Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bye Bye solo ability of hardhitting patchwerk bosses :S

Latetst Beta Notes.

Frostbolt can no longer be used to heal the Mage's Water Elemental.

Deleted
    I'll just leave that here, I'm sure Polar wouldn't mind.

Getting the thing to take it for more than 15 seconds without overaggroing was always a massive pain in the ass anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninthelora View Post
    Latetst Beta Notes.
    Frostbolt can no longer be used to heal the Mage's Water Elemental.
    You will one-shot him anyway.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

15+ Year Old Account
    U can solo everything with eas, probably will become 1 man dungeons in the future :P
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Baalb View Post
    I'll just leave that here, I'm sure Polar wouldn't mind.
    I do not. For future reference (this is to anyone btw), feel free to post that video as a response to anyone upset if you can't solo stuff (Mages or otherwise). It's why I made the video and actually uploaded it to my YouTube, which I NEVER upload, EVER. I mean, you saw the quality of that shit, right?

But yeah, while it stinks you can't heal Squishy in current content, it's a non-issue in anything below MoP (maybe below WoD; MoP isn't scaled down on beta atm)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The only boss you have to tank with the Water Elemental in order to be able to solo it ATM is Ragnaros, which is going to be stupidly easy anyway in WoD.
    Every, and I mean every other boss is either too hard to solo or does not require special tanking.

WE has no "def stance" (meaning he can get critted), has low armor (twice what we have as Mages but still), no defensive cooldowns, nothing really. It's just a big frozen marshmallow standing there throwing snowballs at enemies.

Another macro that won't be missed

EDIT : Forgot Zon'ozz in the list, but I'm not even sure you cannot take him down alone nowadays with the ilvl difference.
    Last edited by Araitik; 2014-08-29 at 11:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    But yeah, while it stinks you can't heal Squishy in current content, it's a non-issue in anything below MoP (maybe below WoD; MoP isn't scaled down on beta atm)
    MoP is scaled just like it will be when 6.0 / WoD hits. It's not meant to be a pushover like all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    MoP is scaled just like it will be when 6.0 / WoD hits. It's not meant to be a pushover like all the others.
    We still get a boost because if you're higher level, you deal more and take less damage from targets lower than you (in a similar fashion to us dealing glancing and taking crushing blows from mobs higher level than us in prior expansions)
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Araitik View Post
    The only boss you have to tank with the Water Elemental in order to be able to solo it ATM is Ragnaros, which is going to be stupidly easy anyway in WoD.
    Isn't this an argument of idiocy. Because what is now considered cata difficulty raid bosses will be MoP raid bosses in WoD.....DUH!!!?

I'm really surprised about that soloing video, maybe it's something specific with Deathwing. But I imagine one reason is because of the huge itemlvl leaps MoP did which allows you to solo much more of the previous expansion content? Because i can't remember mages doing that with ease before.

The water elemental did too little agro to really use the heal, I remember doing it on a rare spawn somewhere though. Maybe it's because of pvp? Maybe it's better to remove the feature because it embodied something it couldn't do anyway. Although the healing didn't add a button.

=======================================================================================
    So seeing as this thread is about mage soloing capabilities, can anyone give some decent information about how Mages compare to classes with tank specs and other classes like hunters, locks shamans? And what is the diffrence in difficulty of achieving it.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You're taking the patch note out of context instead of looking at the whole picture. You don't know what your pets survivability is going to be like. You'll probably never have to heal it anyways.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by taelon View Post
    Isn't this an argument of idiocy. Because what is now considered cata difficulty raid bosses will be MoP raid bosses in WoD.....DUH!!!?
    5 levels difference vs 10 levels difference + a probable nerf/scaling. Meaning T16 will be as easy to solo as ICC by the end of WoD. DUH ?

So seeing as this thread is about mage soloing capabilities, can anyone give some decent information about how Mages compare to classes with tank specs and other classes like hunters, locks shamans? And what is the diffrence in difficulty of achieving it.
    Check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Luccas View Post
    Why won't they just give us glyph that makes WE a tank pet, usless in current content, but usefull in soloing or questing?
    Because Mage.

We will never be even slighly tanky.

Deleted
    I used the elemental as a "tank" for small golems at Dark animus, but that was probably the only fight where my frostbolting the WE was intentional and not a missed macro. And agree with Imnick about the overaggroing stuff elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Araitik View Post
    We will never be even slighly tanky.
    High King Maulgar (Krosh Firehand) and Illidari Council (High Nethermancer Zerevor) say hi.

- - - Updated - - -

We're bottom of the barrel when it comes to overall soloability on bosses, only beating out Rogues to my knowledge because we're ranged and Invocation healing if we need it.

Death Knights: Self-healing; armor
    Druids: Healing hybrid
    Hunters: Decent passive healing; unkillable pets
    Monk: Healing hybrid
    Paladin: Healing hybrid; armor
    Priest: Healing hybrid
    Rogue: The only class worse than us
    Shaman: Healing hybrid
    Warlock: Plenty of lifestealing; pets
    Warrior: Passive healing; armor

And then Mage: Meh self-healing; lowest HP/Armor; no damage reduction (outside of Fire getting 6%/16% physical reduction)
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-08-30 at 02:19 PM.

I do not. For future reference (this is to anyone btw), feel free to post that video as a response to anyone upset if you can't solo stuff (Mages or otherwise). It's why I made the video and actually uploaded it to my YouTube, which I NEVER upload, EVER. I mean, you saw the quality of that shit, right?

MoP is not going to be scaled down. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyendra View Post
    MoP is not going to be scaled down. . .
    Define "scaled down". If you mean "MoP is not being nerfed", then yeah, it's not. If you mean "MoP is not going to be affected by your level being higher", then I'd like a source. AFAIK, it will be when we hit Level 91.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-08-30 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccas View Post
    Why won't they just give us glyph that makes WE a tank pet, usless in current content, but usefull in soloing or questing?
    A) That would be quite the clumsy thing, coming next is people demanding it was actually working in current content, and then we want a tank spec like locks do. Give them a finger...

B) It's what differentiates Mages from other casters. We can't heal, we can't tank, we don't have excessive benefits from pets. We have other tools at hand, and usually as a Mage you'll want to avoid damage either by being clever and working around it, or killing stuff fast.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-08-30 at 04:07 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Define "scaled down". If you mean "MoP is not being nerfed", then yeah, it's not. If you mean "MoP is not going to be affected by your level being higher", then I'd like a source. AFAIK, it will be when we hit Level 91.
    It will not be affected by your level being higher.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2UQ/edit#gid=0

Make a copy of that spreadsheet and fiddle with the levels accordingly. The formulas in that spreadsheet come from this:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...8929?page=2#37

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking High King Maulgar with my little Gnome Mage was and still is my favorite boss experience I ever had. No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyendra View Post
    It will not be affected by your level being higher.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2UQ/edit#gid=0

Make a copy of that spreadsheet and fiddle with the levels accordingly. The formulas in that spreadsheet come from this:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...8929?page=2#37
    I actually didn't know MoP wasn't going to be affected. That's really disappointing