Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Boomkin/frost mage/retalladin?

Hello guys. I know there are numbers of simillar posts and threads, but really need piece of advice
    I recently came back to WoW- haven't played since TBC/WotLK. Started playing about week ago on RagnarosEU. I really can't decide which one to play- Frost mage, Ret pally or Boomkin? I focus on PvP, but I also like to PvE sometimes. I'm not looking for FotM, I really enjoy that 3 specs and really cannot make up my mind. Can you give some tips? Of course considering upcoming expansion changes, which makes this choice even harder for me. Looking forward to hear something abouts this specs. Thanks in advance for every kind of help

Mages have always been good in PvP. IMHO you can't really go wrong there.

On the other hand, Retadins/Boomkins have always been hit and miss (sometimes they're awesome, sometimes they suck). However, I feel they offer a greater range of options, as you can always switch to being a healer or a tank, or feral dps in case of druid, if you get bored or your mainspec just isn't good. This will be even better in WoD because armor changes mainstat depending on your spec, so you can easily switch between playing a hpaladin and a retri paladin without needing to farm a new gear set.

Out of the 3 your best choices are Mage and Boomkin.

Mages are very powerful and a lot of fun to play. Though Hunters are in almost all teams these days so that makes life tough on a Mage.
    Boomkins on the other hand are quite strong, have a lot of utility through healing and CC and offer quite a bit to a 2s team, or 3s team.

Either way, both classes are fantastic choices.

Deleted
    Truth is that I really enjoy playing pally. I love his burst, and I had no problems fighting mages orboomkins so far.but I'm only 60 and I know that PVP IS balanced for max lvls. Having said that I am not sure if pally's dmg will be głód enough to fight in next 30 lvls. Frost mage and boomkin are only classes I would like to play (besides pall). I have no idea How things gonna change in WoD. That's why I'm asking my question :-)

Edit: I Dont want to play holy or prot pala, and.I hale feral. druga. I focus only on that spece I mentalne. Thanks for replies BTW ;-)
    Last edited by mmoc3db97841c3; 2014-08-18 at 02:17 AM.

Hope you like being trained because if you're a ret in arena you'll get trained super hard 70% of the time. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Deathrites Armory
    Orc Elemental Shaman
    Bleeding Hollow
    7/7 Heroic Highmaul
    1/7 Mythic Highmaul

10+ Year Old Account
    Play a Ret so you can play a braindead melee class and have the luxury to come to the forums and cry about how bad the spec is while tryharding it in random battlegrounds.

OP doesn't care about what is the best. He's the perfect Ret player. All he needs is the entitled attitude and the scrub mentality of 90% of Ret paladins and he'll be all set.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Play a Ret so you can play a braindead melee class and have the luxury to come to the forums and cry about how bad the spec is while tryharding it in random battlegrounds.

OP doesn't care about what is the best. He's the perfect Ret player. All he needs is the entitled attitude and the scrub mentality of 90% of Ret paladins and he'll be all set.

A guy that mains a Warrior and Rogue in PvP calling any other class entitled or scrub makes me laugh quite hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care what classes I play. The ones I play are scum and require no skill either. I'm not acting like some idiot that's "pro warrior" or "pro rogue." Only people who have a fanatical dedication to a stupid spec like Ret would feel the need to defend it while making wild claims of my character.

It's funny when people get super defensive over a class they pretend to own. Ret is not a sports team, its blizzard's class. And it doesn't take skill. Yeah sure, it may take more skill over those other two mindless classes (DK's, Warriors) but that's like saying using SMG's takes more skill than using Shotguns in fps games. It means absolutely nothing because both categories are still in the "no skill" tier.

Real good players play casters or stealth melee. Even stealth melee aren't as skilled as casters because they're still throttled skill cap wise by having to be in melee range.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care what classes I play. The ones I play are scum and require no skill either. I'm not acting like some idiot that's "pro warrior" or "pro rogue." Only people who have a fanatical dedication to a stupid spec like Ret would feel the need to defend it while making wild claims of my character.

It's funny when people get super defensive over a class they pretend to own. Ret is not a sports team, its blizzard's class. And it doesn't take skill. Yeah sure, it may take more skill over those other two mindless classes (DK's, Warriors) but that's like saying using SMG's takes more skill than using Shotguns in fps games. It means absolutely nothing because both categories are still in the "no skill" tier.

Real good players play casters or stealth melee. Even stealth melee aren't as skilled as casters because they're still throttled skill cap wise by having to be in melee range.
    My main is not a Ret Paladin, I just found it funny that someone just came and asked a simple question about which of 3 specs he should play and you felt the need to berate him on one of his possible choices.

But as I've come to learn from seeing your posts on this forum you are somewhat of a person who feel his opinion is needed even when it is not needed or irrelevant to what was asked.

Some people use the words of others, some people speak with experience.

Play what ever class you like the most, if you really do like all 3 the same pick which one you think looks the coolest - revolutionary I know.

My main is a ret, PvE it's fun and to play at the highest level isn't ridiculously face roll, it's obviously not the hardest spec in game.

Ret pvp is actually in my opinion, a higher skill cap. You really need to play support perfectly in order to be high ranking because we are so weak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    My main is not a Ret Paladin, I just found it funny that someone just came and asked a simple question about which of 3 specs he should play and you felt the need to berate him on one of his possible choices.

But as I've come to learn from seeing your posts on this forum you are somewhat of a person who feel his opinion is needed even when it is not needed or irrelevant to what was asked.
    I didn't berate him. I'm just giving honest advice for him based on what he described himself that he wants to play. When I see "I don't care for fotm" I automatically think of people who play Ret Paladins. Those people always pride themselves on playing what they claim to be a terrible spec. OP already has half their attitude, he just needs to get with the scrub mentality and he'll reach full ascension of a stereotypical Ret paladin.

Ret pvp is actually in my opinion, a higher skill cap. You really need to play support perfectly in order to be high ranking because we are so weak.
    Hahaha. This is similar to when I see tryhard DK's say that "DK's take skill because of Dark Sim and resource pooling" or when Warriors claim that their mindless class takes skill because of intervene or Spell reflection. These people always try and make their class harder than what it really is. Reality check for these people, 90% of those classes is just tunneling damage and being good at button mashing.

Ret is only a faction higher skill wise than those two other classes. Ret takes no skill because when you boil it down, its a spec that promotes mindless cleave play and participates in scum double melee comps or even triple dps. Ret being bad in arena is probably the single best thing MoP pvp has done right because when Ret is good it always brings mindless cleave comps to the forefront of the game. It needs to be kept down for the greater good of the game. Thankfully, I think the devs understand this.

Being weak in a season also doesn't make a class take more skill than others. This is like saying Season 11 Warriors took more skill to play than Season 11 Rogues because they were underpowered. It's just not true. Being underpowered generally means the class has a low tool kit or is gimmicky. Generally if a class has one or both of those traits, it's usually a lesser skilled class. Season 11 Warriors weren't gimmicky, just had a shitty tool kit.

Getting high ratings with a shitty class isn't skilled. It just means you had good teammates that were nice enough to carry you.

I would go as far to say that current Warrior takes more skill than Cata Warrior ever did. The Cata Warrior toolkit was god awful to the point where there was no reason to play that class in anything.

You actually have no idea what you're talking about, it's pretty sad.

This isn't about what's a "mindless" class to play. And really, if you think ret is mindless, you're legit playing it wrong.

You seem to generalize a lot, and it leads to your arrogance.

I would really recommend the OP try's ret, not because it's my main but because it's the only melle in his list, so it must be something he enjoys.

Deleted
    Guys, I really aprobatę your posts, but could you tell something about those classes,insted of arguing about boeing entitled, scrub or mindless? Love to hear more (constructive) opinions. Thanks in advance :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    I shouldn't use the word "mindless" because that title goes to Warriors while the title of "scum" goes to DK. Ret's are more of just a lesser skilled class, not entirely mindless.

A) It's a melee which means it has to train and tunnel to deal damage.

B) It relies completely on its offensive cool down stacking to land a kill. One trick pony.

C) It has little to no resource system. The actual resource system in place is brainlessly easy.

D) Ret's CC's are all instant and require no actual planning or skill. Similar to Warriors in that regard.

The only difference I can tell between an average/bad Ret and a good Ret is that good Rets can live longer because they don't waste Divine Shield, Blessing of Protection, Divine Protection on stupid shit and can actually use Avenging Wrath and Holy Avenger defensively. That's it. Everything else is just picked up from just playing the class for a decent amount of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento69 View Post
    Guys, I really aprobatę your posts, but could you tell something about those classes,insted of arguing about boeing entitled, scrub or mindless? Love to hear more (constructive) opinions. Thanks in advance :-)
    Yeah sure I'll stop.

You're still wrong but okay.

OP I can really only put my opinion in as ret, I've played the other plate melle classes but ret is just my favorite. I like the support it brings to raids and Idk I have just always like paladins. Kinda a nerd.

My GM is a boomkin, he really likes it. Says the rotation is fun to play with. Although he said a lot of the rotation is changing in beta. If it changes too much you might really love it on live, but when it changes it might suck of you invested a lot of time in it. Also he doesn't pvp at all so take that with a grain of salt.

As far as mages... All of the mages I have played with like their class. All of the PvE mages I play with change specs on a fight by fight basis. All of the specs really have a specialty it seems woch is nice and won't get boring. Mages also have a lot of cc woch is fun to play with in pvp. Plus idk if you've seen them but the 100 talents for mages all look really bad ass in game.

Again all of this is from a view that's like 80% PvE 20% pvp.

Deleted
    Ret is really fun atm and not terrible, but sadly RBG leaders really don't like them. Boomkins and Mages are always wanted and can compete very strongly in all pvp activities. Boomkin is very strong this season partnered with Aff locks and Mage is very strong but I hope you like frost. Fire is viable but very difficult and I've never seen a arcane mage in arena this expansion.

Ret is only a faction higher skill wise than those two other classes. Ret takes no skill because when you boil it down, its a spec that promotes mindless cleave play and participates in scum double melee comps or even triple dps. Ret being bad in arena is probably the single best thing MoP pvp has done right because when Ret is good it always brings mindless cleave comps to the forefront of the game. It needs to be kept down for the greater good of the game. Thankfully, I think the devs understand this.

Being weak in a season also doesn't make a class take more skill than others. This is like saying Season 11 Warriors took more skill to play than Season 11 Rogues because they were underpowered. It's just not true. Being underpowered generally means the class has a low tool kit or is gimmicky. Generally if a class has one or both of those traits, it's usually a lesser skilled class. Season 11 Warriors weren't gimmicky, just had a shitty tool kit.
    I would strongly suggest disregarding most of what this guy said, OP. Seems to me he has no clue what he's talking about and hasn't played the game this expansion at all.

Can't tell if dumb or trolling.

Boomkin is going to be a lot of fun in Ashran.

Ret is broken because they are great at support and off heals and because of this they are trained very early in a match. With hardly any defensive ability bar our bubble, ret really isnt in great shape.

Burst is good but you're usually not alive long enough to execute it efficiently.

To fix ret the self healing needs to be upped considerably, or the defensive Cds shortened. eg bring back old SS.