stamp post.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    No congress will ever approve a bill that limits how much money the rich can give them. There might be some senators and reps, true, that dont take money from the rich, and support this bill, but they are a SMALL minority.

if they're normal then they simply won a lottery and got rich. if they worked harder than most other people, then by definition they aren't normal. take your pick.