Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I just saw on one of the streams and that was posted at the top of the screen.

OMG, how does one spend so much time playing this game? You would think that people would get out and be social, or do other things than play a game. It just seemed super excessive to me.

Does anyone else think thats excessive?
    Just because someone plays average 7.5 hours a day, does not mean he has a lesser "Life" then anyone else. You could play 7.5 hours a day and have more life then a person that doesn't even play games.

A lot of people don't know the meaning of "life".

Playing a video game is a hobby, and when you have enough time to do your hobby, that is in my opinion living life. If you can provide for your self, your family, own a house, a car and live a happy life, that is in my book a success. Also you can be social when playing video games, ever heard of one of those things: Skype, Ventrillo , Teamspeak, Mumble or RaidCall? Plus you can communicate in WoW and most games.

Plus if you're not doing what you like, working then doing boring stuff until you go to sleep etc, that my friend is NOT life.

Also why would it matter to anyone else what other people do, if someone just enjoys playing 7 or even 12 hours a day, it's their business. No one elses business.

So instead of minding other's people's business and asking weather they are living their life etc, you should mind your own and think what you should be doing instead. For example: Not posting on forums what other people are doing with their life, that's a good start. And stop judging people.

I mean he averages 7.5 hours per day over NINE (9) years. Thats just crazy to me...
    Logged in that ammount doesn't mean he was sat there playing even half that time. I know people who are often logged in but half the time they aren't even in the room with their computer.

On the other hand /played only showed plays time on that 1 character so in reality he probably has a lot more. Most people have alts.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-08-23 at 07:17 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It depends. I know someone who is functionally disabled and on disability. Can't ever work. Extremely severe rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed at age 16) that has her nearly crippled. So she plays WOW for the 8 hours a day she would be working if she had a job. She does do (some) other things to the extent that she is able.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-08-23 at 07:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    1000 x 24 = 24000: (9x 365)=7.3 hours

However we need to count afk time, wich is probaly 3/4 of that time. Wich of cose is 2-3 hours a day. (some days more, some days less)
    I'm quite sure that 3/4 of the time is AFKing is exaggarated
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Logged in that ammount doesn't mean he was sat there playing even half that time. I know people who are often logged in but half the time they aren't even in the room with their computer.

On the other hand /played only showed plays time on that 1 character so in reality he probably has a lot more. Most people have alts.
    Think about how much time you spend working if you have a job. If someone doesn't have to work for whatever reason (lives with parents, won the lottery, on disability, whatever), then they can rack up an incredible amount of time playing, while still having the same amount of "social life" as anyone with a regular full time job.

I just saw on one of the streams and that was posted at the top of the screen.

OMG, how does one spend so much time playing this game? You would think that people would get out and be social, or do other things than play a game. It just seemed super excessive to me.

Does anyone else think thats excessive?
    Beatriks (he changed it a few times) from Flare EU on Jaedenar had 1000+ days on his main alone when ICC launched. He lived in Dubai and was pretty well off if I recall so meh.

Deleted
    At first I thought that was excessive, yeah, but then I remembered, most people work their entire lives in a job they hate, many times with very low payment, because they have no choice, they need to make a living, so while that is needed , I don't really like to call that ''having a life'', more like modern slavery, at least the people playing WoW are doing something they like and if they are playing for that long they obviously don't need a regular job so all the better for them.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to mock people with regular jobs, quite the opposite.
    Last edited by mmoc1448edff70; 2014-08-23 at 10:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark Son View Post
    At first I thought that was excessive, yeah, but then I remembered, most people work their entire lives in a job they hate, many times with very low payment, because they have no choice, they need to make a living, so while that is needed , I don't really like to call that ''having a life'', more like modern slavery, at least the people playing WoW are doing something they like and if they are playing for that long they obviously don't need a regular job so all the better for them.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to mock people with regular jobs, quiet the opposite.
    They probably do need a regular job, they're just happy as long as the tax payers pay for their WoW account.
    Banning unemployed people from online games would do wonders for the unemployment statistics, I'm sure.

I have averaged like 3.5 hours a day throughout MoP. It's pretty easy. When I'm home my computer is on. When my computer is on I'm usually logged on. Probably 75% of that time is spent afk in Org though.

To be honest it's easily doable. I'm on 7100 hours myself: http://social.xfire.com/profile/grim32

-Grim

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    They probably do need a regular job, they're just happy as long as the tax payers pay for their WoW account.
    Banning unemployed people from online games would do wonders for the unemployment statistics, I'm sure.
    Perhaps, but even if it did are those numbers really that large. I got a friend that had some large unemployment gaps, but still continued to look for work and got a job. There are worse things they could have done like a number of those who are also unemployed and dont play games. Some things the unemployed fall into can be far more crippling for themselves, others, and drain more resources from taxpayers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, you aren't really needed to be a pro-gamer to play a game for a long time.
    What I mean is except if you are very rich you can't spend 7+hours per day on a hobby.
    So most people playing this much are probably earning their living or part of the living this way. Or students perhaps.

I'm not judging, to me nolife isn't an insult, it's just the observation that you probably have little time for anything else.

Then again some people can live with 3 or 4 hours sleep per night.

Again the thread was made based on my stream and a direct quote from it. My time played literally is in question so I'm answering as this is misinformation regardless if you views are about me or about people in general who spend the time I do in WoW. Most people don't care to hear the actual facts but maybe a few do.

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    I do not collect anything from the state or government. I do not live with my parents. I am married (she doesn't cover for me either). I do not have children. I am 26 years old and I don't live within 250 miles of any blood relatives for that matter. When I did get laid off from my fulltime job I collected unemployment for a bit, but that doesn't quite pay the bills nor does it last very long.

So much speculative misinformation, but then again this is the internet and a gaming forums ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    I'm quite sure that 3/4 of the time is AFKing is exaggarated
    I hardly afk. Wish people would read my response if they are to continue talking about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, if he takes note on the fact that the thread was made about him, then he would have to expect reactions and comments. That is what a forum is for after all, specially a discussion forum. This is not a news section, post was made to get reaction and reactions are given. If questions of people was answered by said person, then they'll be in the thread and people can take them as they wish. Thread was a good subject in an overall view, not a view from a single person.

And to be honest for the subject, of course, it is doable without a problem, you don't even have to play 7.5 hours a week, shorter days and then sometimes all nighters. Again, I am commenting the overall view of this kind of activity. You can even have a job, healthy nature and social life (unless, like some, we fight that problem). 1000+ played days is a big number for some and for others, it's just another indication of activity.

Some seem to view it as a block on your path for being so active, you can still go through or have gone through the progress of studies and so on. A game isn't always just 'a game', used to be an escape as well as enhancer.
    I didn't ask for the thread. I should expect people to what exactly? Expectations about random people on the internet... I expect the worst and the completely illogical because most people form conclusions and opinions from the most crude of details rather than actual information. No one is bothering to read the whole forum, they read the op and a few random things here and there. Lol this is the saddest thing I've seen in quite some time.

Sooo... lemme get this straight.

People are using the "contributing to society" card ? Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally ? We're not in the middle ages people. The society does not need you, you could die, kill others or anything else => it won't matter. So no, stop with this stupid statement. And please, don't pick the next stupid and ignorant card "but if everyone thinks like you then the society would die and humanity aswell !!!!! sadface sadface sadface "

Define having a life, define having no life.

While defining those two things, you'll figure out that this thread is fucking dumb and just an epic waste of time and... life.

have a nice day =)

ps : I don't think people are stupid if they say/think stupid things IN MY OPINION. You can have stupid idea (in my opinion) but still be very clever.

Homophobia is so gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's quite a feat.
    7 years of WoW with 384days played (68d @ 90).
    1/3rd of that time is standing around doing something else while tabbed out though.

Is it good to play that much? If you have fun: yes. Else: you fail.
    "Real Life activities" are vastly overrated anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    We're not in the middle ages people. The society does not need you, you could die, kill others or anything else => it won't matter.
    Society never ever needed the individual.
    You didn't work in the middle ages? You died. Society didn't care.

Argumentation is a bit different: Our economy doesn't require every member to be working fulltime.
    Thats why you see so many jobless people writing application after application only to get rejected again and again.

IF the economy would need more workers, finding work would be easy, like it was 20 years ago in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Taroy View Post
    Congrats, you think your better than others and yet your no better and possibly worse and sad. You have now ranked on lowest of humanity.
    Aren't you doing the same thing with this comment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Im at 1 year game time on wow. and I play for fun not ashamed and it rises daily.

Killars is a streamer and supports his life off playing wow also if you calculate 40 hours a week for 10 years (normal day job hours) that is already 866 days played. add weekends for fun and there you go.

In general yeah that's pretty bad and based on social norms most define a life to be having a balance of work family friend relationships and activities. Based on that norm I think its valid to say 8 hours a day everyday for years is no life. Btw realise a thread like this will get extra sarcasm and negative replies because many players on these forums are this same guy playing the game daily for 6-8 hours a day. Heck I was this way for the first 3 years of the game and yes its no life...I know from experience thankfully since about late 2008 I only play 10-20 hours every 2 weeks or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That's quite a feat.
    7 years of WoW with 384days played (68d @ 90).
    1/3rd of that time is standing around doing something else while tabbed out though.

Is it good to play that much? If you have fun: yes. Else: you fail.
    "Real Life activities" are vastly overrated anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Society never ever needed the individual.
    You didn't work in the middle ages? You died. Society didn't care.

Argumentation is a bit different: Our economy doesn't require every member to be working fulltime.
    Thats why you see so many jobless people writing application after application only to get rejected again and again.

IF the economy would need more workers, finding work would be easy, like it was 20 years ago in Germany.
    Holy crap you are disillusioned about the economy right now....you couldn't be more wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that sitting in a chair, playing a computer game for hours on end is not wise for your health and social status. Having examples who stream like this for our children dont lead to a productive society. I just cant believe anyone has 1000+ days played. My jaw dropped.
    Just because you don't have the same /played as that dude doesn't mean you don't sit on your ass online for countless hours or watching tv, or whatever. Most people that judge other people are projecting in some way.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

I don't get it. Like I really don't. This person needs to get out and smell the flowers. And I don't mean that literally, just play other games even. I don't understand how someone could play one game for all that time over all those years. Seriously, he's missing out.
    And yes, I'm going with the assumption that averaging 7.5 hours a day for 9 years means he hasn't really played much else.