Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcuffel View Post
    But Stag Form came out in Mists...
    Technically it was the prepatch I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by morislayer View Post
    Yea I'm hoping this too. I'm seriously confused how they know what location you are in and if you want to be in what form. I have been in the water purposely jumping out to pop flight form because its so awesome to jump / flight form outta strange locations. Now will they see I'm in water and I can't cast Flight form?

Will jumping be a precursor to Flight Form? What if I just wanna speed the landscape as a bird (It is my favorite mount after all).

What about falling / cast flight form? Jumping off buildings to a certain death then casting flight form is great, hope that stays

This is not pruning to me. Each ability has a set function
    I would assume it works the same way the conditionals do in the powershift macros. Areas are marked as flyable/outdoors/indoors/swimming

This is my all-purpose powershift macro to give an example:
    /use [indoors,noform,nocombat]!Cat Form;[swimming]!Aquatic Form;[form:1]!Bear Form;[form:3]!Cat Form;[form:6]!Moonkin Form;[noform,nocombat,noswimming,flyable][form:7]!Swift Flight Form;!Travel Form
    What I don't like in the new system is that, usually, flight form is cancelled when interacting with something, while travel form is not. So sometimes, if the objectives are in a small area I just move between them in travel form so I won't have to recast it, even in flyable zones.

Also, like all automated systems, it's prone to break on any bug it comes across. Raid not flagged properly? Travel button throws errors etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Also, like all automated systems, it's prone to break on any bug it comes across. Raid not flagged properly? Travel button throws errors etc

I can stop you there slightly. This system is in the game already, allbeit not as it was originally formed. The Sky Golem! It has a ground-walking function like a normal gound mount. Hit the space bar and out come the propellers. Hold space, gain altitude and the hatch closes, wings fold up. Dive the in water and these small elbow propellers move it forward like a submarine. While it won't give underwater breathing and faster swimspeed, the animations were kept in. In beta it had a fully-functioning underwater mode. It was nerfed for being... lets face it, too good.

I believe this was originally the test for the new travel form function. Meaning that it should be able to work with little difficulty. As for any errors, if any appear I'm willing to wager they will be graphical.

You're confusing animations with mechanics, Teebone. All things you describe the sky golem as doing are merely animations. That's nothing like what Travel Form does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    You're confusing animations with mechanics, Teebone. All things you describe the sky golem as doing are merely animations. That's nothing like what Travel Form does.
    He's talking about how the underlying code is there to automatically determine where the player is and call the appropriate functions. In the Sky Golem's case, those functions are different animations. With Travel Form, the different forms would be called instead.

Yeah, but that code has been in since vanilla. The code that actually makes us switch between forms is the one that is likely to break, and that has no connection to the Sky Golem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but that code has been in since vanilla. The code that actually makes us switch between forms is the one that is likely to break, and that has no connection to the Sky Golem.
    WTF would this be any more likely to break than current flying mounts? Running on the ground with mount activates "ground form", jump automatically activates "flight form". Each "form" for these mounts has different characteristics (animation and movement speed). This shit already exists. The only difference with the new Travel Form is sticking aquatic into it. Just consider the change in animal model to be part of animation.

EDIT: And don't mounts already automatically change their movement characteristics when you go into water?
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-06-26 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    WTF would this be any more likely to break than current flying mounts? Running on the ground with mount activates "ground form", jump automatically activates "flight form". Each "form" for these mounts has different characteristics (animation and movement speed). This shit already exists. The only difference with the new Travel Form is sticking aquatic into it. Just consider the change in animal model to be part of animation.

EDIT: And don't mounts already automatically change their movement characteristics when you go into water?
    Water is simply a debuff for slower movement. Mount animations don't really compare to forms because a mount is made to perform differently in different environments. Forms on the other hand are separate entities and each one does not have the abilities of the other.

It's one of those changes that are neither good or bad, with some advantages and disadvantages, but belong to the changes that give meaning to " Why change it if it isn't broken?"

Most keybinds involve the combat forms anyway and you will still need a powershift macro to remove snares/roots from travel forms, so for the majority of the people this accomplishes absolutely nothing, besides removing the aesthetic choice.

It's more likely to break because it actually does more. It's a huge difference whether you just play a different animation or actually change to a different buff upon entering water. If it broke on the Sky Golem, all that would do is show the wrong animation. If it breaks on Travel Form, we end up not getting the benefits of Aquatic.

It's a massive difference from a programming perspective. Sky Golem always has a flight speed. Ground form doesn't, only Flight, and only Aquatic has a swim speed. Sky Golem merely animates its single model differently depending on the medium you move in. Travel Form actually changes to a different model for each. If things get messed up, you might end up turning into a Stag in midair, or suddenly fly around underwater and loose your waterbreathing.

Mounts always have the same movement characteristics. Your swimspeed doesn't change when you enter water, only the mounts animation.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's more likely to break because it actually does more. It's a huge difference whether you just play a different animation or actually change to a different buff upon entering water. If it broke on the Sky Golem, all that would do is show the wrong animation. If it breaks on Travel Form, we end up not getting the benefits of Aquatic.

It's a massive difference from a programming perspective. Sky Golem always has a flight speed. Ground form doesn't, only Flight, and only Aquatic has a swim speed. Sky Golem merely animates its single model differently depending on the medium you move in. Travel Form actually changes to a different model for each. If things get messed up, you might end up turning into a Stag in midair, or suddenly fly around underwater and loose your waterbreathing.

Mounts always have the same movement characteristics. Your swimspeed doesn't change when you enter water, only the mounts animation.
    But in the Sky Golem's case in beta, it changed to a swim speed buff with underwater breathing. It worked perfectly. This is why I believe the Sky Golem was the original test for this change.

Did it really change, or did the Sky Golem just have a swim speed buff and Water Breathing by default?

Though the water breathing would be impossible to test, since you have no way of telling while outside water.

That's another possibility I fear. Cross-zone dismounting comes to mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    That's another possibility I fear. Cross-zone dismounting comes to mind.
    Isn't that the same even if you are on a flying mount?

Isn't that the same even if you are on a flying mount?
    It was an example. Meanwhile, i found an actual problem: You can't enter water while flying, so you have to unshift and then shift back into travel to make a splash.

Also, currently you turn into flight if in a flight enabled area. Regardless of combat.

The biggest problem with the new Travel Form on beta is that you literally can not do anything without manually exiting Travel/Flight/Aquatic form. You can't cast Moonfire, you can't cast Rejuv, you can't shift to another form, and using those abilities doesn't just auto drop Travel form like it does on live. You actually have to manually get to caster form first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    The biggest problem with the new Travel Form on beta is that you literally can not do anything without manually exiting Travel/Flight/Aquatic form. You can't cast Moonfire, you can't cast Rejuv, you can't shift to another form, and using those abilities doesn't just auto drop Travel form like it does on live. You actually have to manually get to caster form first.
    Does that apply to all other forms as well? There's scripting that will disable auto-dropping out of forms when attempting to cast. It may just be enabled by default for all druid stuff.

No, just Travel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    It's an option you can set. By default its that way on live too. It's in Options/Controls. Just check Auto Dismount in flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    It's an option you can set. By default its that way on live too. It's in Options/Controls. Just check Auto Dismount in flight.
    On live, with or without that option checked, if you are in Flight Form (or Travel Form) on the ground and hit a mob with Moonfire, you drop directly into caster form. The only thing that option does is, if you are flying, if the option is unchecked, you can't cast spells that would dismount/drop you. With the option checked, and you Moonfire something in the air, you drop to caster form.

On beta, no matter whether or whether not you have that option checked, you can not exit travel form by casting a spell or even by shifting to another form. You have to exit travel form manually before you can do ANYTHING.

Oh jeez, just when I thought it couldn't get more annoying.