Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So, I uh really like pet battles...

... And now I'm one step closer to becoming the very best (like no one ever was).

Got this a while ago, but I forgot to post it here. Just a dorky little achievement, but I'll take it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was extremely addicted to them for a while myself, until I did the Celestial Tournament with the 'wrong' pets which kind of ruined it for me.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy the collecting and leveling, really dislike the PvP. );

I'm with the above two. PvP is, kinda annoying (like hearthstone without buying cards). The trainers were fun (up until the celestial tournament, that's just annoying.) After awhile there's just too much sameness though. I got to where I level a pet from 1-25 in 20 min (my record, including travel time, usually it takes about 30 min though), and now... I dunno, just kinda burned out on it. Maybe it'll respark in WoD.

Still an avid collector though.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Deleted
    I tried pet battles few times but i just "cant" do them. In theory i know that you simply just use your pets abilities against other but in practice it's just like foreign language, i don't know how to do it, other than spamming skills mindlessly. Maybe it's something to do with a fact i've never even seen pokemon games live, i was already too old when they came up.

Also, after reading strategies to win celestial tournament etc. i don't like that "you need these certain pets to win"-thing. Ie. i want to make team of 3 good-looking pets but in reality i could not win anything with those because wrong skills/family/breed/whatever. It's the pet battle metagame i'm not interested in.

But you know, i don't pvp or raid either. If you like pet battles, good for you.

I like collecting, leveling and finding odds ways to do PvE. I don't like the celestials either and it is because I can't heal my pets which just made it a bigger time sink than it should be. IMO pet battle PVP is trash. There are a handful of team setups that are used over and over because a handful of pets are clearly not balanced. The only enjoyment I have been able to find in pet pvp is using wild caught or super easy to get pets in weird combinations to beat those overused pets.

When I do run into people that are using pets they like instead of what is "best" it is rather fun.

Your picture does make me smile though because your pet is one of those pets that everyone and their brother uses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    I tried pet battles few times but i just "cant" do them. In theory i know that you simply just use your pets abilities against other but in practice it's just like foreign language, i don't know how to do it, other than spamming skills mindlessly. Maybe it's something to do with a fact i've never even seen pokemon games live, i was already too old when they came up.

Also, after reading strategies to win celestial tournament etc. i don't like that "you need these certain pets to win"-thing. Ie. i want to make team of 3 good-looking pets but in reality i could not win anything with those because wrong skills/family/breed/whatever. It's the pet battle metagame i'm not interested in.

But you know, i don't pvp or raid either. If you like pet battles, good for you.
    This is a flaw in WoW pets vs Pokemon. In Pokemon there are some match ups that are really bad and should never be used but for the most part you can use what you want. There is functioning pets and best pets. Here in wow we have best pets, barley functional and RNG better be on your side, and useless.

Look at Wish from that damned crawdad vs repair on mechanicals. It has the same cooldown, heals for more, heals whichever pet you have active, and doesn't prevent you from doing anything for any rounds. This is just one of many examples of certain pet balance being way off and the only way I can explain that is Blizzard just doesn't care.

Since I have 599 unique pets and all if them leveled to 25 with some duplicates thrown in I say I like it too.
    Wish they allow me to sell the celestial tourney pets since I have long gotten them all and am sitting on 40+ coins from there in the hope I can do something with them in the future.
    As for pvp yes you will see a lot of the same but everything has a counter and once you know what counters what it is a great way to get xp for Alts as you grind to 5000 wins.
    I am currently at 4500+ getting ah so close

10+ Year Old Account
    Got the 5k normal battles..only at like 50 pvp battles can't stand them usually you have teams of really OP pets go against you>.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    and the only way I can explain that is Blizzard just doesn't care.
    It gets so very, very annoying when peoples' explanation for something in WoW not being the way they think it should be is "Blizzard doesn't care."

WoW nets Blizzard/Activision over a BILLION dollars a year. So yeah... if you think they don't care about it... you're braindead.

Are there pet balance issues? Absolutely. But 'not caring' isn't the source of that. Every resource they've got is dedicated to 6.0 and WoD atm (and to the expansion after WoD). Those things are more important to the long-term health of the game than making sure your bunny can successfully 1v1 a Mini-Fel Reaver.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2014-09-20 at 02:13 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Pet battles are too grindy imo, After doing about 100-150 battles in a few days it gets too boring. Trying to get myself to do the 5k pet battle achievements :P Not going to happen any time soon.

I think that as long as Blizzard introduces new trainers and awesome quest chains/missions, PBing will be alright. Hopefully they'll reconsider their comment of not changing the pet battle formula by introducing new mechanics or expanding the level cap, because there's really some potential and great opportunity to make pet battling even more fun.

My problem is that dueling face-to-face in way of pet battles is really neglected. I would love to see alot more incentive for people to PvP outside of the queue (seeing the pet battles go down in public is always cool imo xD). But anyways, they need to do a bit more with it and give it the replayability it's mean't to have.

I do know that Garrisons offer pet battle missions and dailies, but it would be cool if we had entire instances dedicated to pet battles sort of like gyms or caves in Pokemon. Just a nice thought to build on there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    It gets so very, very annoying when peoples' explanation for something in WoW not being the way they think it should be is "Blizzard doesn't care."

WoW nets Blizzard/Activision over a BILLION dollars a year. So yeah... if you think they don't care about it... you're braindead.

Are there pet balance issues? Absolutely. But 'not caring' isn't the source of that. Every resource they've got is dedicated to 6.0 and WoD atm (and to the expansion after WoD). Those things are more important to the long-term health of the game than making sure your bunny can successfully 1v1 a Mini-Fel Reaver.
    So what you're saying is that since pet battles aren't important to the long-term health of the game, they don't care enough to balance it.

Looks like you're agreeing with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post

Bunnies CAN 1v1 a mini-fel reaver. Quite easily. Bunny OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, for Pet Battles...

PvP wise, its dominated by a small number of pets. Out of the current.. ~700? pets, less then 10% of those are used (The vast majority of them are copies of weak movesets). Of course, thats pretty similar to Pokemon.

PvE wise... The celestial tourny has a HUGE number of possible combos that one can use in order to easily win. I've personally found my own combo to be much better for Chen Stormstout and Taren Zhu then online suggested combos (it removes the RNG out of it, and causes me to have 2 pets at the end). I have yet to see those combos found anywhere else. (For Taren Zhu, I use 2 generic maggots/worm pets, and Gu-chi swarmling for the stunner. A team of 3 swarmlings would probably work out good due to CC immunity, but would be expensive to do) Yes, there ARE certain teams that have a very high (often 100%, but not quite) success rate in the celestial tourny, but don't go just by online guides, experiment and find your own!

I do have to say that I am VERY disappointed with WoD. It seems that the pet meta-game isn't going to progress more besides adding even more OP pets to the scoreboard, and the PvE enviroment.. is lacking. (I personally think they introduced leg. quality WAY to soon. Just look at how they have to handle boss pets and such)

The pet breeding would have been fantastic. There are so many pets that are currently sub-par, but would be awesome with just a breed change.

I do, however, LOVE the RNG changes. No more missing- you instead deal less damage, which is huge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I agree PvP is pretty one sided but for while I was kicking ass with just a throw together of 3/35 lvl 25s against the same 3 battle pets faced like 8 different players with the same set up. It's annoying.

Congratulations bionics.

I burned out on the random pvp battles at 250. I had like 1-2 teams (with a few back ups for each) that I ran most of the time. I don't know what my win rate was, probably around 65%. In addition to me using the same pets most of the time, I ended up seeing a lot of the same pets that a lot of players used. It got boring. For in-game holidays, I'd even switch to holiday specific pets for variety (sometimes tanking my win rate, but I ended up finding my second good team that way). BTW, I only ran up against the same team I played once. Unborn Valkyr just didn't ever appeal to me.

The celestial tournament wasn't as demanding of exact pets as the guides make out. Use comments/guides as suggestions, matching your pets as well as you can. There may be some gaps you have to tame/level, you will have to have a relatively large pool of level 25 pets. Write down what pets and abilities you use, your guide for yourself will be tailored to the pets you have, and work much better/faster than pouring over guides and comments each time.

I'll probably get back into pet pvp during WoD, and I still do the trainer stuff sometimes, like when I get a batch of new pets I want to level up I do a circuit of MoP trainers with +xp treats. Or the celestial tournament when I have a character that needs a large chunk of VP.

The problem I've found with face to face pvp is that a lot of people in my guild are kind of interested in pet battles, but haven't really gotten into them. So they may have a team of level 10s, but not 25s. And I don't have many left around that level. One solution would be an option to scale both teams' stats down to the level of the lowest pet on the field, but keep the abilities they've unlocked.

I collected a bunch for a while and leveled up to start work on the Celestial Tournament, but it just felt too "simple" for me to continue. Never made it to the tournament.

I think I expected more strategy out of it. It felt like a cheaply made iphone app.

But if you like collecting pets, it's probably great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Bunnies CAN 1v1 a mini-fel reaver. Quite easily. Bunny OP.
    Most combos of 3 times the same pet have a certain OP factor to it.
    3 bunnies are very powerful. But if you're shit outta luck, you hit a team that counters your bunnies with ease.
    Same goes for 3 moths, 3 adders.. 3 XTs and and and....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Comp View Post
    I collected a bunch for a while and leveled up to start work on the Celestial Tournament, but it just felt too "simple" for me to continue. Never made it to the tournament.

I think I expected more strategy out of it. It felt like a cheaply made iphone app.

But if you like collecting pets, it's probably great.
    for myself, I love collecting pets, have them all in rare quality and max level 25.
    The PVP aspect just doesn't appeal too much to me, since it has an awfully high rng aspect to it.
    With 590 unique pets, there really isn't any combo I cannot throw into the race or one I couldn't counter. So it all boils down to luck of the pairings.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely something to do, but it's only really difficult if you're lacking in pet variety. Once you get a diverse lineup, the only thing remotely difficult is the Celestial Tournament...and you beat that by cheesing it with comps and healing your pets with sketchy tactics. lol

I just really, really want that stupid Xuen cub. I need it...
    Look! Words!

I did it from 5.1 - 5.3 like a lot of other folks, but by the time 5.4 rolled around I had lost interest