Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Call to Arms being removed

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14058436162#4

We've removed Call to Arms in Warlords. Originally, the feature was added to bring some variety to the battleground experience and allow players who like a specific battleground to occassionally binge on it. But, like any feature, we have to weight the benefits with the consequences. Call to Arms has an adverse affect on queue times in a pretty profound way. When certain battlegrounds are up, one faction will tend to queue for Call to Arms while the other tends to avoid it. As a result, we're going to remove it so that the majority of players are queuing through Random Battlegrounds.
    Thoughts? I am fine with it for the most part, but this will significantly increase the time needed to farm my Veterans achievements. Considering I already got it in about half the BGs. =/

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    How is it going to increase the time needed when you can just queue for specific anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a bad change. I don't understand why Blizzard is keeping the horrid blacklist feature while removing the CTA due to "faction imbalance." They basically removed a feature because of an issue that is completely controlled by the playerbase.

Don't dwell on the veteran achievements. They're worthless.

Exaggerating to make my point, imagine if there was a PvE analogue of Call To Arms: For the next two months, everyone queuing for dungeons and raids will be sent to repeat 100 times over <insert a dungeon you don't like>. Don't like it? All you need to do to change it is wait a couple months.

(Yes, I know it was weekly rather than for 2 months, but a week is a long time if you play a lot more often than once a week).

Removal of Call To Arms is good, even if Blizzard did the right thing for the wrong reason (or rather not the greatest reason).

CTA encouraged lack of variety, playing the same battleground many times over throughout the entire week. And, regarding it being an aid for "players who like a specific battleground to occasionally binge on it," who would not mind waiting many weeks for their favorite BG to come up in the rotation again, without PvPing in the meantime in between?

A PvEer not much into PvP at all anyway.

Not me.

A random battleground queuing system could easily be better programmed to switch the most favored battleground even every single hour, rather than having it stuck on one for so long, while combined with players being able to rank battlegrounds from their most to least favorite in a weighted semi-random queue system (not guaranteed to get one of your top choices if marking that near-minimum queue times were your personal priority but more likely to than your bottom choices).

The CTA rewards might seem nice, until one realizes that such could have been as easily given otherwise.

A similar game design issue applied with guild perks and guild levels. They seem nice until you realize Blizzard could have simply given the perks like mass rez to everyone, and about the only difference to the average player would be not being relatively penalized for considering joining a non-large guild or ever forming their own. Any person who actually bothers to level up a guild in search of the perks is rare compared to the far easier way of just joining a huge guild already having them.

Blacklist needs to go too. The problems mentioned in the post didn't exist prior to its addition (I don't remember queue times ever being a problem before, actually).

Meh, I like call to arms. I has existed for a long time, sad to see it go. :<

(Especially as Alliance ._.')
    Last edited by Eliot123; 2014-08-28 at 10:08 PM.

I wish they make blacklisting into 3 (so that I can ban strand in addition to 40 mans)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Well...

More concerned they aren't going to be adding new battlegrounds.

The one thing (hmm, maybe only thing) I used the CTA for was when Warsong and Arathi Basin were up. It helped with gaining reputation. Other than that I would very, very rarely queue for it unless I was in a premade group and it was a battleground we liked to play.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    im still not going to queue for AV or IoC. you can guess which faction i play...
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    How is it going to increase the time needed when you can just queue for specific anyway?
    Because people tend to only specific queue when the one they like is the call to arms. Few people bother without the bonus rewards.

I think this is a good idea, and see no downside to it. Of course, people will find reason to complain about it, no doubt.

Deleted
    Please increase blacklist options to 3, then I can finally add Strand to it even tho I'm horde usually.

I like CTA but I'm drawing a blank a bit; does it give extra honour? IF so why not just boost honour gains from BGs across the board?

This is an innocuous comment and please don't take it as a request for gearing to be easier. (So not in the mood for that argument...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficents View Post
    Blacklist needs to go too. The problems mentioned in the post didn't exist prior to its addition (I don't remember queue times ever being a problem before, actually).
    And what about those of us that don't want to fight walls (IoC) or npcs (AV)? If I queue for PvP, I want PvP. I like being able to blacklist the PvE instances that somehow found their way onto the list.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Sad to see it go, though most likely once geared, my friends and I will simply que which BG we want in particular anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    And what about those of us that don't want to fight walls (IoC)
    That wall called your mother a dirty whore, not get out there and show it who is boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    And what about those of us that don't want to fight walls (IoC) or npcs (AV)? If I queue for PvP, I want PvP. I like being able to blacklist the PvE instances that somehow found their way onto the list.
    And what if I like to play only area-holding battlegrounds - Arathi Basin and Battle for Gilneas? These are the true battlegrounds, I want to be able to queue only for them! Let the players choose what type of PvP they prefer! *sarcasm*

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    And what if I like to play only area-holding battlegrounds - Arathi Basin and Battle for Gilneas? These are the true battlegrounds, I want to be able to queue only for them! Let the players choose what type of PvP they prefer! *sarcasm*
    I know you are being sarcastic... but you can totally que into those specifically, if you did like them.
    Disliking BGs that only have a small amount of PvP (Middle mostly bots IoC, and maybe some garrison defense in most my matches/and some garrison defense and forcing a bottle neck which starts the never edning QQ CHANTS OF JUST LOSE ALREADY!!!!!) is completely fine, we can black list. Liking certain ones are fine, you can specifically que.
    Why take something away from a player instead of providing more options if possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    "Let the players choose what type of PvP they prefer!"

Are you saying that AV and IoC involve PvP? Pardon me for a moment while I laugh at you.

Deleted
    Blacklist is the best feature since sliced bread. Finally i can block both terrible flag battlegrounds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with it. It should help reduce queue times.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by varkar View Post
    Exaggerating to make my point, imagine if there was a PvE analogue of Call To Arms: For the next two months, everyone queuing for dungeons and raids will be sent to repeat 100 times over <insert a dungeon you don't like>. Don't like it? All you need to do to change it is wait a couple months.

(Yes, I know it was weekly rather than for 2 months, but a week is a long time if you play a lot more often than once a week).
    CTA is like 3 days now, not even half a week. Exaggeration to make a point is one thing, blowing it up like that is a different story. Not to mention you can blacklist the CTA and still queue random. You should be able to blacklist random dungeons/raids in that scenario, but you can't. (Lookin' at you, Gate of the Setting Sun & Siege of Niuzao Temple) :/

With that said, I do think it's good that it has been removed. If you queued random without blacklisting the CTA whilst it's active you still get it half the time. Plus like in the post, when something like SSM came up as Alliance you blacklist it then anyone queuing CTA as Horde were basically sat waiting around. At least now it's all random and Blacklisting will be used to actually blacklist the ones they don't like rather than the CTA.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-08-29 at 01:13 PM.

Blacklist needs to go also

Lets be real i can get a 30 sec wait time if the CTA is IoC or AV gosh i wonder why that is. But if the CTA is anything else its a ten min wait.

BGs need to be random or people will pick and choose which ones will guarantee a easy victory.