15+ Year Old Account

Question Old Hunter Returning

I hope to finish off Cataclysm with my hunter - which goes to show how long it's been since I played him. I'm a bit confused, though. Can hunters no longer equip handheld weapons while wielding a ranged weapon? I had a polearm equipped and had to buy a gun, but it replaced the polearm in my weapon slot. Do hunters still use handheld weapons at all? These might seem like really dumb questions, but for someone that hasn't played a hunter in 2+ years, a lot has changed.
    For the Alliance!

Deleted
    Nah, it's just a bow/gun/crossbow now. No stat sticks

No one handers, no stat sticks, nothing but ranged weapons only now.

only useable weapons nowdays is what alth said.
    Last edited by Speedlance; 2014-06-14 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    I hope to finish off Cataclysm with my hunter - which goes to show how long it's been since I played him. I'm a bit confused, though. Can hunters no longer equip handheld weapons while wielding a ranged weapon? I had a polearm equipped and had to buy a gun, but it replaced the polearm in my weapon slot. Do hunters still use handheld weapons at all? These might seem like really dumb questions, but for someone that hasn't played a hunter in 2+ years, a lot has changed.
    Wat.

You played a melee Huntard in Cata?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters can still equip melee weapons, but it unequips your ranged and you no longer have any spells/special attacks that use a melee weapon.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can use either melee weapons, or ranged weapons. Not both at the same time, like it used to be.

Implying that its a real choice :P
    Retired hunter

Didn't Azo have a vid up of him meleeing on Dark Shamans? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Azabondiia View Post
    Anyone who has not done heroic raiding, is John Snow - and knows nothing. It's the most unforgiving gaming experience you can imagine

Someone did, it wasn't Azor though. But it was flex.

Melee weapons and staves are just for RPing now. Only viable weapons are guns, bows, and crossbows.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Wat.

You played a melee Huntard in Cata?
    I think I vendored my bow a few weeks ago when I was cleaning out my alts' bags. I didn't realise that hunters didn't have a separate ranged slot anymore. It must have defaulted to the two-hander I had equipped in the handheld slots and put the bow in my bags. No worries, though. He is level 83, so I have all of Uldum to rip through and get gear / weapon upgrades.

Thanks for the replies. So essentially, it makes no sense whatsoever to even consider hanging onto polearms for transmog, as we are more than likely going to be utilising ranged weapons 100% of the time. Unless, of course, someone were to auto-equip a handheld while in a city...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Hunters can still equip melee weapons, but it unequips your ranged and you no longer have any spells/special attacks that use a melee weapon.
    I was wondering where Wing Clip went... That move was key when killing the Burning Steppes (?) demon for the Rhok'delar quest.

Another question, though, in lieu of starting a fresh thread: what is the basic rotation for a hunter while questing / in a dungeon. I have to ease back into it and get in touch with the class again. Think I've managed to set his bars up pretty well, but what is our priority, etc? I barely played since the advent of focus, so it is still kind of a new thing for me, as hard as that may be for some players to grasp.
    Last edited by Geckomayhem; 2014-06-16 at 12:19 AM.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    I think I vendored my bow a few weeks ago when I was cleaning out my alts' bags. I didn't realise that hunters didn't have a separate ranged slot anymore. It must have defaulted to the two-hander I had equipped in the handheld slots and put the bow in my bags. No worries, though. He is level 83, so I have all of Uldum to rip through and get gear / weapon upgrades.

Thanks for the replies. So essentially, it makes no sense whatsoever to even consider hanging onto polearms for transmog, as we are more than likely going to be utilising ranged weapons 100% of the time. Unless, of course, someone were to auto-equip a handheld while in a city...

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering where Wing Clip went... That move was key when killing the Burning Steppes (?) demon for the Rhok'delar quest.

Another question, though, in lieu of starting a fresh thread: what is the basic rotation for a hunter while questing / in a dungeon. I have to ease back into it and get in touch with the class again. Think I've managed to set his bars up pretty well, but what is our priority, etc? I barely played since the advent of focus, so it is still kind of a new thing for me, as hard as that may be for some players to grasp.
    What spec?

Level as survival is my advice. Pick spirit bond, thrill of the hunt, blink strikes as your talents. Prioritize explosive shot then black arrow then serpent sting. Use cobra shot to regain focus and arcane shot when u have excess focus. It's pretty easy once u get used to it. Survival is also good to pull multiple mobs etc. every move can be used on the move, surv basics are pretty easy and similar to how it was last expansion.
    Last edited by Kissthebaby; 2014-06-16 at 12:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought survival was all about traps? Hmmm, I currently have an MM and a BM spec. I'll give Surv a shot, though. I was never great at using traps, even since the advent of Trap Launcher. Thanks for the advice. Sounds fun.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    they arent about traps so much anymore....