Page 1 of 113
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

WoD Beta Demonology Discussion

With the testing of Warlords of Draenor underway it seems like a good time to start making spec specific threads to ensure a large change in 1 spec doesn't overshadow equally valid discussion about another spec in the main WoD discussion thread.

Feel free to use this thread to chat about the spec in general, or about a specific issue you have, as well as any theorycrafting. Use it to ask questions, since this is the most likely place to find people with knowledge about Demonology and the way it will play in Warlords of Draenor!

To at least give this thread some sort of start, with still so few people in the test: How do you feel about the level 100 talents for Demonology?

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you want to help make Warlocks awesome, mainly by making sure we can use Simcraft as an accurate tool to compare gear and talent set ups then please visit this thread and see if you can help out: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4#post28070824
    Last edited by xskarma; 2014-07-07 at 03:07 AM.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Demon Bolt looks really cool, though I fear that this will be the highest tuned talent in the tier as a means to cut down Demonology's mobility by forcing a cast time into the Meta phase. There still seems to be a lot of speculation on it's intended use and it might be worth another tweet to Celestalon to see how they want us to use it. I asked back when the first "alpha" footage came out but didn't really get an answer beyond what the tooltip already says. If someone wants to ask him that'd be great, I'd hate to spam him with the same question again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demon Bolt wins the 100 talent competition for me, across the specs. Interesting mechanic, cool visual, basically everything you would want from a new talent.

In general I feel Demonology is going to be the spec to beat. Destruction will have it's AoE niche, Affliction looks lost at the moment but should pick up the Multi dot scenario niche, but Demo in WoD seems to have the trump card of better movement DPS, which is pretty much always going to make it have an advantage, especially now all the ranged specs got their movement limited.

If I had to choose a spec to play for WoD right now, I'd go Demonology.

I actually would prefer it if Demon bolt just replaced shadow bolt altogether since I hate the fact that shadow bolt has such a high cast time. But I guess having 3 different casted nukes for different situations would be "ok". Just seems kind of clunky and bloated to me. Just an opinion. I'm really looking forward to seeing if the new pets get any cool abilities. That would pretty much make my expansion if they gave them some cool "pvp viable" abilities to go with extra damage.

Might be much to ask, but could you make a video to show off the visual or a screenshot with demonbolt?

http://youtu.be/IVA2p5KD-70

Sparkuggz kindly made a video showing all 3 of the talents
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

10+ Year Old Account
    Demon Bolt looks interesting, but still needs some tuning I think because it seems a bit weird mechanically. The graphic is awesome, but for now I'll probably be looking to default to Cataclysm. Seems more straightforward as a nuke, plus it does AE Doom. Servitude is meh. Passive talents are not for me, I like buttons.

Much appreciated!

I particularly like how fire and shadow energy chases each other around what is essentially a chaos hadoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    plus it does AE Doom.
    Doom? :O I thought it was only corruption. Is it modified when cast in meta or something?

Agreed on servitude, really awful talent atm. Doom bolt and cataclysm at least seem interesting.

for now I'll probably be looking to default to Cataclysm. [...] plus it does AE Doom.
    This effect alone has me giggling like a little girl. I'm just thinking, opener like that on nazgrim adds if nobody touched them at all... o.o

In all seriousness though, I'm just as intrigued by Demonbolt. I want to see what it can perform under peak buffs.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alarinth View Post
    This effect alone has me giggling like a little girl. I'm just thinking, opener like that on nazgrim adds if nobody touched them at all... o.o

In all seriousness though, I'm just as intrigued by Demonbolt. I want to see what it can perform under peak buffs.
    Think about Wind Lord instead.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    In general I feel Demonology is going to be the spec to beat. Destruction will have it's AoE niche, Affliction looks lost at the moment but should pick up the Multi dot scenario niche, but Demo in WoD seems to have the trump card of better movement DPS, which is pretty much always going to make it have an advantage, especially now all the ranged specs got their movement limited.

If I had to choose a spec to play for WoD right now, I'd go Demonology.
    Mechanics wise Demo is lacking in the ranged AoE department, but its movement potential makes me feel like it'll likely be the spec to beat for most fights.

Aff will likely have very strong multi-dot potential as baseline DoT damage will be brought up to compensate for the loss of snapshotting, and Aff will benefit tremendously from SB:Haunt during such situations.

Destro I feel like will be going back to a very niche spec which focuses heavily on add fights and I feel like its burst AoE potential will be far and away above all others with FnB-Chaos Bolt into Incinerate into Conflag, with all three hitting at the same time after they travel. Destro is going to be punished very heavily for any sort of movement though, and unfortunately fights with lots of adds typically also have lots of movement.

I think they're making Demon Bolt really strong to compensate that Demo get bonus damage on demons, so Demonic Servitude will be very strong for demos. So without Lvl 100 talents it will be weaker than the other specs and then it gets the power. And that is why we see big % spell power number on DB. I think the intended mechanic for it is like: "You decide if you do 3 DB in a row to burst or cast 1 in a cycle to be the the most Fury-efficient". But with the current mechanic you can abuse its use by going to 50 fury and spam it (50 fury, you cast it you have 35 fury, you refund the 15 so you cast it again...). So i think the mechanic will be changed, or if not the spell power scaling should be tuned down or demo will be 2x strong than any spec in the game.

plus it does AE Doom
    Nah it's AoE Corruption, so it makes Cataclysm only better on AoE situation imo or maybe PvP burst.

http://youtu.be/IVA2p5KD-70 Sparkuggz kindly made a video showing all 3 of the talents
    Wow thank you it looks cool.

And yeah i will definately play demo, i always liked it more and in MoP, when the KJC worked in its active way i always found demo doing much better in heavy movement fights. Even if everyone else did affli in first tier i sticked to it. (dunno that much about later tiers as i retired raiding after)

Also they have to find a way that if you sac bigger pets (Felguard / now Servitude pets) you get more power as nobody will be that stupid to use the combination of GoSac and Servitude, which is not intended imo. Also i always thought that GoSac should work as burst cooldown, like sacing your demon for 20 sec to get power, like Service but -1 demon instead of +1.
    Edit: lol i just found that they changed GoSac for demo and you don't sac your pet but your critical chance to give it to your demon. Nice try but most likely won't use it cuz i get less Wild imps lul.
    Last edited by Koloss; 2014-06-07 at 10:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you can quite clear see in that video that Cataclysm while cast in Meta is applying Doom.

Passive extra Hand of Gul'dan radius with MF coupled with Glyph of Hand of Gul'dan is all the AoE I ever need
    - "I throw away all the rules of acceptable conduct during battle; near the ruptures I throw away all the accepted ideas of how the natural world is supposed to behave. Targeting isn’t even a consideration - I will be engaging my enemy at arm’s length."

Just for interest's sake: (Iron Juggernaut)

A full 10k DPS(a) below my trusty observer.

So yeah, some serious rebalancing / re-evaluation required (which will certainly be the case, since it's early alpha) to make Demonic Servitude at least useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding Demo's AE in general, if they don't change it, then we'll just have to see the encounters. It actually wasn't that crippling in Cataclysm if we're honest, the problem has been the amount of mechanics that have forced ranged to be at ranged so Melee don't get left out. Maybe with the mobility changes and Mythic going to 20 only, there'll be less inclination to used such contrived mechanics to force the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious if Cataclysm will be affected by the Fel Fire visual from Kanrethad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Regarding Demo's AE in general, if they don't change it, then we'll just have to see the encounters. It actually wasn't that crippling in Cataclysm if we're honest, the problem has been the amount of mechanics that have forced ranged to be at ranged so Melee don't get left out. Maybe with the mobility changes and Mythic going to 20 only, there'll be less inclination to used such contrived mechanics to force the issue.
    I don't think they will care about 1 spec when making encounters. Yes, sometimes it may suck to be demo when you have AoE at range. Maybe a glyph would be good if you cold use hellfire as it was a RoF.

Yeah, you can quite clear see in that video that Cataclysm while cast in Meta is applying Doom.
    It really does! Still i think Cataclysm will be weak on 1target bosses.

I hate the fact that shadow bolt has such a high cast time
    As i know its cast time will be reduced to 1.7 sec. Am i right?

I'm curious if Cataclysm will be affected by the Fel Fire visual from Kanrethad.
    I guess yes, also the orange fire part of DB i hope. Which things would be awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koloss View Post
    It really does! Still i think Cataclysm will be weak on 1target bosses.
    Still hits very hard against single target, I think it will be viable. Besides, 1 target bosses are a rarity.

As i know its cast time will be reduced to 1.7 sec. Am i right?
    No, that was a datamining error that picked up the cast time for the spell at level 1. It's still 2.5s at level 20+.