Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    lol@irony
    I never assumed everyone plays the same way as myself or sees things as I do.

The passive aggressiveness in your first sentence is snooze-level comedy. Blizzard could just as easily make the "max level content" that you praise ground-mount-only and leave flying in for max-level for past zones before 6.1's release. You're discussing that Blizzard doesn't want people hopping left and right for questing. Did we do that in MoP? No. So where is this idea stemming from? Cataclysm four years ago? Please. Those areas were even designed with flying in mind.

Flight paths will never be as handy as flying mounts. They're just like portals. Old-fashioned travel meant for a game that started 10 years ago. And yes. I would still want flying mounts despite if they had the same speed as ground mounts. Because fuck those terraformed generic mountains.
    He asked me to see it from his point of view, so I did. Maybe empathy is a foreign concept in your world, but it isn't in mine.

It's my understanding that all zones, even the starter zones, will have max level content, so that's why your suggestion won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    I never assumed everyone plays the same way as myself or sees things as I do.

He asked me to see it from his point of view, so I did. Maybe empathy is a foreign concept in your world, but it isn't in mine.

It's my understanding that all zones, even the starter zones, will have max level content, so that's why your suggestion won't work.
    You took one sentence to "empathize" and just decided to make it a joke so that your argument could seem coherent. There's nothing about that that screams "humanizing". And there's no way it could be implemented via Timeless Isle/Isle of Giants gating? Come on man...

The problem is the assumption that everyone thinks the same way as you two and wants to play the game in the same way as you two.

OK, I get where you're coming from. Any added travel time is a nuisance because you'd rather not be travelling in the first place.
    But this isn't really about added travel time. This is about the way content is approached. Blizzard doesn't seem to want people to play as helicopters in questing areas. It's not so much about making you wade through a sea of low-level mobs as it is forcing you to complete actual max level content by way of the ground.
    Added travel time is one of those things that can be remedied by tweaking flight paths, which have yet to be perfected from my understanding of beta's current state

If ground mounds moved at the same speed as flying mounts would it still matter to you that you can't fly?

I don't mind some travel. I think teleporting everywhere, like in skyrim, is immersion breaking, but to increase the time we spend in the world in this way is extremely sleazy.

No, it's not about "helicoptering" and more about wasting time wading through low level mobs. Why do I think this way? Because the max level content is spread throughout each zone. Meaning that you have to back track to the low level zones to do them. This is their way to slow down content consumption. Spread it all out and make the only way to get to them is through loopy(yes, they're still loopy) flight paths and ground mounts which are inhibited by terrain(like mountains).

After you complete all those high level quests, and there is nothing in the continent of Draenor to do. Wouldn't you want to be able to fly so that you can get to instances and raids faster? Or, if you're like me, wouldn't you want to have flying to gain a whole new prospective on the content you spent all that time leveling on? This renews the game for me and adds more things to it. I love flying because of many reasons. If they added more land mass to increase my time flying through the world I wouldn't mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    After you complete all those high level quests, and there is nothing in the continent of Draenor to do. Wouldn't you want to be able to fly so that you can get to instances and raids faster? Or, if you're like me, wouldn't you want to have flying to gain a whole new prospective on the content you spent all that time leveling on? This renews the game for me and adds more things to it. I love flying because of many reasons. If they added more land mass to increase my time flying through the world I wouldn't mind.
    Rather than subjective POV reasoning, why not mention that once you complete all the "max level content" that the game has to offer, there is little else to do but micromanage your Garrison and achievement-hunt. And riding around low level mobs and retarded mountains is not fun when you want to achievement hunt.

Why are you all even playing an open world game if you don't want anything to do with the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    Why are you all even playing an open world game if you don't want anything to do with the world?
    Stop strawmanning. Where did I say I don't want to do anything in the open world?

You and your constant fallacious statements...

I think I am just going to put you on ignore. Just a fair warning so that you don't have to spend your time responding to someone that can't read your posts. You're welcome.

You took one sentence to "empathize" and just decided to make it a joke so that your argument could seem coherent. There's nothing about that that screams "humanizing". And there's no way it could be implemented via Timeless Isle/Isle of Giants gating? Come on man...
    If that's your perception, so be it, just remember that perceptions are not always correct.

What, so you think parts of zones should be no fly zones? I mean it COULD work, it's conceivable from a lore perspective too, but I wonder how the mechanics would work exactly.

No, it's not about "helicoptering" and more about wasting time wading through low level mobs. Why do I think this way? Because the max level content is spread throughout each zone. Meaning that you have to back track to the low level zones to do them. This is their way to slow down content consumption. Spread it all out and make the only way to get to them is through loopy(yes, they're still loopy) flight paths and ground mounts which are inhibited by terrain(like mountains).
    I like max level content spread out a lot more than condensed in all one area. It makes the world seem more like a world IMO. Classic WoW was this way, with end game content spread out, and I liked that too. So it might be a perk that it might take people longer to move from zone to zone to complete content from a financial standpoint, but I'm not sure that's the reason they designed the world that way.

I do, I agree that that would be a nice reward, which is why I'm strongly inclined to believe flying will return in 6.1, or at a point where Blizzard has reason to believe that the playerbase at large has completed the Draenor max level content. Getting to instances and raids marginally faster is pretty "meh" to me, it's mostly being able to see the world from a new perspective.

Stop strawmanning. Where did I say I don't want to do anything in the open world?

You and your constant fallacious statements...

I think I am just going to put you on ignore. Just a fair warning so that you don't have to spend your time responding to someone that can't read your posts. You're welcome.
    You're complaining about having to go through the world rather than hopping from one location to the next. I think I understand you perfectly clearly. Your problem is that you only see it as 'wading through low level mobs'. That's part of what the world is, obviously it's not what you want. Ignore me then, it seems to be the go to option for countering people you don't agree with.

I have a feeling that there wouldn't be anything Bliz could put in the world that people wouldn't name tedious. Would you rather 'wade' through tough high level mobs and get there even slower? What would make it worth it to you? My guess is nothing short of those mobs dropping gear or gold. Tell me what it is that would make traveling through the world worth it.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2014-07-12 at 11:05 PM.

I like max level content spread out a lot more than condensed in all one area. It makes the world seem more like a world IMO. Classic WoW was this way, with end game content spread out, and I liked that too. So it might be a perk that it might take people longer to move from zone to zone to complete content from a financial standpoint, but I'm not sure that's the reason they designed the world that way.
    I honestly don't mind content in different zones. A change of scenery is always good. It's just the way they're making these quests far from flight paths and through windy caverns so that they force you to slow down that I have a problem with.

I honestly don't mind content in different zones. A change of scenery is always good. It's just the way they're making these quests far from flight paths and through windy caverns so that they force you to slow down that I have a problem with.
    Exactly, a change of scenery is always good. As far as meandering flight paths, I don't think that does any good. They can't have their cake and eat it too: they need to make flight paths more direct if they want this no flying change to really succeed.
    You're in beta, you should offer this feedback if you haven't already.

What, so you think parts of zones should be no fly zones? I mean it COULD work, it's conceivable from a lore perspective too, but I wonder how the mechanics would work exactly.
    Well, Lore hasn't been right with game mechanics ever since BC. They can work up another Timedump Isle "timey-wimey" excuse.

It's a better concept, but I disagree with how far they are pushing it so that we have to take alternative methods of travel just to get there. It will just be MoP 5.0 all over again, sans the flying of course. Vale Dailies, then Dread Wastes, then Halfhill, then August Celestials, then Shado-Pan...
    Of course, unless you do one at a time. That constitutes something else entirely, as you don't move at all.

I do, I agree that that would be a nice reward, which is why I'm strongly inclined to believe flying will return in 6.1, or at a point where Blizzard has reason to believe that the playerbase at large has completed the Draenor max level content. Getting to instances and raids marginally faster is pretty "meh" to me, it's mostly being able to see the world from a new perspective.
    They said flying would return in 6.1 unless the playerbase loves losing their flight. And it'd have to be a very strange occurrence for the playerbase not to miss flying. It will be implemented when: Most of their players lash out or we get 6.1 and they decide to bring it back for the hefty lump sum of 5,000 gold. (or whatever amount they decide to goldsink into the game)

- - - Updated - - -

You're complaining about having to go through the world rather than hopping from one location to the next. I think I understand you perfectly clearly. Your problem is that you only see it as 'wading through low level mobs'. That's part of what the world is, obviously it's not what you want. Ignore me then, it seems to be the go to option for countering people you don't agree with.

I have a feeling that there wouldn't be anything Bliz could put in the world that people wouldn't name tedious. Would you rather 'wade' through tough high level mobs and get there even slower? What would make it worth it to you? My guess is nothing short of those mobs dropping gear or gold. Tell me what it is that would make traveling through the world worth it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_%28fallacy%29

[QUOTE=Aeno;28192255]They said flying would return in 6.1 unless the playerbase loves losing their flight. And it'd have to be a very strange occurrence for the playerbase not to miss flying. It will be implemented when: Most of their players lash out or we get 6.1 and they decide to bring it back for the hefty lump sum of 5,000 gold. (or whatever amount they decide to goldsink into the game)

I am more inclined to think 6.1 will happen before a lash out.

I am more inclined to think 6.1 will happen before a lash out.
    It takes at least 8 weeks for most of the playerbase to hit max level? Well then...

It takes at least 8 weeks for most of the playerbase to hit max level? Well then...
    In other words, I don't think a lash-out is going to happen. There will doubtless be a reaction, but not of that magnitude.

Deleted

Their non-instanced world is related with my performance in instanced world, via reps, dailes and farming.

I want to be done with it as soon as possible, I'm not getting my money's worth in it. I do get it in raids, dungeons, etc. I want to skip it. Just because it's there doesn't mean it's good. Waisting more time in it won't make it better. Better will make it better.

Themepark MMO, we're paying for the rides, not travel time between. And yes, farming and dailes are ride. Not travel time between them.

In other words, I don't think a lash-out is going to happen. There will doubtless be a reaction, but not of that magnitude.
    You really think people are going to be okay spending 50% of their time traveling?

So you cherrypicked the one part of my response that was hypothetical in nature to describe possibilities of WoD's release with no real purpose other than to toss your 2 cents in for how I described a reaction? /golfclap

Give it a few more hours and I'm sure somebody will find a good, juicy post to quote to revive the discussion that never started.

Not that I'm going to say I'm for one or the other, but I do think the zones were designed better before they were designed with flying in mind. Some zones which were designed to accommodate flying seemed pretty horrendous. (See: Cata leveling zones)

Other than that, I'm neutral on the issue. I'll miss flying, but I do have quite a bit of nostalgia for the days of everyone being on the ground and a 100% mount actually having meaning to it.