Poll: Would you like a lore-centric major patch?

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Opinions on a filler major patch that tied up and added new lore stories?

Back when I answered a recent topic on when the smaller stories of the game went unanswered, I had the idea of a patch that tied up the current existing story threads, and maybe added a few new ones to continue into the future.
    I'm sure there are many people out there that have enjoyed questing through the revamped Cataclysm zones, but have found yourself curious about when some of the unanswered plots will be addressed in the future.
    Who wouldn't want to see the people of Westfall clear up the area around Sentinel Hill after that zone's cliffhanger?
    What did happen with Sensiria when you quested in Feralas?
    When will Magatha Grimtotem and her lackies return?

I'm sure many people would also like to experience single-player scenarios for some of the bigger stories. As King Wrynn says at the end of SoO,
    We need to investigate the cleansing the plague from Gilneas lands so they can rebuild. We must contain Sylvanas.
    Wouldn't it be cool to land on the beach, fight your way up, and slowly but surely eradicate the plague from Gilneas? I'd sure as hell play that.

This lore would be ideal for a major patch between the final raid tier patch and the next expansion (So like a ?.5 patch). I'm not sure what else could be contained in such a patch, but surely you all might have some suggestions what to add along side this.

So how do you feel having new quests and single-player scenarios as part of a patch? Does it excite you? What would you improve or add to it? Share your thoughts down below!
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Single-player scenario's are exactly for that reason and I'd be surprised if we don't get any in Warlords. They're the greatest way of showing lore progression outside of a new quest hub, in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Minor lore patch would be nice ye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Ofcourse.
    Or do people particularly enjoy grinding garrosh for ~13 months?

Id even be fine with a entire patch just dedicated to reconnecting blood elf lands to azeroth and updating it to the current timeline.
    Could include flying draeni city & reconnection of dreanei zones too.

Better yet, mabye we could assist silvermoon in its rebuilding & assist the dreanei in finalizing the repairs of their ship.

But there is no excuse for a massive gap in content even after they promissed to speed it up after the Last massive gap.. dragonsoul.

Don't get me wrong, a filler patch would be nice right about now...but it would only delay WoD even more, so I'd vote for no. The thing about filler patches is, they don't last long. Take Ruby Sanctum, that didn't exactly keep things fresh for very long. Doing something more in depth like taking back Gilneas or overhauling the Draenei and Blood Elf zones would require a lot of time. It's just not worth delaying WoD by another month or two just to have a cheap filler patch to tide us over through the content gap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    Don't get me wrong, a filler patch would be nice right about now...but it would only delay WoD even more, so I'd vote for no. The thing about filler patches is, they don't last long. Take Ruby Sanctum, that didn't exactly keep things fresh for very long. Doing something more in depth like taking back Gilneas or overhauling the Draenei and Blood Elf zones would require a lot of time. It's just not worth delaying WoD by another month or two just to have a cheap filler patch to tide us over through the content gap.
    I know, I'm just referring to the concept as something for future expansions to consider when many people complain about a lack of content.
    As for the gap between ICC and Cataclysm, that had a year long gap. 6 months after that patch was released, we received RS. Soon after (2 months, that is), we had 2 world events added. We then had the part of the Elemental Unrest world event happening for 3 weeks, beginning on November 1st.
    We had enough content for the last half of that year-long wait. I just wonder what was stopping them from creating content for this current bridge between 5.4 and WoD. Obviously doing something now would delay the expansion, but I hope they correct their mistakes in the future.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    I know, I'm just referring to the concept as something for future expansions to consider when many people complain about a lack of content.
    As for the gap between ICC and Cataclysm, that had a year long gap. 6 months after that patch was released, we received RS. Soon after (2 months, that is), we had 2 world events added. We then had the part of the Elemental Unrest world event happening for 3 weeks, beginning on November 1st.
    We had enough content for the last half of that year-long wait. I just wonder what was stopping them from creating content for this current bridge between 5.4 and WoD. Obviously doing something now would delay the expansion, but I hope they correct their mistakes in the future.
    I think they didn't expect WoD to take this long honestly, possibly a result of them reworking several zones and maybe something with their new file system slowing it down. If they had planned ahead for it it might have worked, but let's also be honest, this filler content doesn't last long. Operation Gnomeregan was fun for a day or two, then you were done with it once you ground through it on all the alts you wanted to have the item. We also know that WoD is going to have a world event involving the Iron Horde invading, which will likely the the equivalent of the elemental unrest. But even then that's not a filler patch, that's a 'the expansion's almost out' event. The difference being a filler patch would be there to give players something to do during a drought, the pre expansion events are literally a couple weeks before a whole new expansions worth of content and serve another purpose. And we're getting one of those for WoD.

All in all I think filler patches don't really add anything substantial that actually lasts long enough to really tide players over.

No question about it, it had to be done years ago. Major patches should be dedicated to something different then a new raid from time to time such as story, RP elements, cosmetic features and so on. ( though ofc still needs to focus on raids also from time to time )

Sadly,the majority of the story is told through books making WoW appear just like a empty shell,basically a errand boy simulator.Whenever i see Blizz say that they don't have the resources to show a certain event in game i just...

Quote Originally Posted by Haytham View Post
    No question about it, it had to be done years ago. Major patches should be dedicated to something different then a new raid from time to time such as story, RP elements, cosmetic features and so on. ( though ofc still needs to focus on raids also from time to time )

Sadly,the majority of the story is told through books making WoW appear just like a empty shell,basically a errand boy simulator.Whenever i see Blizz say that they don't have the resources to show a certain event in game i just...

Well MoP did have two 'story' patches, 5.1 and 5.3 and hopefully WoD will continue the pattern of alternating raid patches and story patches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    Well MoP did have two 'story' patches, 5.1 and 5.3 and hopefully WoD will continue the pattern of alternating raid patches and story patches.
    Didn't they also say they plan on having rep factions be similar to the 5.1 factions? To have those lore quests unlocked when your rep progresses higher, receive the odd cut scenes, and travel to the different corners and hidden spots of Draenor-that'd be awesome.
    If we do have story patches in future, they should use the better scenarios to tell the story-Dagger in the Dark, Blood in the Snow and Dark Heart of Pandaria are the best uses for the 3-man versions.