Poll: What does your gut say?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    What does that have to do with selling a bajillion copies?

I mean if you want to argue subjectively about the game or whatever, that's fine. I'm just saying that in terms of financials, there's almost no chance W3 will be a bigger success.
    That dosent change the fact that the main story was whot 3 h long??

Deleted
    Skyrim isn't THAT good... just saying.

dethrone it what? Certainly not sales

personally I thought ES III: Morrowind was better than Skyrim as an open world rpg

I feel Skyrim was left as a very empty world, where things you did had no impact to how people reacted to you, even when war was over, they still talk about the war is going on.

That just seem lazy.

And the voices, jeez! Thrall king lord of Whiterun, you find the same voice, same tone on bandits roaming around.

Even Witcher 2 has no voice re-used for characters, at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    dethrone it what? Certainly not sales

personally I thought ES III: Morrowind was better than Skyrim as an open world rpg
    OP didn't mention sales in the #1 post at all For sure it was about the content and what may be delivered, what we expect, how we felt about Skyrim, that pretty much has become the unofficial?official? #1 RPG because of the open world and wide choices, still I feel it's left unfinished and unpolished, unpatched, re-used much voices and such.

I enjoyed the story of Witcher 2 but there was one thing I didn't like, and that was the main character. A lot of the voice acting in that game was pretty wooden as well if we want to critique. Not saying it wasn't a great game but it did have its faults.

I enjoyed the story of Witcher 2 but there was one thing I didn't like, and that was the main character. A lot of the voice acting in that game was pretty wooden as well if we want to critique. Not saying it wasn't a great game but it did have its faults.
    The Witcher 2 voice studio that was hired was superb, are you **** joking!

Deleted
    Let's be honest here. Skyrim is an ocean with the depth of a puddle. If Witcher 3 follows the trend of the previous installments and adds a more open world feel to it, It'd say it ends up being BETTER in quality.

You have to remember this is made by CD Projekt, and they're very much anti-DRM. Which makes it more likely for it to be en-masse pirated. I mean, despite the quality of the Witcher 2, it was still the most pirated game of 2011.

Skyrim, and Oblivion as well, both are kind of terrible story experiences and it can be argued that due the lack of any real depth, it therefor breaks immersion immensily. Witcher 3 is not only situated in a far more dark and more realistic high fantasy world (For those who don't know the novels, it's basically in between Game of Thrones and actual High Fantasy(Lord of the Rings for example)).
    If you want to compare it to anything, you're better of comparing it to a bioware RPG, which the Witcher 2 & 1 pimpslapped quite handily in terms of story telling and morality. The moral choices in TW series are usually grey & grey, while in Bioware rpgs, they're black and white. Also, your choices don't really affect the story, while in the Witcher Series, it can cause DRASTIC differences in what the story will be, thus it requires you to play through the game multiple times.

I'd argue tho that in terms of choices, Witcher 1 does it better than Witcher 2, but in terms of gameplay and branching story, Witcher 2 does it better.

So if Witcher 3 delivers on the expectations set by the first two installments (not the expectations set by the fans and trailers), then it most likely will be one of the best fantasy RPGs we've seen.

Geralt is a more reserved character, he generally maintains a more neutral position and can be considered the pacifist, and kind of sees him as a protector of the innocent, but working as a mercenary for a living.
    The reason why he feels wooden is because the character is rather rigid and wooden on the outside. He has little experience with human interactions and is often subject of racism and despite that, simply turns the other cheek because he realizes that is how the society is in his world. He essentially puts on a different face to the outside world.
    From the books, the charm from his character comes form his introspective moments where he clearly struggles with how there is less and less need for him in the world.

You have to remember that CDProjekt is basically an Indie developper.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2014-06-08 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    That is nonsense, Skyrim won GOTY almost universally with critics and consumers and is a highly regarded game outside of a few people who always complain.
    Ehh Fanboys the world in skyrim was the best thing i saw but the main story the essence of the game was crapy like hell not to mention the slash slash slash fighting style.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    The Witcher 2 voice studio that was hired was superb, are you **** joking!
    ok then, I thought it was pretty mediocre, especially Tris and Geralt

Deleted
    To the point here!

I wasn't talking about the throne of sales..... I was talking about which will be the overall greatest open world RPG out there when The Witcher 3 kicks in
    The Witcher 3 has an estimated release date of the 24th of February 2015, which means Skyrim will be over 3 years old by then, the chances are pretty high.

I don't know man, is it the fact that I'm a non native English speaker? Perhaps. I keep hearing how the voice acting is bad, but I found it superb. Especially Geralt. And a lot of the minor characters.

Skyrim sucked major balls without mods. I mean, honestly, you can't say otherwise. Even Witcher 1 roflstomps it in terms of quality without mods. Heaps upon heaps of bugs, rehashed dungeons (like literally 3 dungeon designs for the whole game, pretty much like DA2, and we all know how much shit DA2 took for it's rehashed zones), empty and dull world (snow... snow... some trees... snow... oh, some ice... snow... snow...)... Skyrim was literally made and saved by modders. I was never able to understand why this game was so popular.

We can't compare Witcher 1 and 2 to Skyrim, since they were pretty much linear games (sure, you made some choices, but they mattered just about as much as in Mass Effect series, the outcome was mostly the same every time), while Skyrim is a sandbox game. So yeah, Skyrim was bound to have more bugs, but it was literally bugged into oblivion, and it is definitely not forgivable.

So, if CDP-Red delivers on half of its promises, Witcher 3 will absolutely trump Skyrim. Maybe not in terms of sales, but everything else... Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    You have to remember that CDProjekt is basically an Indie developper.
    What? This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. CD-Projekt is a company and a publisher just like EA or Ubisoft or whatever. Obviously, they respect their customers, unlike most other companies, so I guess this is where you're getting your impression from. Respecting customers is very much an "indie behavior" these days.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2014-06-08 at 05:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Shmeh. It's not even gonna come close to Skyrim in certain aspects, will far outshine it in others, and yet more aspects of both titles will continue to fail to challenge games that came out over a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Shmeh. It's not even gonna come close to Skyrim in certain aspects, will far outshine it in others, and yet more aspects of both titles will continue to fail to challenge games that came out over a decade ago.
    Care to elaborate? Continue to challenge games like what?

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Skyrim sucked major balls without mods. I mean, honestly, you can't say otherwise. Even Witcher 1 roflstomps it in terms of quality without mods. Heaps upon heaps of bugs, rehashed dungeons (like literally 3 dungeon designs for the whole game, pretty much like DA2, and we all know how much shit DA2 took for it's rehashed zones), empty and dull world (snow... snow... some trees... snow... oh, some ice... snow... snow...)... Skyrim was literally made and saved by modders. I was never able to understand why this game was so popular.

We can't compare Witcher 1 and 2 to Skyrim, since they were pretty much linear games (sure, you made some choices, but they mattered just about as much as in Mass Effect series, the outcome was mostly the same every time), while Skyrim is a sandbox game. So yeah, Skyrim was bound to have more bugs, but it was literally bugged into oblivion, and it is definitely not forgivable.

So, if CDP-Red delivers on half of its promises, Witcher 3 will absolutely trump Skyrim. Maybe not in terms of sales, but everything else... Yeah.

What? This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. CD-Projekt is a company and a publisher just like EA or Zenimax or whatever.
    He probably just ment:
    100% DRM-FREE game

EA, Zenimax, does not provide DRM-FREE game of this quality. So CD-Project is special publisher because of that.

Skyrim (requires Steam)
    Dragon Age (requires Origin)
    Uplay, etc.

The Witcher series (requires the game *old school?respect!)

In sales? Probably not. It's for more adult crowds + requirements will probably be quite heavier I think so maybe less will be able to play it.

Quality wise? Without question, it will be GOTD, let alone year as been said.

To the point here!

I wasn't talking about the throne of sales..... I was talking about which will be the overall greatest open world RPG out there when The Witcher 3 kicks in.
    We can only speculate, but it's interesting.

For one, Skyrim does feel like a very empty world without mods, also linear in their story telling, no consequences and quite often, you complete quests and they continue to refer to you as the war is still going on, when it is over.

I think you're a bit biased here.
    Clearly you feel like Skyrim isn't that great and needs to be dethroned.

I think the witcher 3 has potential and might even be a greater/more popular game.

However, at this point there isn't much to compare.

He probably just ment:
    100% DRM-FREE game

EA, Zenimax, does not provide DRM-FREE game of this quality. So CD-Project is special publisher because of that.

The Witcher series (requires the game)
    I don't know, I did need Steam to download and run Witcher 2, but I was never trying to go around it, so you may be right. It's right for Witcher 1, that's for certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    In sales? Probably not. It's for more adult crowds + requirements will probably be quite heavier I think so maybe less will be able to play it.

Quality wise? Without question, it will be GOTD, let alone year as been said.
    Next gen consoles are behind the current gen PC.
    Hell, my laptop can run Watch_Dogs with Ultra Textures and Settings with VSync, and have higher frame rates than Xbox One or PS4
    So I'm sure they make it so most people can enjoy The Witcher 3, since current consoles will run the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I don't know, I did need Steam to download and run Witcher 2, but I was never trying to go around it, so you may be right. It's right for Witcher 1, that's for certain.
    That's because you bought the game on Steam.
    If you buy the game on GOG.com for example, you just download the game or retail box for that matter.. you install the game and play!

I have Witcher 2 and I don't need anything but to launch the game to play it, heck I don't even have Steam installed on my machine!

- - - Updated - - -

@Airlick, remember that whatever game you buy on Steam, Origin, Uplay, it will always require you to use one or two of those services\clients to run the game.

Witcher 3 is 100% DRM free, if you buy it from retail or GOG.com (digital), but if you buy it from Origin, Steam, you pretty much force yourself to use DRM...........

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a huge Skyrim fanboy...

That being said, I really think the Witcher will come out on top. I've been reading a lot of articles about the people behind The Witcher, and its unbelievable. From my perspective (and it seems many others), they are developing games with the gamer in mind. If you look at their budget on games and the quality of the game- it just doesn't match up. They spend a fraction compared to other game studios yet deliver much better quality of a game. If they were out for money- a lot of their money would be spent on advertisement. The Witcher 3 is going to be the first game they [the studio] truly advertise, and I think its what, $25mill they're spending? Where as Call of Duty spends over $100mill in advertisements every release.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to have get a new video card unfortunately but its going to be worth it.