Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    They should make it so that the Lich King nearly wipes out all of the High Elf civilization, and that the majority of the survivors eventually join up with the Horde under the name "Blood Elves".
    Haha, so much this.

This High Elf playable race crap really needs to stop. Both factions have an elf race, we do not need anymore. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Araxie View Post
    Haha, so much this.

This High Elf playable race crap really needs to stop. Both factions have an elf race, we do not need anymore. Period.
    clearly the majority of people with 1001 posts about this disagree, and for those who don't care, they won't care if they get another elf race or an alien, they'll just keep playing. It's not like lore is significantly empahsized in this game.. but if it were, this plays in favour of playable high elves not against. Because the alternative options for the alliance are weak atm.

Ogres & Mok'nathal - horde
    Arrakoar - horde
    Naga - horde

furbolg - alliance (but too bestial)
    Cenarians - alliance (but half-stag has gearing issues i'm not sure they want to tackle, they can if they get creative but puts them low)

other option is a brand new race, new lore etc..but then without a Wc4, or proper story game to properly introduce a race, like they did the Night elves and the undead, you're not going to get nowhere near the same impact in wow. Every playable race to date was around pre-wow. the only ones not there are worgen and they are human really so they tie into Gilneas.

i agree with those who say high elves on the alliance is not a "new race" worthy option, but they're either in denial or trying to manipulate opinion if they say it's not a good choice for a playable faction. It is clearly popular and engaging enough as it is, so when they do sub races, they need to do something or find a way to make them playable

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    They should make it so that the Lich King nearly wipes out all of the High Elf civilization, and that the majority of the survivors eventually join up with the Horde under the name "Blood Elves".
    The interwebs is awesome some times. Dragging on a discussion that got resolved in the first reply.
    But who am I to judge, I'm about to jump right in.

Firstly, I think that High Elves are an important part of Wow Lore. Having played a large role in many important events (on both the 'right' and the 'wrong' side) in Azeroth history. They deserve their spot among the other important races.
    I'm also under the impression that High Elves as we once knew them are gone. Civilisations evolve and change over time and so did theirs. The majority went on, under the name Blood Elf. Similar to high elves, and still living largely as there forefathers once did, but changed due to cataclysmic events we all know well enough. Some of them went a different way and they are still High Elf as individual. And there are probably still Elves out their that can't choose or simply don't know what to do. There isn't however, a society left that can be called High Elven.
    I also believe this is a good thing. It makes for a compelling story. Much more so then a lot of generic Elves we see in other media that portraits Elves in any form.

*drama-mode*
    My interest for Elves in any media has always been slim. Most of them are just to perfect, human but better. Which annoys me, so I tend to not like them. Once the majority of the High Elves went on as Blood Elves for the first time Elves started getting interesting to me. And since then they kept that appeal.
    With every hardship and victory I liked them better. The addiction and over coming that as best as possible, getting left by their leader and carrying on regardless, a new found alliance and how to deal with playing second fiddle and finally getting comfortable enough to act as an equal in that alliance. Finally I'm seeing real people, not just slightly better humans always one step ahead of world events.
    Don't undo all what the former High Elves have become in one single blow. Simply doing the old 'we're the same, but slightly better' routine again. Not just destroying what Blood Elves are, but also destroying the notion that Elves can be something else then generally portrayed.
    *end-drama-mode*

Final note: Whatever blizzard want, blizzard gets. If they decide High Elves is what the game needs, we will get High Elves. They will shape lore and gameplay to fit. I however think (and hope) that there is a slim chance of it happening any-time soon.