Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    Sounds like deeply rich and compelling gated gameplay.
    I feel immersioned just thinking about it.
    "These so called speed humps are a joke. If anything, they slow you down. "

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    While you were fighting someone ran past you and grabbed the Relic of Monobaba .. so you are forced to sit and wait until it respawns.
    Low an behold you get agro and stunned from a mob. While fighting it another player runs past you and grabs the relic. Now again forced to wait for it to respawn.
    Almost makes me feel like you'd want to play single-player game or that they should heavily phase Quest objectives. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    How ground mounts work in MMOs

You drive from A to B
    You encounter mobs on the way
    You drive past them
    They aggro
    They run after you
    You arrived at B but mobs are still aggroed
    You drive past point B in hopes for mobs to let go.
    While doing so you accidentally aggro another pack of mobs
    You drive in circles around point B trying to shake them off.
    You drive past guards hoping they will help you.
    Finally they "evade" away
    And you proceed to point B.
    Right away you drive to a local FP and unlock it so you will NEVER EVER again drive on ground mount between A and B.
    Should I try to avoid all that stupid mobs? Of should I give up and waste my time killing them? There is always another way to deal with such a problem -to stop this violence over your brain, quit this game and find something more enjoyable. I'm perfectionist: I like to do things right or not to do them at all. I don't like to find some sneaky ways to deal with some stupid restrictions. What enjoyment you can get from questing, if you're dealing with such a crap instead of actually playing the game? If they don't like me to do it the way, I like it to do - I won't do it at all. As simple, as that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Almost makes me feel like you'd want to play single-player game or that they should heavily phase Quest objectives. :/
    Questing always was a solo experience. Developers are just trying to make an illusion, that quests are more "MMOed" content. And failing to understand, that via doing so, they are killing quests for those players, who enjoy them. Overcrowded locations, competition, stealing and queues on quest objectives, rushing, ridiculously high spawn rates - this are those things, I hate the most about questing.

- - - Updated - - -

Questing always was a solo experience. Developers are just trying to make an illusion, that they can turn quests into more "MMOed" content. And failing to understand, that via doing so, they are killing quests for those players, who enjoy them. Overcrowded locations, competition, stealing and queues on quest objectives, rushing, ridiculously high spawn rates - this are those things, I hate the most about questing.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    Questing always was a solo experience. Developers are just trying to make an illusion, that quests are more "MMOed" content. And failing to understand, that via doing so, they are killing quests for those players, who enjoy them. Overcrowded locations, competition, stealing and queues on quest objectives, rushing, ridiculously high spawn rates - this are those things, I hate the most about questing.
    Pretty much this. Except on the statement about WoW always having questing as a solo experience. That is something that changed pretty recently as we used to have group quests out in the world and such. That being said WoW has always punished you for grouping with reduced xp and loot doesn't make it very encouraging to group with random strangers

I know you have read my posts on how to make this WoD w/out flight work, be fun and engaging cause you were like the only person that left any feedback regarding it.

WoW seems intent on leaving this game in the past instead of drawing it forward. The recent blue post about how tags work was a great example of how they want to leave this game in the past. Hell with the removal of flight they are actually taking it backwards instead of forwards.
    Last edited by Maneo; 2014-08-24 at 07:08 PM.

Pretty much this. Except on the statement about WoW always having questing as a solo experience. That is something that changed pretty recently as we used to have group quests out in the world and such. That being said WoW has always punished you for grouping with reduced xp and loot doesn't make it very encouraging to group with random strangers

I know you have read my posts on how to make this WoD w/out flight work, be fun and engaging cause you were like the only person that left any feedback regarding it.

WoW seems intent on leaving this game in the past instead of drawing it forward. The recent blue post about how tags work was a great example of how they want to leave this game in the past. Hell with the removal of flight they are actually taking it backwards instead of forwards.
    WoW's questing experience will always be solo content until Blizz increases XP for groups and other archaic mechanics most other MMOs did away with a long time ago. The Apexis Crystal grind @100 reinforces that it is a solo experience.

Pretty much this. Except on the statement about WoW always having questing as a solo experience. That is something that changed pretty recently as we used to have group quests out in the world and such.
    I started WoW in Vanilla, and my leveling was always almost entirely solo. Group quests were notable mostly for clogging up my quest log until they were gray, when they were then deleted.

It was always, from the beginning, possible to level in WoW without grouping. If nothing else, one could solo grind mob kill XP if one ran out of quests.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

More awesome flight paths...

http://imgur.com/a/u45Yq#0

Such planning. Love that efficiency and forethought.
    "These so called speed humps are a joke. If anything, they slow you down. "

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSandwich View Post

And that immersion..

So looking forward to it.

Here's a tom Chilton interview transcript in lieu of those excellent FPs:

"Um, we'll see. So, you know, we've talked about it as a possibility for Patch 6.1, that you would earn the ability to fly. A lot of it would depend upon how players feel about it. Right? It's not, it's, you know, it's a question that the community as a whole needs to arrive at an answer to.

Uh, we're still kind of seeing how this experiment of not allowing players to fly for one entire patch goes. Um, there are players that, obviously, that hate it and think that it's the worst decision we've ever made. Um, fortunately it doesn't look like it's a significant majority of players. Um, it looks like a lot of players are really interested in seeing, kind of re-exploring what it looks like to, uh, to play on the ground.

'Cuz honestly there's a lot more game depth on the ground than there is in the air. Um, the air is nice for getting vistas and taking screenshots and looking around and going 'Oooo!' But there are other ways we can achieve that, too, without necessarily having free-form flight. So, we'll see. Um, if players overwhelmingly want it by Patch 6.1, then we'll probably do it."

<rolls eyes> yes and travel won't be tedious, time consuming and annoying in WoD.

I can't really believe so many people are buying this BS that blizz is spinning.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Oh my, it's like they're telling you to ride there on foot! It's faster that way! See our mobs and hand-crafted areas.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I started WoW in Vanilla, and my leveling was always almost entirely solo. Group quests were notable mostly for clogging up my quest log until they were gray, when they were then deleted.

It was always, from the beginning, possible to level in WoW without grouping. If nothing else, one could solo grind mob kill XP if one ran out of quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    WoW's questing experience will always be solo content until Blizz increases XP for groups and other archaic mechanics most other MMOs did away with a long time ago. The Apexis Crystal grind @100 reinforces that it is a solo experience.
    True that was a option but you also had the option of doing those group quests. There is a difference between being entirely solo in open world content by choice (like you did) or design like it has been since Cata (I think) and as it seems it will be in WoD.

Oh my, it's like they're telling you to ride there on foot! It's faster that way! See our mobs and hand-crafted areas.
    The first time sure could be fun, maybe even the second, but at max level ... Not so much. Personally I don't' find running through an area on my way to a objective at max level to be dismounted by mobs that pose no challenge threat or reward to be compelling game play.
    Last edited by Maneo; 2014-08-24 at 07:03 PM.

God forbid anything inconveniences these entitled carebears. Something might get in my way? LET ME FLY OVER EVERYTHING!
    Such logic.

The first time sure could be fun, maybe even the second, but at max level ... Not so much. Personally I don't' find running through an area on my way to a objective at max level to be dismounted by mobs that pose no challenge threat or reward to be compelling game play.
    Luckily this hardly ever happens. Apparently I'm the only one able to weav between mobs. You might aggro 1 or 2 but you usually lose them before you dismount, and if you don't it's not like they've been hard to kill.

And all this talk about them posing no challenge and being low level needs to stop. Would you rather fight a hard elite before each node?
    Last edited by Dormie; 2014-08-24 at 07:13 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Such logic indeed. Treating a game like a serious business that is.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Such logic indeed. Treating a game like a serious business that is.
    Logic, deductive reasoning, and common sense are not allowed on this thread... lol

Logic, deductive reasoning, and common sense are not allowed on this thread... lol
    How would you know?

The only thing I see in this thread is clouded judgement caused by extreme bais

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    The only thing I see in this thread is clouded judgement caused by extreme bais
    I see why people are upset. The truth is blizzard is smoking crack if they think they can remove their main transportation after 7 years and think people will embrace it.

Sure there are a handful of people who support it. The majority of the millions of players do not support their transportation being gutted.

Flight paths destroy immersion. Running on a mount is completely broken at 100%. People will rage.

Sure there are a handful of people who support it. The majority of the millions of players do not support their transportation being gutted.
    Just making up information. Nothing to see here folks. No wonder nobody takes you seriously.

I see why people are upset. The truth is blizzard is smoking crack if they think they can remove their main transportation after 7 years and think people will embrace it.

Flight paths destroy immersion. Running on a mount is completely broken at 100%. People will rage.
    Only time will tell. I however believe that if flight isn't returned in 6.1 a month or so after the player base will be reduced to less then 5 million.

If that is enough of a hit to the bottom line, that it cancels out any savings they may have gained from being able to develop future content w/out flight in mind (like they did in Vanilla) then I would expect flight to return and them not to try this little experiment again.

No flying means I can finally play WoW and not be tempted to skip content to reach my objective. People who want flight just want their reward without having to work for it.