Thread: Mage in WoD

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    Yeah just seen this.

I'm curious, while I wouldn't valiantly attack or defend this change, it's certainly not a vastly used heal by any means so I kinda understand why the devs would take it out. But then it has its uses, I currently solo Warlord Zon'ozz in DS by having the elemental tank him for 3 rounds while I stack orb debuffs on the boss, and frankly the elemental wouldn't survive even one round without the heal. I guess fights like this will be a lot easier after pre patch and at level 100, but still... it removes possibilities to play the class that didn't have an actual impact on regular gameplay, and for what exactly? Not sure what to make of this.

I wish I could post this on their US forums and actually get an answer.
    To be fair, they're removing all sense of difficulty from soloing Cataclysm and below (see below), so it won't be needed to do Zon'ozz, nor Ragnaros for that matter. There really isn't any point to removing it though, same with making DF crappy, Combustion even worse than it is now, and CoC from Fire. It's just nonsense now.

Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Frost bolt healing water elemental has been removed.
    "Cuz" tooltip bloat.
    Good. I hate having to macro FB to only cast on enemy targets so as to avoid healing my elly by mistake when a target dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post
    Just more iconic sheeit they're removing
    :/

I wouldn't call Frostbolt heal "iconic", since I don't think we had it more than an expansion or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Good. I hate having to macro FB to only cast on enemy targets so as to avoid healing my elly by mistake when a target dies.
    "Having to macro", as if you had to do it more than once? Make the macro, drag it down, done. Don't really see the problem.

Yes, they could have had a separate spell for us to use, but eh. Flat out removing it is a worse option.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    "Having to macro", as if you had to do it more than once? Make the macro, drag it down, done. Don't really see the problem.
    All good mages macro Stackable Stag into their nukes anyway. Adding an exists line was trivial.

Yes, they could have had a separate spell for us to use, but eh. Flat out removing it is a worse option.
    The ability for pets to tank is unintended. Frostbolt heal was probably one of the best pet heals around and could very likely get around the boss melee damage mod against pets.

though Voltaa on the Mage Beta discussion says that we will have a burn/conserve, which I'm kinda excited to have a comeback of.
    Voltaa is wrong. There is currently no evidence to support a return of Burn/Conserve (I would be more than willing to see the evidence, if he even has any to present). Quite a few mages now, under quite a few scenarios have run series of actual tests as well as models. None so far point to a return of burn/conserve. If anything, they all point to it being a pointless strategy.

Voltaa's comments were born out of a supposition made by another mage who himself was more hypothesizing than anything else. Its basically the mage misinformation train doing its thing again.

As far as my personal analysis is concerned, after extensive testing now I am actually more convinced that burn/conserve is very dead. I tested practically every single variety of build (even ones where I stack different secondary stats), as well as timeframes ranging from 30s to 5mins, as well as live raid testing. There is practically no benefit to burning, not to mention the counter synergy to doing so under the new AP.

I would usually go into a tirade of how it is important not to spread misinformation. Of how people to should provide facts and base their analysis off of real evidence, but when Voltaa and co. are concerned, I'm quite sure already that all that falls on deaf ears.
    "There are very few who can claim what he can. There are even fewer who can prove it like he can. There are even less that can match him, but all will no doubt accept what he is, and what he can do. The Highlord is for sure one of a kind. A true Master of the Arcane arts. It would be best for you to listen."
    - Lady Nåabi of the Immortalis, former Guild Executor, former Raid Lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    The ability for pets to tank is unintended. Frostbolt heal was probably one of the best pet heals around and could very likely get around the boss melee damage mod against pets.
    They had a melee damage mod on Squishy, too? Seems like he'd get oneshot to even AoE things (I remember Rhyolith in particular to be an asshole about that)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    <snip>
    Which then begs the obvious questions of:

1. Why do we still have Evocate?
    2. Why are one of our perk slots for Arcane wasted on lowering the cooldown of said useless skill by 25%?

Considering asking Celetalon what his take on this is since it's very weird to even have Evocate existing if it has no purpose.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    They had a melee damage mod on Squishy, too? Seems like he'd get oneshot to even AoE things (I remember Rhyolith in particular to be an asshole about that)
    It's from autoswing only, last I checked.

I don't recall him dying to Rhyo too often?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    It's from autoswing only, last I checked.

I don't recall him dying to Rhyo too often?
    The fire lines used to destroy him. Over half his HP every time he got hit.

Deleted
    Considering asking Celetalon what his take on this is since it's very weird to even have Evocate existing if it has no purpose.
    I'd wager there's no greater conspiracy or mystery to it. Evocation exists for arcane for the same reason Presence of Mind does: No reason at all.

Throughout all the classes there's a lot of dead talents and broken or overly simplistic mechanics. WoD design is shoddy at best. Thankfully it's still a work in progress, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by kensai666 View Post
    Throughout all the classes there's a lot of dead talents and broken or overly simplistic mechanics. WoD design is shoddy at best. Thankfully it's still a work in progress, but I'm not holding my breath.
    It's not though. Mechanics-wise, beta is over. It's just in tuning for 6 fucking weeks and barely anything is getting done so far in that even.

Quote Originally Posted by kensai666 View Post
    I'd wager there's no greater conspiracy or mystery to it. Evocation exists for arcane for the same reason Presence of Mind does: No reason at all.

Isn't burn/conserve rotation mostly a number things.
    I feel like the tools for it are already there (Evocation, arcane perks), and it's only a numbers thing that's preventing it from being viable. So if they're still doing a tuning pass, it may still come to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    Isn't burn/conserve rotation mostly a number things.
    I feel like the tools for it are already there (Evocation, arcane perks), and it's only a numbers thing that's preventing it from being viable. So if they're still doing a tuning pass, it may still come to pass.
    ABl is too weak and AM is too strong, both directly (through the damage it deals) and indirectly (being a mana positive spell, it makes you deal more damage on all subsequent spells due to bonus Mastery).

If they want burn to make a comeback, ABl needs some serious buffing. IMO the best way would be to just buff the 4th stack. Make only the 4th stack get a bigger bonus to ABl only. If coding doesn't allow the 4th one to be asymmetrical to the other stacks, then make it do this:

Upon generating a 4th Arcane Charge, you will be empowered with Arcane Overload, which makes your Arcane Blast deal an additional X% damage and lasts indefinitely until you no longer have 4 charges

^ Purely if you can't make the 4th stack not a number other than the next number in the sequence, though if coding in vanilla could get away with "40%/70%/100%" for talents, then I think it can get away with this... maybe.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-01 at 02:24 AM.

LOL @ the comment about mages being the most nerfed PvP class. May want to head over to the warlock forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    LOL @ the comment about mages being the most nerfed PvP class. May want to head over to the warlock forums.
    They doing bad too? *shrug* Just saying Mages went from top to bottom in the span of 2 patches. There's plenty more room at the bottom for other classes

Quote Originally Posted by Taneo View Post
    In BGs Locks are topping the charts
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Deleted
    i think if players are skilled enough it doesnt really matter what class u play they all have their pro's and con's