Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I obtained herald about 3 months ago. I don't know with prepatch, but back then we had alot of people between 200-220 ilvl.

Get some of the most broken dps, healers & tanks and you'll do fine with minimal gear.

Back then for us it was disc priests, resto shamans, hunters, hunters, hunters, death knight spamming blood boil, hunters, and disc priests.

All in that order. Except there should be disc priest in every spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    Back then for us it was disc priests, resto shamans, hunters, hunters, hunters, death knight spamming blood boil, hunters, and disc priests.
    >DKs spamming Blood Boil.
    Reminds me of level 55-60 BC dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    He has a point though, due to the Cataclysm/MoP expansions it is not the same achievement even at the same level. It was trivialised to the point where it was 2 manned, where previously it had been a challenge on par with a server first level hardmode/heroic boss kill. You had 1 hour per week that you could use to beat the boss, and you had to do it with really strict gear requirements.

In MOP classes were so strong that even level 70's could pull enough dps to beat the challenge comfortably. If not for the limitations of hit/glancing and entry requirements than a level 70 raid would actually been able to have easily beat the Herald of the Titans challenge in MOP with the numbers they pulled, probably also undermanning it.

It went from being a challenge that the majority of players simply would not be able to do, to where the only challenge was showing up. I'm not saying that as an elitist who did it when it was relevant... I had my chance to do it in WOTLK and I pulled out due to RL stuff, my guild got it with 2 players from another top guild on the server.. I didn't get it until MOP and it was such a joke... I'm happy to have the achievement but it's a joke achievement and the title is meaningless now because it should have been removed in Cataclysm.

It would be like having the challenge modes left in the game to be done at 90, but severly undertuned so that you could essencially solo the Gold. It is long past the point where removing Herald makes any difference any way.
    At least someone who gets the point.
    Either remove everything with "Immortal" achievements or don't remove any. They removed some and left in others.
    I almost feel ashamed to have done it when it was content, when I could have 2 manned it 3 years later with eyes closed.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Deleted
    Alright since i have since my last attempts gotten the achievement i will try to write some pointers and tips. A small guide if you will.

This is no longer a joke of an encounter, i got a handfull of tries on it back in Wotlk and it's harder now than it was then.

Gearing

Since this is an Achievement that requires specific gear being used and you have the benefit of obtaining a complete set of good items without much hassle this should be you first priority.

With the stat squish it's not just 226 Gear that are really good even naxx gear at this point is good, take a look at the setbonuses and the sockets. They help.

You need to socket ALL of your gear with wotlk epic gems, onyxia is a good place to get a few. MoP enchants can be applied to the wotlk gear. Get gear and Gem and enchant it. No exception.

Cata flasks and food is mandatory.

Learning the encounter

The encounter tactics hasn't changed at all, the dps requirement is a lot tighter now and the healing... the healing. Let's just say you need more healing per second on this encounter than you would need on several SoO normal encounters.

Watch old tactics videos on youtube, read up on the encounter and get a few tries on it while being boosted for gear, the main part is to learn how cosmic smash works, how far you need to be from it to take min dmg and such. Get a feeling of the encounter. Don't show up not knowing what to do do.

If the class you are playing is new to you you should learn to play it very well before attempting this. Spend time reading up on your class and spend some time on training dummys.

Finding a group

Open raid should be a good place to search for a group.

This encounter is at this point roughly as hard as prenerf heroic (mythic) encounters was. Would you bring players with no gems or enchants to mythic? no and you ain't bringing them here either. They are mandatory to get this achievement. Would adivse you not to even join a group where people aren't gemmed and enchanted unless you want to practice the tactics a bit. It is going to fail. Miserably.

You will need 2 tanks 3 healers and 5 dps.

He has 4 257 600 hp and dies at roughly 5% and has 6 min enrage. This means you will need to do 4044720 dmg in 6 minutes or 11235.3 dps/sec on the boss. I would recommend not bringing dps under 3000dps, star killer will have lower dps and tanks should bring somewhere around 1k each.

Healing on this boss is never really enough. 4k+ hps should be what the healers are aiming for or atleast 12k+hps raidwide.

Tanks should be 50-60k hp flasked and buffed.

If you are setting up a group or in a group this should be minimum if people can't do it just replace them as fast as you can. They are not pulling their own weight.

Algalon himself

Gonna start with this image of him wrecking a decent geared warrior tank, no flask or food buff at the moment but still. He's capable of throwing out this kind of sustained dmg. This is not any special ability or something this is susntained melee. Add a star dying to that and you are facing 44k in a second.

The encounter dmg should definatly be nerfed to be less spiky, it seems like he isn't adapted to the new way of healing.

Tank switches. These will come every now and then and the tanks needs to announce their switch way before they do it. If you just taunt without healers knowing in advance you are gonna die.

If more than one healer needs to move from cosmic smash tanks are most likely gonna die. So spread your healers.

Don't kill stars near players, should be a no brainer. Dps can move healers really can't move much at all because of the insane ammount of dmg going out on tanks.

When you walk into a black hole during big bang move towards algalon and group up there for easier raid healing and to easily be able to get heals of on your tank. If you are standing where a black hole is when you get phased out you will get phased right back in.

Save hero for last phase.

Proof of Demise

http://i.imgur.com/TxJ1a1V.jpg (For bigger picture)

If you have any questions on anything feel free to ask.

Edit

Looked through the post and got the feeling i'm ranting a lot.

However i did around 60 tries where we never even broke 50% due to people not being geared, lacking gems and enchants, flasks and food, not having a clue about the encounter mechanics or simply not having a clue on how to play their class. So this is much of a list of things people did wrong or had a hard time grasping.

It would save everyone a lot of wipes and time if you simply came as well prepared as you could and knew the things written here.

And it would have saved me a lot of time if i had the common sense to leave when people weren't as well prepared as they should have or the raid leader was to weak to kick the people being bad.

Learn from my experience or you a doomed to repeat the wipefest i had to go through.
    Last edited by mmoc19a4667525; 2014-11-10 at 12:44 PM.

For more reference, you can use level 70 epic gems, all of the gems give the same amount of stats now, you can use level 70 gems in your 90 gear if you want as they give the same as level 90 gems too. You can also use level 70 enchants which will in some cases be better, I'm using Executioner/Mongoose on some of my level 90s now as the squish made them strong... Mongoose was nerfed (60 agil + 15 haste now) so Dancing Steel should be better (80 Str/Agi at level 80) with it's superior proc rate, Executioner still gives 120 crit though that may be temporary as it was meant to have been nerfed.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Wished as they did with the legendary cloak they just made this unobtainable at the end of wrath.

Glad it did get harder again though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    For more reference, you can use level 70 epic gems, all of the gems give the same amount of stats now, you can use level 70 gems in your 90 gear if you want as they give the same as level 90 gems too. You can also use level 70 enchants which will in some cases be better, I'm using Executioner/Mongoose on some of my level 90s now as the squish made them strong... Mongoose was nerfed (60 agil + 15 haste now) so Dancing Steel should be better (80 Str/Agi at level 80) with it's superior proc rate, Executioner still gives 120 crit though that may be temporary as it was meant to have been nerfed.
    This is good information, 70 gems should be a lot easier to get and get crafted, get theese instad of wotlk gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Wished as they did with the legendary cloak they just made this unobtainable at the end of wrath.

Glad it did get harder again though
    They didn't (even tho they should have, removing the Argent Defender and keeping Herald didn't make much sense) and they really let the encounter sink during cata and mop. Now however Algalon the Raid Destroyer is restored to his former glory and isn't a walk in the park.

I am looking to do this on my alliance hunter. I am geared and rdy. Would like to find a group or help put one together. US servers.

Otherwise I can pay if there are carry groups around. Please let me know on here and I can send you my battletag and we can coordinate a run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoibhe View Post
    I am looking to do this on my alliance hunter. I am geared and rdy. Would like to find a group or help put one together. US servers.

Otherwise I can pay if there are carry groups around. Please let me know on here and I can send you my battletag and we can coordinate a run.
    You can try finding a group on Openraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    You can try finding a group on Openraid.
    Thank you. I will do just that!

Some people have mentioned Naxx gear since the stat squish, but I found that some T6 gear is better as it may be lacking 1 to a main stat but has an extra socket. The T6 bracers are nice for a lot of dps and could be paired with chest or shoulders to get 2pc.

Sweet, so they just put in a stealth nerf to bonus armor...probably because of low level PvP. Our tanks gearing for this just dropped from 30% damage reduction from Bonus Armor down to 5%. Thanks blizzard!

Items that had 60 bonus armor now have 10.