Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How much validity? WOW to console...

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/ar...-how-itll-work

It's about wow coming to consoles.

After reading this I wondered if this is why we are seeing a massive time of no new content to live.

Is this why we are seeing such ability pruning and a trimming down of in game mechanics (many probably behind the scenes) so that blizzard can put wow to console. With console gaming having only a certain amount of hardware to deal with and only so many buttons to work with could that be why we see some changes to wow as we are seeing?

Do you think this process is why we are seeing such delays in the overall wow game?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not happening. It's not even a matter of it being possible - Blizzard made it very, very clear it is never, ever happening.

Now I'm not one to say Blizzard can't change their mind but I can't imagine it would work anyway. I can't see how you'd heal efficiently in a raid setting, much less battlegrounds. And the hardware - most framerate limitations are due to the CPU bottleneck of being able to communicate what 10 - 40 people are doing at the same time you are. Consoles? No.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooo

ok?

No. Even though I'm someone who generally prefers console gaming over PC gaming, there just isn't any way WoW could work on consoles. The ability pruning doesn't even scratch the surface of what would need to be changed to make it fit for a controller. Not happening.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post

After reading this I wondered if this is why we are seeing a massive time of no new content to live.

Is this why we are seeing such ability pruning and a trimming down of in game mechanics (many probably behind the scenes) so that blizzard can put wow to console. With console gaming having only a certain amount of hardware to deal with and only so many buttons to work with could that be why we see some changes to wow as we are seeing?

Do you think this process is why we are seeing such delays in the overall wow game?
    Bolded:That's because they are finishing up the new expansion, Quite obviously, which everyone seems to forget.
    And OT: Nah, I don't see it ever happening, it maybe could if everyone keybinded, But Blizz knows that's not the case, and on consoles I think it could work find for those who do bind, but those who don't couldn't play it with the modifiers needed^^

Deleted
    I don't see WoW coming to the consoles, but either way it could work if mouse and keyboard was required, but nonetheless, that would be another expense for some people and therefore it will not happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW will make the jump to consoles. Eventually.

That'll be about the same time the Dance Studio and Path of the Titans get released too.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

Oh you mean like in ICC and Cata? Oh I guess WoW is already on console then.

If they make a joy pad with twice as much buttons, it would still not work fow wow. Diablo is hack&slash, and has 6 total buttons you press while fighting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop making these threads. It's never going to happen. Besides it's not even worth it. Someone who plays primarily on a console will most likely have no interest in wow. Also, no one who plays wow on a pc would stop and go play on a console.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    WoW will make the jump to consoles. Eventually.

That'll be about the same time the Dance Studio and Path of the Titans get released too.
    Nope. World of Warcraft will never see consoles as we know it, it would have to change a lot and it's not worth it anyways. Just the social part of the game, involving forums, etc... It simply isn't practical, that's about it

Probably and hopefully not happening.

I don't imagine that it's ever going to happen.

Also...I can't imagine playing WoW with a controller, even if it is one of those modern controllers that has like 500 buttons on it.

Deleted
    Not going to happen.
    All the technical and controls issues aside, console gamers wouldn't want to play a 10 year old game on their brand new consoles.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Nope. World of Warcraft will never see consoles as we know it, it would have to change a lot and it's not worth it anyways. Just the social part of the game, involving forums, etc... It simply isn't practical, that's about it
    While I was being sarcastic (as we'll never see the Dance Studio and Path of the Titans =P), you'd be surprised how well it'd work on a console. FF14 does it well - yes, I know it was designed from the ground up to play on the console as well as the PC, but it plays pretty much identically on the PC as WoW and the transition to console is rather smooth (especially with the PS4's keyboard and mouse support).

As a note, I do play FF14 both on PC and console, both tanking and DPS (I do healing as well, but solely on the PC because I don't trust myself to swap quick enough on the controller). It plays fine once you get used to a controller and with the PS4, you can just keyboard & mouse it.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

Deleted
    I don't see how a typical console controller could handle it.

---edit---

I stand corrected. Apparently this thing can brew its own coffee too.

Last edited by mmocb81a468aa4; 2014-07-09 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travio View Post
    While I was being sarcastic (as we'll never see the Dance Studio and Path of the Titans =P), you'd be surprised how well it'd work on a console. FF14 does it well - yes, I know it was designed from the ground up to play on the console as well as the PC, but it plays pretty much identically on the PC as WoW and the transition to console is rather smooth (especially with the PS4's keyboard and mouse support).

As a note, I do play FF14 both on PC and console, both tanking and DPS (I do healing as well, but solely on the PC because I don't trust myself to swap quick enough on the controller). It plays fine once you get used to a controller and with the PS4, you can just keyboard & mouse it.
    Thats a good example.

And while D3 is not an MMO, it was ported over pretty easily. Social aspect in tack. Play pretty much the same overall.

The article was interesting enough and had some solid points on how it make it happen. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see blizzard trying to move wow into that genera of gaming. It's an untapped cash stream for them on their most successful franchise. With wow's declining numbers what better way than to add in an entirely different platform.

Sure, there are a lot of things that would have to happen in game. Maybe there happening now and we're seeing other things slow down because of it and a new expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PGGR View Post
    I don't see how a typical console controller could handle it.
    Every copy of WoW for console would come with a keyboard and 5+ button mouse. Although, taking a page from various anime where powerful spells have requisite incantation, a lot of keybinds and action bar space could be voice-controlled.

It might be tedious for a lot of melee classes but casters with so few instant cast or the GCD preventing the quick overlapping or simultaneous use of instant cast spells, I could see it working. The ability to macro would need to remain intact so you could still roll up trinkets and consumables and effects not on the GCD into spell usage but it could work. You'd just need something that tracks faster and more precisely than a joypad in order to do mouse-over targeting with your cursor. I've never understood the popularity of shooters on the console because of the limited speed and precision of joypad targeting, if you're not essentially cheating with auto-targeting and snap-to targeting.
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 2014-07-09 at 03:41 PM.

Blizzard answered the question of WoW and consoles already..they said "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's not happening. It's not even a matter of it being possible - Blizzard made it very, very clear it is never, ever happening.

Now I'm not one to say Blizzard can't change their mind but I can't imagine it would work anyway. I can't see how you'd heal efficiently in a raid setting, much less battlegrounds. And the hardware - most framerate limitations are due to the CPU bottleneck of being able to communicate what 10 - 40 people are doing at the same time you are. Consoles? No.
    Honestly I thought the same for a while. And maybe while you or I can't imagine how some things are possible like healing, it doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible or something the minds at Blizzard can't figure out.

I think the major thing that convinces me otherwise on the console thing is just the sheer amount of content they would need to push. Not being a game developer, I have no clue how much work that actually is, but reworking battlegrounds as such might be a big deal.

I think it would be a separate server though. The only major thing is communication. I don't see console players all grabbing keyboards. What I do see happening however is voice channels and being able to just talk to your group. Most console players do have a mic.

You also don't need to assume WoW as it is would be ported in its entirety. D3 PC is slightly different than the console version, especially in the UI department.