Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What If LFR Had NPC Players (In WoD)?

Would you be okay with blizzard implementing a system where if the queues are too high, after a certain amount of time, they would put a "bot" in place of a player that knew how to do each fight so long as the players also did their jobs?

This would aleviate the high dps que and would allow players to rush through LFR quicker, thus obtaining more loot quicker.

What would your thoughts be on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    No. A bot can never, ever perform as a human can outside of very specific, tailored situations on supercomputers.

Deleted
    You mean like they do, in the Proving Grounds?

Would there be a certain % who were idiots like normal LFR?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think even the bots would ragequit after 4-5 wipes per boss, ahah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    You mean like they do, in the Proving Grounds?
    It's not the same. They can...hold aggro I suppose and toss out a heal but they can't react in the same way to changing circumstances or failures by other players. Like think about fights where you have specific teams doing certain tasks - how do you tell the NPC's where to go? What happens if one team dies? How do you move things around in the heat of battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Would you be okay with blizzard implementing a system where if the queues are too high, after a certain amount of time, they would put a "bot" in place of a player that knew how to do each fight so long as the players also did their jobs?

This would aleviate the high dps que and would allow players to rush through LFR quicker, thus obtaining more loot quicker.

Step 1: Find a guild
    Step 2: Express interest in raiding/be good
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: profit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's not the same. They can...hold aggro I suppose and toss out a heal but they can't react in the same way to changing circumstances or failures by other players. Like think about fights where you have specific teams doing certain tasks - how do you tell the NPC's where to go? What happens if one team dies? How do you move things around in the heat of battle?
    Its LFR though. That is very minimal at best, and even if things needed to happen, they could program the AI to know exactly what to do with changing boss mechanics (the few they still leave around for LFR)

10+ Year Old Account
    Its LFR though. That is very minimal at best, and even if things needed to happen, they could program the AI to know exactly what to do with changing boss mechanics (the few they still leave around for LFR)
    Just because LFR is considerably simpler than normal or heroic raiding doesn't mean that there aren't times when people have to step up to get things done, something that the AI won't be able to do.

No. A bot can never, ever perform as a human can outside of very specific, tailored situations on supercomputers.
    Blizz are secretly working with the people who did the supposedly turing-test winning chatbot to implement an "Enraged gamer rant"-program (With intensity ramping up for each wipe and a "Dammit! Gold again!"-subroutine), so we won't be able to tell the difference anymore... :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Blizz are secretly working with the people who did the supposedly turing-test winning chatbot to implement an "Enraged gamer rant"-program (With intensity ramping up for each wipe and a "Dammit! Gold again!"-subroutine), so we won't be able to tell the difference anymore... :P
    That would be awesome!
    There could be a minigame with rewards for guessing who is the bot and who is the rl flamer

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing the average lfr flamer wouldnt be able to "win" the turing test though

I'd rather LFR be tuned to be a 25-man Scenario, with zero need for tanks and healers, to eliminate worries of queues entirely. Just like normal dungeons should be tuned to be 5-man Scenarios. Then you let all the harder difficulties be pre-form content and give people their 'community' they've been bawwing for since Wrath.

10+ Year Old Account

with the exception of tanks, the "flex tech" being added to LFR will alleviate the rest of the pains. so i dont really see a need to add NPC's to fill spots that flex tech will take care of.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

it's an interesting concept and in theory it seems like it would be a good idea but I don't think the games in the position to start making that type of AI with the amount of different situations that are bound to happen.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Well on top of LFRs difficulty already getting nerfed and dependent on the amount of work Blizzard does on the AI because it is a scripted encounter the results or experience could be better overall. A bot isnt going to cover their mistakes up by throwing toxic shit out blaming others for their mistakes. Sure an AI might never be better than a player who is adaptive, but how many in LFR are really adaptive or care about being adaptive along with all the other aspects of being team players. LFR wouldnt be needing to get nerfed in the first place if its audience gave a shit about others or well the segment of the audience that drags down groups. How much players would really notice or care to notice. If you cared so much about human cooperative interaction and teamwork then you wouldnt be doing LFR. Adding in bots sounds fitting for the target audience who is looking for lower queues and less hassle caused by playing with other humans.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2014-06-11 at 10:02 PM.

Honestly, I've thought about this idea myself, but on a grander scale. Basically, ditch LFR and replace it with Garrison Raids. The idea is that you do the raid as a single player, but the rest of the raid members are made up of NPCs from your garrison. I mean, the sort of people who do LFR are typically solo players anyways. Plus, Blizz could actually give the difficulty some form of progression, since you'd need to gear up your garrison and yourself in order to get further into the raid. And since it's singleplayer, there would be no queues for anyone.

I'd still say it should drop gear that is lesser quality than real raids, but I feel like it would give the LFR audience the experience they really want without having to deal with the toxic community.

I'd like an option of NPC replacements for all activities, but NPCs are hard to program so they work sensibly. You end up nerfing the encounter instead, and that's not good. Maybe it's fine for LFR though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, with all the bots we got now, I'll take one of those working ones over an AFK /follow one.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't care at all. I do LFr just to get gear and when I feel like raiding due to boredom, but down't want to actually wait to get a group (Tank queues FTW). I usually wind up solo tanking anyways so I really don't care.

I would run LFR exactly the way I do now and the only thing I may notice is that the NPC's are not AFK and there is not vitriol being spewed...Now that i think of it, this may be an improvement.

This is a bad idea. Part of the fun of LFR is watching everyone rage at each other and bitch about bad loot rng.