Poll: Which was the worst expack lore-wise?

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctusar View Post
    Still failing to see how everyone didn't like Cata.
    Cata was definitely shit. But TBC was far worse, especially because it completely ruined two fan favourite characters.

Wait, I might have read your post wrong because of double negative. In that case disregard my post...
    Last edited by Sesto; 2014-09-05 at 11:00 PM.

Deleted
    cata wasnt bad lore wise, it just didnt have lore, thats different Id say. It just was a fuckin void

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nekai View Post
    But cow people, werewolves, greedy green midgets, fruity sun elves, matriarchal moon elves, space goat people, stone people, zombies, fish people, shape shifting dragon people that can manipulate time, and Cthulhu are all acceptable alternatives to panda people?
    Yes, yes they are. To be fair, a lot of those races are also retarded but no one disrespects Cthulhu... slut!

Worst lore-wise, hmmm.
    I personally felt Cataclysm did a terrible job at the lore, and left many points where the lore could have been monumentally better than it was.
    TBC i feel damaged or screwed up the lore the most, illidan was never so evil and neither was Kael, they where Good Guys in my mind. Kael always tried to protect his people, even when the alliance tried to massacure them all, in a reallife sense I see him as a jewish leader living in a half nazi controlled world.
    And illidan just tried to use demonic energy to make himself stronger, but he never turned that power against his own people, he was exiled by one person. If obama exiled me I wouldent think of all americans as my enemy.

So im at a crossroads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfurion View Post
    WoD. It's not even real, they made it up because Metzen has a hard-on for orcs.
    This expac is going to be so boring for those of us that are seriously tired of orcs at this point, from a lore standpoint anyway.

Let's hope the <1 year xpac plan> turns out to be real. (lolright)
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2014-09-06 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    This expac is going to be so boring for those of us that are seriously tired of orcs at this point, from a lore standpoint anyway.

Let's hope the <1 year xpac plan> turns out to be real. (lolright)
    To be fair, there are twice as many people working on WoW as there were this time last year, let's at least wait and see if it was worth the investment first.
    You just lost The Game

Hard to say. I started in TBC so my view on TBC can be little biased since everything in the game was new to me having very little mmo experience in that time. Raids in TBC had some kind of prestige, there was no obsolete raids and no easy catch-up mechanics. Reasons why every new player must go immediately to the highest raid tier is still beyond be.
    Wotlk was like rollercoaster. There were nax and ulduar as great raids and ToC as mediocre one. Lore and questing was good too. ICC was quite good but damn it was here for ages.
    Cataclysm brought us remade world with some hilarious quests and extremely better starting experience. Lore was weak and end level zones dull. Raids was average and DW fight tacky.
    MoP ... well, I am not fan of this kind of chinese theme with dragons and mysterious dormant powers so lore and leveling meant nothing to me. There is sha everywhere. It's like some placeholder for every second boss. But pandaren starting zone is very well done.
    Wod looks interesting although I am very interested where the item squish will take us. When I was at brawler guild the few first bosses had interesting mechanics to make it challenging but on the higher tiers it was just beat the clock and to make the fight they just take some time away. This is done to raid fights lately which is bad.

MOP definitely. I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that happened this expansion.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    TBC by far.

Magtheridon: Help! Orcs are stealing my blood to make SUPER EVIL ORCS.
    Gruul: I'm in a cave!
    Illidan! Even though I was portrayed as a tragic hero, fighting for the greater good all throughout my existence, I am a bad guy with angst now so I'm an evil last boss.
    Lady Vash'j: I'm stealing all the water!
    Kael: Setbacks on setbacks!
    KJ: What is even happening right now
    You forgot Malchezaar: Hi, I'm the only unexplained end boss. Ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD. cheap and silly time traveling alternate universe sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    TBC. There was hardly any story to it at all, other than "here are a bunch of guys from WC3/TFT, have fun killing them". And this is coming from someone who thinks TBC was the best expansion.

Maybe because MoP has had the best in-game lore to date. If you could get past your retarded hate towards "pandas", maybe you'd see that.
    Can't a person dislike something without being called retarded anymore?
    I heavily dislike the Pandaren, and the entire continent being either Panda's or Bugs really started to bore me after 1 zone.

The lore is /meh. Maybe it's because this is the first time that an xpac has been built upon new lore, but I felt you could have just went from Cata to WoD storywise and it would have been the same. All we'd need to establish is how Garrosh got to be a baddie and why he has a timetraveling friend. All this can be done in 1 content patch (5.4).

And people saying that the pandaren are "legitimate" or had "prestablished lore" in W3C. No they didn't. That entire thing was a joke. Even the serious quests in Pandaria feel like a joke.

The only thing I like from MoP is the SoO raid (except the first wing, annoying boss mechanics).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Cataclysm should be winning this. It's pretty much everything Mists of Pandaria had, except the execution and missteps far outstep its potential greatness (not the least of which that Deathwing turned out so impersonal and such a force of nature that nobody really connected with him).

Burning Crusade having minimal lore also meant its impact on lore was more subdued, which isn't the same as being poor lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    And people saying that the pandaren are "legitimate" or had "prestablished lore" in W3C. No they didn't. That entire thing was a joke. Even the serious quests in Pandaria feel like a joke.
    Just because you want to make it all a joke doesn't mean it wasn't serious. The same April Fools lore on Pandaria was the de-facto Pandaria lore up until MoP upped it on its ends, and even then the basics were still there.

And beside which, Blizzard habitually made April Fools stunts that turned out to be real (the most recent being Pajamathur was real), so singling out Pandaren because they were originally part of it is disingenuous of you.
    Last edited by arcaneshot; 2014-09-06 at 11:26 AM.

Deleted
    It saddens me to see that Mists of Pandaria is leading this, it brought us such a great story flow and a lot of great character and faction introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Marclar View Post
    It saddens me to see that Mists of Pandaria is leading this, it brought us such a great story flow and a lot of great character and faction introduction.
    Yes, in terms of execution and actually involving the player in the story telling MoP was probably the best xpac so far. I guess even after more than 2 years it's still a hard task to sell something with a mostly asian theme and panda bears in the leading role to a heavily indoctrinated western audience. A shame, really, that not many are able to look past the veil of prejudice behind which they shut themselves in.

OT. I'd vote for Vanilla. But I can't. Which is a shame because that was really just a disconnected mess of random side stories. So it's going to be Cata because boring.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-09-06 at 01:18 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    You forgot Malchezaar: Hi, I'm the only unexplained end boss. Ever.
    Wow I completely forgot about Malchezaar, I can't remember any lore or storyline about him whatsoever, I just remember him being a shitty RNG boss who for some reason dropped Gorehowl.

Random Eredar lord at the top of Karazhan, jeez

Random Eredar lord at the top of Karazhan, jeez
    All true. But still Karazhan is the best raid instance they ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    It was good no doubt, particularly the atmosphere but i'd still put stuff like BT, Ulduar, Sunwell and maybe ICC above it tbh

Deleted
    Clearly TBC. Very very shallow lore and story building.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    It was good in the sense that it really felt like exploring a haunted building. There were basically all the rooms you would expect to be there, shortcuts, optional and random bosses and everything.

The same reasons most of the dungeons in classic felt great. The modern stuff is often one long corridor.

I don't understand how people think TBC had bad lore? The story was there, it was interesting, and it was just presented in a less than optimal way.

There was less flashiness because they didn't have things like phasing and they hadn't really done in game cinematics or scenario type events yet. The lore itself was quite fun and interesting though, it just required you to actually read the quests.

Cata was horrible as it was over-dramatic and had a lot of eye-roll moments and bad cliches. Mop was slightly better than cata since the story was actually kind of interesting and different, but it was still chock-full of horrible asian cliches and stereotypes.