Page 1 of 40
... LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    So what is the new information here?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    I sure would like to see my how my grandma handles the heat in Siegecrafter 25 heroic.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet LoL is the most played game in the world.

And they say challenge doesn't bring in and keep players. pfft
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Interesting.

He has a point. WoW is designed to be accessible to a lot of people. I'm sure he is glad to be working on a project where there isn't that particular constraint on his creative processes. That doesn't mean it's the wrong way to go, by a long shot. It just means different companies have different ideologies for their product lines (shocker!).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuul View Post
    I sure would like to see my how my grandma handles the heat in Siegecrafter 25 heroic.
    He means that some level of the game has to be accessible to absolutely anyone capable of breathing, not that all levels are.

10+ Year Old Account
    He seems pretty pissed.

If WoW is casual (which I don't deny) what is LoL?

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    And yet LoL is the most played game in the world.

And they say challenge doesn't bring in and keep players. pfft
    I would like to see some actual, empirical evidence to support this conclusion. It's easy for a free-to-play game that anyone can casually pick up without a fee and play when they feel like it to be seen as the "most played game" in the world. Which I doubt it even is, since so many of the middle-aged gals I work with are obsessed with Candy Crush.

Most played multiplayer online game? Probably, but that title means nothing without some data points to support it and a way to compare it to any other online game out there that isn't a MOBA.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Grandma wipes had trouble with Durumu the Forgotten HM.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    "It's really refreshing to work on a game where I don't have to worry whether someone's grandmother can pick it up or not."

I've always wondered why gamers themselves don't often seem to feel this way. Perhaps the notion of games requiring integrity doesn't mesh most people's modern view where the only things that can be important in life are the things that make money.

"Hey guys, let's change the rules of chess because it's too difficult for beginners to pick up."
    Money makes the world goes round. Chess doesn't have a team of designers that need to support their families and turn a profit.

Funnily enough, I know a 60+ year old 14/14H grandma who plays a hunter and has almost 20k achieve points.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Hey guys, let's change the rules of chess because it's too difficult for beginners to pick up."
    They've already done that- it's called Checkers.

I'm honestly happy with WoW being a casual pick-me-up game. It's relaxing to play after a long day of mental, physical, or mixed work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    He seems pretty pissed.

LoL is a casual/fun game that has been labeled as competitive.

10+ Year Old Account

Pretty sure that's called checkers.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

"It's really refreshing to work on a game where I don't have to worry whether someone's grandmother can pick it up or not."

I've always wondered why gamers themselves don't often seem to feel this way. Perhaps the notion of games requiring integrity doesn't mesh most people's modern view where the only things that can be important in life are the things that make money.

Until grandmothers start playing League, then its "too bad, so sad."

GC is complaining about a dumbed down game he dumbed down?

That's level 100 irony right there.

Quote Originally Posted by mojomoses View Post
    LoL is a casual/fun game that has been labeled as competitive.
    It's ironic that he says that he wants to keep LoL a challenging game to get into. I never thought LoL was a challenge to get into. I just never got into it because there's only two modes: A) Practice against the AI who don't know how to play, or B) Play with and against people who will call you mentally retarded for doing the wrong thing with your level-ups and your gold.

If the playerbase wasn't so toxic and intimidating, even at lower ranks, then LoL would be more appealing. The challenge has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    It's ironic that he says that he wants to keep LoL a challenging game to get into. I never thought LoL was a challenge to get into. I just never got into it because there's only two modes: A) Practice against the AI who don't know how to play, or B) Play with and against people who will call you mentally retarded for doing the wrong thing with your level-ups and your gold.

If the playerbase wasn't so toxic and intimidating, even at lower ranks, then LoL would be more appealing. The challenge has nothing to do with it.
    If this happened to you, you were either A) A jerk B) Really really bad or C) AFK/Clearyl not trying.

When you are ranked higher than nothing you can talk about LoL being challenging/easy/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
    GC is complaining about a dumbed down game he dumbed down?

That's level 100 irony right there.
    It's a common practice for creative professionals to blame their poor decisions on the company that supported them while they made those poor decisions. "Well, I wanted to design it the way you wanted, but they wouldn't let me!"

Not that I blame GhostCrawler for anything that went wrong with WoW (since I still enjoy WoW and recognize that it takes more than the effort of one man to change a mega-ship like WoW's direction) but this is a funny stance for him to take, that it was Blizzard who told him to design the game more casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    He seems pretty pissed.

Haha, I bet game requiring a single mouse to play is extremely difficult to play.