Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    *shrug*

That was supposed to induce a chuckle. Maybe it didn't. Such is life.
    Mine was too actually, I don't think our sarcasm is lining up today :P
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I don't think many people question that there are other people that think different things than them. Did you think this was profound?
    If you've cared to actually comprehend the comments made. It's seems completely relevant. Not sure how simple=profound! but obviously you responded. Also knowing and accepting are two very different things.

P values and confidence intervals don't real, shitlord. If you can't prove it like you can prove that 13 is a prime number, I can say it might not be true.
    13 is a prime number essentially by definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Mine was too actually, I don't think our sarcasm is lining up today :P
    Well, I can tell you there's no way my sarcasm meter broke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So, "10000" people were polled. The population of the United States is estimated at around 319 million. 75-80% of that are adults. If you really want to believe that polling 10000 people can give an accurate representation of what 250 million people think, even within an error margin of 20%, then good luck.
    Yes. It works just fine with smaller samples too, though 10k will give you a pretty good degree of accuracy, at least barring any other problems with the poll.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    How do you feel about them believing you deserve enternal agony in hell after you die?
    Whether that's true depends on their views regarding universalism.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is going places.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Christians aren't permitted to marry non-Christians. Even with most Protestant Christians (almost half of the population of the US) blatantly ignoring not only the advice of Paul, but the explicit words of Christ in regard to marriage, the results of the survey are to be expected.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    13 is a prime number essentially by definition.
    Dang, I really though the use of shitlord was a good sarcasm marker. I shall try harder next time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes. It works just fine with smaller samples too, though 10k will give you a pretty good degree of accuracy, at least barring any other problems with the poll.
    Right... How exactly do people who choose to answer polls represent people who don't? I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the people on this planet will refuse to take part in any poll, and thus the vast majority of the people can't be represented with the poll results. That gives a margin of error of most of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So, "10000" people were polled. The population of the United States is estimated at around 319 million. 75-80% of that are adults. If you really want to believe that polling 10000 people can give an accurate representation of what 250 million people think, even within an error margin of 20%, then good luck.

I mean, hell... People trust in TV show viewership numbers too, even though they're based on a handful of exemplars.
    Actually the size of that sample is far less important than how random the sample was.

In fact... check it out:

http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    I offered a solution, but it's not wanted. So around and around they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Like when my grandfather was dying, and we were all praying for his pain ot be gone soon, he would go like "Your god is evidently terrible if he's putting your grandpa through this", and just was really disrespectful of my beliefs in general. Like telling me I need to grow up and be my own woman when he caught me praying while I was staying with him once.
    This is how it feels to be proselytized. To be told (often by a stranger, often by loved ones) that you are misguided, wrong deceived, and immature, but without the threat of eternal torture at the end of it.

Lucky for you, outspoken atheists are like 2 or 3% of the population. I get to look forward to the possibility of that experience with some 92% of the people in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Hopefully to space, I wanna find and punch Jar Jar Bink's in the face.

I'm sure this thread will go places. There's not much to discuss without any remote evidence per usual.
    Stay salty my friends.

Dang, I really though the use of shitlord was a good sarcasm marker. I shall try harder next time.
    You'd better, you sprogstain!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I offered a solution, but it's not wanted. So around and around they go.
    Your "solution" was literally "recognize that other people believe different things". You then acted as though you had solved a difficult riddle. That Dunning-Kruger Effect seems relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    That's actually pretty chill. Usually a family will be real nice to you and then try to sneak conversion onto the person in question from my experience.
    They've openly expressed that it'd be nice if I convert, but they don't want to be "those Christians" and force it on me.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Your "solution" was literally "recognize that other people believe different things". You then acted as though you had solved a difficult riddle. That Dunning-Kruger Effect seems relevant.
    I said its simple, and it is. Unless you can't accept diversity. You seem to be trying very hard not to get the point, and angry just in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgetjones View Post
    I get to look forward to the possibility of that experience with some 92% of the people in my state.
    I recommend a better state and group of friends. Most Americans are Christian, but if you pick a region that isn't hot garbage, you're not likely to encounter much in the way of proselytization. I think in the last few years, I've encountered about a half dozen street preachers and that's it. Since splitting with my ex, I don't think a single person in my friends or family or even acquaintances circle has attempted to argue the matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    In fact... check it out:
    http://www.balancedpolitics.org/edit...inst_polls.htm