Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't think Cataclysm was as bad as we think.

Everyone calls it the worst expansion for the most part. I used to think that, but looking back, Cata only had 2 major issues. 1 was not enough raid bosses after tier 11, and number 2 is Dragonsoul being terrible. If tier 12 would have had 3 more bosses, and Dragonsoul hadn't been rushed it may have been one of the best. I used to think MoP was better by leaps and bounds, but now I think I can rank them about equall with MoP having a very slight lead.

Imo, Wrath>MoP>Cata>TBC>Vanilla.

Cata would have been better than MOP is dragonsoul hadn't sucked so much.

Thoughts?

Those are two huge ifs. Remove the two biggest issues from any expansion and it is a different ball game all together.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I thought cata started fantastically and then went slowly down hill, I actually really loved the first tier, enjoyed firelands, but then it fizzled out a horrible death with DS for me, and that's how I remember it. Shame really.

Cata had one of the best openings but it fell flat when they kept scraping raids.

Deleted
    there's also stuff like removing many of the really epic quest lines and replacing them with comic relief garbage, homogenizing classes, dumbing down the game, granting 10 man equal loot and thus making the real deal void, a horrible horrible story, zones spread all over the world, removing zul'gurub and zul'aman just to bring them back as 5 mans and there's probably tons of more stuff I can't think of right now.

cataclysm is a good example that it's NOT nostalgia, because everyone knows that cataclysm was utter shit and it will always be remembered as what it was, crap.

lfr

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Cata and HC Rag is one of my favorite fights, but like said above the end just dragged on. DS was uninteresting lore-wise (though I liked some of the fights) and just not fulfilling at all. Deathwing was a disappointment. Anyway for me it goes:

Wrath>Cata>TBC>MoP>Vanilla

Deleted
    The first tier and initial release of Cataclysm content, both 5-mans and raids, was great - the tuning was fantastic and I had lots of fun doing all heroic achievements in 5mans with my friends.

What came after was much less exciting and - I'll be honest - I almost completely skipped the rest of Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all nostalgic about Cata right now, so maybe its just me. I have the wierest urge to go run old cata dungeons, do Tol'barad, and do Moltenfront Daily quests. Rose Colored glasses maybe?

It was a great expansion, but several things happened.

1. No new continent - vast majority of zone resources was expended upon 1-60 areas rather than 80-85 areas, which disappointed people. Zones weren't connected, so the plot was at time confusing as to what exactly was transpiring in what order. Few people understood that Hyjal took place after Varshjr, etc.

2. Deathwing was EPIC, but most WoW players went "What the hell?" because they never played WC2. WotLK worked because everyone played WC3, and were like "OMG! It's him!" Blizzard did the exact same thing with Deathwing, but because most WoW playeres didn't play WC2, they went "How was I supposed that happened? Who is this guy? ...Okay..." That pretty much sums up the player reaction to the Cata plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    2. Deathwing was EPIC, but most WoW players went "What the hell?" because they never played WC2. WotLK worked because everyone played WC3, and were like "OMG! It's him!" Blizzard did the exact same thing with Deathwing, but because most WoW playeres didn't play WC2, they went "How was I supposed that happened? Who is this guy? ...Okay..." That pretty much sums up the player reaction to the Cata plot.
    They butchered Deathwing's character though. He was suppose to be this mastermind guy who did things behind a shadow and a disguise. He is not the Deathwing from WC2 so everyone went "Wth", not just people who didn't play WC2.

Cataclysm was the worst.

it's funny how people used to say wrath was complete crap, now it's considered good .. people are starting to change their minds about cata.. soon everyone will say MOP was the worst and as time goes on they will say it was one of the best.

people are never happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    It was a great expansion, but several things happened.

1. No new continent - vast majority of zone resources was expended upon 1-60 areas rather than 80-85 areas, which disappointed people. Zones weren't connected, so the plot was at time confusing as to what exactly was transpiring in what order. Few people understood that Hyjal took place after Varshjr, etc.

we also barely saw him.. people knew who Arthas was because he was everywhere, constantly mocking and teasing us.. Deathwing appeared a few times, but people never learned to hate him like they did with Arthas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    it's funny how people used to say wrath was complete crap, now it's considered good .. people are starting to change their minds about cata.. soon everyone will say MOP was the worst and as time goes on they will say it was one of the best.

people are never happy.
    My ranking has never changed. I still consider cata worse than MoP, but not by much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    we also barely saw him.. people knew who Arthas was because he was everywhere, constantly mocking and teasing us.. Deathwing appeared a few times, but people never learned to hate him like they did with Arthas
    I was terrified of him. I started playing very late tbc I believe, and was still a noob when leveling in wrath. I remember actually being legit afraid when I saw him. I have never gotten that since. Ragnaros May be the one exception. Hes always been a bit scary.

Tier 11 and 12 were really good. I hated Dragonsoul and The last bossfight where you dps pillars with a Deathwing name plate. Also the ZA/ZG patch was so god damn awful, removal of two awesome raids and replace with shitty 5 mans that you are forced to run for months and months and months.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Cata had one of the best openings but it fell flat when they kept scraping raids.
    Agreed. I think it was the best opening, but the expansion itself fell flat and didn't deliver. The best time I've had throughout the whole game might still be Vanilla Naxxramas, followed by ICC. Vanilla had the most raids I enjoyed, the others maybe had 1, 2, or none. The only thing that I really liked in Cata was seeing Rag again, as he's my favorite boss/character.

Deathwing seemed like a really cool character, especially after I saw the cinematic, so I was expecting something epic, and that just didn't happen for me.

So for me it's Vanilla>Wrath>MoP>TBC>=Cata

Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post

people are never happy.
    It's probably because there's more material to compare it to, and as time goes by, you see that it wasn't as bad as you thought it was. Some things, however, were as bad as you thought it was.

Cataclysm introduced the 25 man/10 man loot and difficulty equalization, which caused a lot of disruption for a lot of Guilds. It left a zero content for those Guilds that were more suited to the easier 10 man difficultly from Wrath. Something that LFR didn't fill (and caused it's own raft of problems) - and wasn't really fixed till Flexi several years later. The Cataclysm raiding model was an absolute disaster for the most players, though a minority found a nice in the new 10 man difficulty and became the new majority. It was something that Blizzard starting reversing in the Far-east early in MoP, and are totally scrapping in the WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    When a person continues to play at the end of the leveling experience purely for raids. Then that's a pretty huge problem.

So for me, it was that awful. ICC was at least fairly atmospheric and simple enough to farm with some friends while drunk.

Dragonsoul was just un-fun and spine of deathwing required me to be sober.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I'm all nostalgic about Cata right now, so maybe its just me. I have the wierest urge to go run old cata dungeons, do Tol'barad, and do Moltenfront Daily quests. Rose Colored glasses maybe?
    Go ahead and do that, then tell us how you feel in five minutes.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

No. It was as bad as I thought it was still. Not enough raid bosses? Check. Entire tier of worthless encounter design? Check (T13). Total fail on launch because you couldn't play the game with average players or in pugs without expecting major issues to arise more often than not. Totally garbage story? Always checked. PvP so bad WoW was dropped from a lot of esports tournaments. Yeah...

On the plus side it spawned one of the funnier sayings "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead.. .and that the World of Warcraft died with him..."
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-06-06 at 07:02 AM.