Poll: Would you purchase a lifetime WoW subscription?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No. I take breaks too frequently to justify a lifetime subscription.

Selling lifetime subs is a sign that the game developers expect the game to fail.

I got proper jammy with LotRO by getting a Lifetime sub for £77 (some sort of Codemasters sale). A few months later they announced it was going F2P and all Lifetime members got VIP status. Thus, I have pretty much all the benefits of LotRO for what is now years without paying anything (and the original £77 was hardly much).

In terms of WoW. Yes I would. But I cannot see it happening anytime soon, because as someone pointed out (and as per my example above), these things only really happen/work for lowish pop games, or those on the decline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineras View Post
    In hindsight, yes. In reality, no, because I would always hesitate and wonder what if I wouldn't play long enough for it to end up being a deal.
    Pretty much this. Even if I play almost uninterrupted since 2006 (-one month during ToC)

At this point in WoWs life I'm unsure if the sub model will even continue for 3 more years.

Ask Star Trek Online players how that 300$ lifetime subscription worked out for them.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    $500? Yeah I'd buy that. It'd be paying for itself in a few years. I know I'll be playing it then when whatever comes after Warlords is out. I'd prefer them to sweeten it with "you don't have to pay for expansions" in that deal but that'd just mean it makes its money back faster.

$500 is not a lot for me really. Every time I have bought another game, it has either sucked or gotten boring inside of a month. WoW's value for money cannot even be contested by anything I've played in the last 15 years. You'd have to go back to old Nintendo games to find anything I played as much as WoW, never mind as long.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Don't forget that $500 now is a much bigger hit than 500$ split over 3 years.

I wouldn't. Sure, I've been subbed non stop to this game for 6 years now, and it would have made sense back then, but I probably still wouldn't have done it. I had no idea how long I was going to play this game, even after playing for several months. And again, back then $500 all at once would be a much bigger hit than $500 spread over the next few years for me. And if you have enough money so $500 isn't a big hit, then $15 a month is probably nothing to you.

Sure, why not? Especially if I got a fancy hat to annoy people.

No. The experience is too inconsistent from expansion to expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make it $500, pay no sub fee, pay nothing for expansions, get all shop pets/mounts/ cosmetic stuff free then yes i would pay, no point just paying a one off fee for the sake of it as my sub isn't continuous...

10+ Year Old Account
    I would. $500 is nothing compared to how much I've spent on the game over the years, on and off.

The ability to log in whenever you want, if life happens, you can always come back to it later.

Even better is if Lifetime Subscribers had discounts forall expansions, character services and Blizzard Store items.

Ahhhhh hahahahaha.

No.

Doubly so if it didn't include expansions. Or, as I prefer to call them, the greatest con of the MMO industry.

absolutely. But I would like some back up or guarentee that it will at least be around for ... whatever number say 10 more years. No one wants this and then just have them say oh yea wow is going offline in a year.

LOTRO did this when it started and the price was so low that a lot of people bought it. After a couple of years, they realized the mistake when the revenue stream was too low. They then had to offer F2P to attract new players who hopefully then would subscribe for the $10/ month price or buy things from the store. It did work to an extent and there still is a sizeable number of people in the game. They may not have ever had to resort to that if not for the lifetime subs. It's a bad idea and I hope it never shows up in WoW.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    $500? Yeah I'd buy that. It'd be paying for itself in a few years. I know I'll be playing it then when whatever comes after Warlords is out. I'd prefer them to sweeten it with "you don't have to pay for expansions" in that deal but that'd just mean it makes its money back faster.
    I regretted not having bought the Annual Pass back then so much . First because I missed out on the Charger, second because I played anyway...don't know why I chose to keep my regular sub up.
    Also, I've spend SO much more on collectibles like mounts and pets (IRL money that is)...

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Selling lifetime subs is a sign that the game developers expect the game to fail.
    Not always but it is a mistake to offer them.

As for your sig, Bieber IS better than Tupac but I don't like either one.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would for ~ $150
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

I wouldn't take the risk, especially not now. Perhaps if it had been a few years ago, but even then $500 is a lot for me to drop on a game I might end up not playing in a few months time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineras View Post
    In hindsight, yes. In reality, no, because I would always hesitate and wonder what if I wouldn't play long enough for it to end up being a deal.
    This. If from the first time I started playing WoW there was a lifetime fee, then yes. As it stands now though, not a chance in hell. WoW has been suffering since Cata with poor gaming. I don't see that changing in WoD with the meager offering they're giving. The most I'd pay now for a lifetime sub is $100.

If I had paid $500, I'd have saved myself $431.77 over the lifetime of WoW that I actually have played. I know I'm probably on the low end of that too since I haven't played seriously for two expansions now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    If I had paid $500, I'd have saved myself $431.77 over the lifetime of WoW that I actually have played. I know I'm probably on the low end of that too since I haven't played seriously for two expansions now.
    Just taking the monthly sub fee into account, I would have saved around 980$ if I had bought such a lifetime sub at the beginning of my WoW career. Per account.
    Now take that x2.5 (two accs + one on-and-off-account) and I would have saved ~2.500$ from the subscription cost alone. Not bad.