Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Am I the only person who didn't like Ulduar?

Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the whole titan/steampunk/dwarf/gnome setting. I don't know, I was just never very into it and people talk about it like it was a golden age...

It wasn't just the theme

Encounters were diverse and (some) challenging, unique/interesting hard mode triggers and multiple difficulties for some bosses, variety of environments, what felt like an optimal amount of trash, and a layout that quite literally had you progressing deeper into the dungeon and fighting the big bad guy at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Am I the only person who didn't like Ulduar?
    Yes. You are, and a heretic who is in dire need of correction. Off with you; to room 101!

OT: It was a departure from raids that were only centered around the main antagonist of the expansion; it fleshed out the lore of the world and had superb artwork and music. It felt very frand, most importanl: Ulduar felt biger than all your heroic deeds put together: it was made by titans. For titans. Also was the raid that really established a patternof nonlinear proression with entertaining fights. Also, fighting that army at the beginning was truly epic. But mosg iportanrly; it had an excellent storyline. The exile of Throium, Loken's betrayl, and Yogg Saron. Brann was an excellent narrator

Quote Originally Posted by Warheart View Post
    It wasn't just the theme

Encounters were diverse and (some) challenging, unique/interesting hard mode triggers and multiple difficulties for some bosses, variety of environments, what felt like an optimal amount of trash, and a layout that quite literally had you progressing deeper into the dungeon and fighting the big bad guy at the end.
    Diverse how every tier is full of diverse bosses. Arguably ToT and T11 are far more diverse than Ulduar.

I'm a firm believer that Ulduar was not the end all be all. People hold it to a pedestal when the place had like 3 memorable encounters. About the average for most raid tiers.

No the reason Ulduar is held up oh so high very likely is because #1 Wrath is the first time the majority could raid beyond kara and #2 Ulduar only lasted for 4 months as current content.

The only thing I recall is people asked to farm Ulduar during ToGC/ ICCH progression to provide more maces to everyones groans of agony.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Yes. You are, and a heretic who is in dire need of correction. Off with you; to room 101!

OT: It was a departure from raids that were only centered around the main antagonist of the expansion; it fleshed out the lore of the world and had superb artwork and music. It felt very frand, most importanl: Ulduar felt biger than all your heroic deeds put together: it was made by titans. For titans. Also was the raid that really established a patternof nonlinear proression with entertaining fights. Also, fighting that army at the beginning was truly epic. But mosg iportanrly; it had an excellent storyline. The exile of Throium, Loken's betrayl, and Yogg Saron. Brann was an excellent narrator
    What are you talking about? Wrath preceded vanilla with the Black Dragonflight Aqir and Kelthuzad.

TBC Revolved around the illidari and the burning legion. My bad if you missed the entire premise of the story of TBC and Kaels Obvious defection in Netherstorm.

Nevermind Gruul / Kara/ Zul'Aman Try again because that argument is pitiful.

Pretty much, yes. Best raid in WotLK and one of the most memorable raid instances. There were things that could have been better in the layout but overall, I disliked it up to XT and loved the scenery from there on. Also liked the bosses more beyond that. Plus, Algalon. Far from a "Raid Destroyer" (Hi Muru and Kil'jaeden) but he still felt pretty epic to me.

As an aside, my other favorite raid was Black Temple. That's the best laid out one yet. There was something about Ulduar that I liked on par with it too.

Edit: Also, thinking about it a bit more. I think Throne of Thunder looked like it had alot of potential to be a cool raid instance and I say "looked like" because I didn't raid in MOP at all outside of LFR, until recently. So I've only done it broken up as wings in LFR, with 'teleporting' to preset locations which really cheapens the feeling of exploring and seeing it alot admitably, so. I think if I'd walked in with a guild and fought through it, I'd be adding it to my list, too.
    Last edited by Spiral Mage; 2014-08-30 at 06:31 AM.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I was still on my multi-year break during Ulduar, so I can't give a exact opinion. I went back in with a twink guild during Cata, and it was freaking fun.
    With that said given the how revered Ulduar is I'm going to say you actually loved it and are being contrary, even if you don't know that is what you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

I didn't hate it, but it's vastly overrated and only just above average.

Encounters were diverse and (some) challenging,
    Can be said about every raid that has more than one boss. Even ToC.

unique/interesting hard mode triggers
    Nope. Some of them were just "dps boss harder" or "press this button" (which somehow through nostalgia goggles look more glorious than "press this other button in the UI"). And some were "dps that thing before this thing" we've seen before all the way starting from vanilla. Those were not unique nor interesting.

multiple difficulties for some bosses,
    So what? You have basically 6 difficulties in SoO.

variety of environments,
    Can be said for about half of the raids in the game.

a layout that quite literally had you progressing deeper into the dungeon and fighting the big bad guy at the end.
    Nope. Last boss required you to backtrack to halfway of the instance. The layout was rather broken.

It was a departure from raids that were only centered around the main antagonist of the expansion;
    Can be said for about half of the raids in the game.

it fleshed out the lore of the world
    But mosg iportanrly; it had an excellent storyline. The exile of Throium, Loken's betrayl, and Yogg Saron.
    And then hid the most important lore behind heroic only boss which was fucking braindead idea. Meaning 99% of players who did step into Ulduar never got to see the end of the Storm Peaks titan storyline. Instead they were fed some Old Gods bullshit that wasn't implied anywhere else in the expansion.

Ulduar felt biger than all your heroic deeds put together: it was made by titans. For titans.
    Can be said for about half of the raids in the game. Starting from Molten Bore and AQ40 in vanilla all the way to Terrace of Eternal Spring in MoP.

Also was the raid that really established a patternof nonlinear proression
    1) There's no pattern
    2) MC, AQ40, Karazhan, SSC, TK, BT... all of those had at least as much nonlinear progression, some even more than Ulduar. So what did it start again?

entertaining fights.
    Highly subjective.

Also, fighting that army at the beginning was truly epic.
    And also the most complained raid boss probably ever, because people don't like vehicles.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-08-30 at 07:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    I didn't hate it
    And yet you try so, so hard to find things that are wrong with it. lol
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't hate it, but it's vastly overrated and only just above average.
    So is every other raid by those standards.

Ulduar for its time was a GREAT raid, and even more hilarious if you ran PuGs like I did. (Late night weekend drinkers are fun to raid with!)

no you are not... its one of my least favorite raids in WoW, I even enjoyed ToC more than it so its ok to the THAT guy :P
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    I don't need to try. I'm just pointing out where people who have nostalgia goggles on are remembering it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    So is every other raid by those standards.
    Exactly, and that was my point all along. Ulduar is vastly overrated. It's just average raid in this game with highs and lows just like any other tier.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    It's not like he's wrong or anything

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably yes. Ulduar was the best raid in WoW till now. For me that is. And ive been raiding since vanilla
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the whole titan/steampunk/dwarf/gnome setting. I don't know, I was just never very into it and people talk about it like it was a golden age...
    Yes you are, since Ulduar is one of the most successful raids ever made, it was beaitiful, had excelent artwork and nice music.

Yeah, when I saw the thread title I couldn't help but to think in Abe Sapien answering to Myers:

"Yes, you are!"

Yes, other tiers before and after Ulduar shared similar traits, that doesn't take away from the experience for me, sorry

Deleted
    I like the Ulduar idea that the hard mode is triggered during the fight by doing something differently, instead of just setting the raid on "heroic", after which it's the same old braindead grind.

And also the most complained raid boss probably ever, because people don't like vehicles.
    People are just too stupid to read and understand tooltips.

When someone who has just copied his whole build and rotation from Elitistjerks is put on a vehicle and for the first time in his gaming career forced to do some thinking on his own, it tends to cause tantrums.

I've never had any trouble with vehicle fights; Ulduar, Eye of Eternity, Wintergrasp... they were fun and refreshing changes.

Of course, if you are too dumb to figure out the controls, or if it bugs the 50 addons that are doing your thinking for you... well, sucks to be you.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2014-08-30 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    People are just too stupid to read and understand tooltips.

When someone who has just copied his whole build and rotation from Elitistjerks is put on a vehicle and for the first time in his gaming career forced to do some thinking on his own, it tends to cause tantrums.

I've never had any trouble with vehicle fights; Ulduar, Eye of Eternity, Wintergrasp... they were fun and refreshing changes.

Of course, if you are too dumb to figure out the controls... well, sucks to be you.
    Has nothing to do with not knowing the controls. Flame leviathan just wasn't fun for a lot of people. Vehicles have no place in raids.

Still my favorite raid.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

I am the only person I know who dislikes Ulduar. My friends think I'm crazy because of this. Don't get me wrong, some of the fights themselves are fun, but the instance itself is just not to my taste. I think one of the reasons I like ToC so much is because it was not Ulduar.
    World of Warcraft: Level 60 Blood Elf Holy Paladin