Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Low uptime on Breath?

Hey guys. First time poster here. I'm trying my best to maximize my BoS uptime for each fight, but I know that it could be higher. I try to follow Jellosdk's philosophy of augmenting DPS over survivability (within reason, of course). I use Str for my pot and flask. My opener is Prepot(Str) -> BB+DC -> DS -> DRW+OB. I try to stack RP and Runes before I use BoS. I try to PL before ERW, so I can use PL again (ideally). It really feels like I can improve, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I just have other questions that I'm unsure of like whether to use DS over BB for Twins. I'm not convinced that it's a MS issue, though of course I could benefit from it.) Thanks in advance :)
    Edit-
    Logs: www (dot) warcraftlogs (dot) com/reports/mzyQ6r8WTGXfath3#view=rankings&fight=32
    Armory: us (dot) battle (dot) net/wow/en/character/bloodhoof/Talon/simple
    Last edited by LimeMouse; 2015-01-25 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    use bonus armor pot homie g

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't wish to sound blunt or anything...

You're the tank, you job isn't to be top dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post

No, but it is part of your job to be doing as much dps as you can when you aren't in extremely threatening situations (90+% of the time)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Strength scales higher than for damage than bonus armor does

Armor pot gives 1500. Strength only gives 1000. We're not getting +50% str from procs.

Don't come in a thread and ask for help to shoot down people trying to help you.

I'm not trying to shoot people down. I've just found more posts supporting using Strength pots over BA. That's all. He could be completely 100% correct

he is correct. bonus armor provides more attack power than strength.

I'll start using the BA pots then . I wasn't aware that it actually scaled THAT high

- - - Updated - - -

Other than the pot, what am I doing wrong regarding the uptime on BoS? Is it a gameplay issue? Am I not using enough BTs, or is it just the low MS? I can't figure it out at all TT

Your job is to maximize your output, while traversing the mechanics and staying alive, regardless of role. Fortunately, every fight has different mechanics, or adds, or frequency of burst required, to the point where different specs can be #1, and showcase how great they are. (That includes tanks)

On topic: You should ideally be using that first DRW on the pull, as your current opener has half of your opening rotation outside of it. I save ERW for my 2nd Breath, as that's the one you don't have Bloodlust for, and will need the help. You also don't need to guess on BB vs DS on Twins, since you have your own logs in front of you. (Your average DS is 19k, your average BB is 7k) Your MS is low, but you can't really control what drops. (I still don't have a Shockwave Signet)

Do you use your 2nd Breath at 30% or whenever your trinkets are up or whenever BoS is off cooldown? Is my opening rotation wrong, and am I doing a poor job with my BoS uptime considering my MS? Anything I can do to improve? I'm very motivated

1. Whenever my 2nd Breath lines up with another set of procs. 2. I already commented on your opener, which has 3 damaging abilities outside of your first DRW, though DRW isn't that strong anymore. 3. No. 4. I didn't look through everything to be able to tell you, but nothing really stood out as an egregious error outside of the pot thing.

Even with perfect play, you can still have bad uptime % due to RNG.
    Here's my (first kill) butcher logs:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=77
    I played that far from perfect, i would say, but it has decent ~35% uptime for you to compare.
    I missed a few seconds of uptime on the pull due to the fact that i was pulling the boss first that night and have to run into position before he's actually in melee range.

now let's compare our RP income during the fight:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...=162&spell=106

above is yours, and here is mine:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=77&spell=106

as you notice i gained 295 more runic power then you, over pretty much exactly the same fight duration - and that is not counting the 40 from arcane torrent.

Arcane torrent is a big advantage though. Don't be afraid to BB twice over DS if your RP is high, to avoid overcapping RP - as you notice in # casts between our logs, I have a few less death strikes and more blood boils for a more smoother RP bar. But all in all, RNG is everything, and the only thing you can do to get RNG more in your favour, is by getting more multistrike on gear. And ofcourse, rolling a blood elf
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Well it is my job to do top damage. Have you not seen his line "Following Jellosdk's philosophy of augmenting DPS over survivability (within reason, of course)."

Anyway. I take it you are BB into Death Coil?! I wouldn't do that. I personally just: Armor Pot > DRW > Icy Touch > Plague Strike > (if RP is over 50+ just Breath here) > DS > Breath if you didn't use earlier then never over cap RP.

Thats personally how I open on fights I use it right away. I'd rather get breath up with all the RPPM procs on pull instead of when they are already off.

If I plague leech during Breath I manually cast dots again due to it still gives the same RP overall. Not sure if its 100% the best just what I have been doing since I started using Breath. Granted most fights you just can BB dots back onto your target just can't do it on Butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Well it is my job to do top damage. Have you not seen his line "Following Jellosdk's philosophy of augmenting DPS over survivability (within reason, of course)."

Anyway. I take it you are BB into Death Coil?! I wouldn't do that. I personally just: Armor Pot > DRW > Icy Touch > Plague Strike > (if RP is over 50+ just Breath here) > DS > Breath if you didn't use earlier then never over cap RP.

Thats personally how I open on fights I use it right away. I'd rather get breath up with all the RPPM procs on pull instead of when they are already off.

If I plague leech during Breath I manually cast dots again due to it still gives the same RP overall. Not sure if its 100% the best just what I have been doing since I started using Breath. Granted most fights you just can BB dots back onto your target just can't do it on Butcher.
    I wouldn't listen to this guy "Jellodk". I've seen his dps and I'm not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post

Why not outbreak at pull? saves you 2 runes for a DS
    Also, BB refreshes dots even on a pure singletarget fight like butcher(unless you spec NP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    Why not outbreak at pull? saves you 2 runes for a DS
    Also, BB refreshes dots even on a pure singletarget fight like butcher(unless you spec NP)
    Because it costs 30 RP and casting both dots is the same RP gain as a DS just less burst damage. BB doesn't refresh dots single target.... when you PL them off?

You could argue that you could not glyph OB on Butcher, but the other 50% of the fight you don't have BoS up id rather have outbreak usable every 25sec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LimeMouse View Post
    Strength scales higher than for damage than bonus armor does
    Bonus Armor is THE dps stat for tank. Period. (as far as potions go)
    Last edited by mmoc3d7f422663; 2015-01-27 at 11:26 AM.

Had a look at your armory too now that i have some more time.
    Your gear (apart from ilvl) isn't that much different compared to mine, some of the highmaul pieces are just terribly itemized, and if you pickup every single one of them just for the itemlevel, you will end up with a pretty bad stat distribution - even when you enchant full MS like we both do.

If you look at my armory, I went for 2 3/3 crafted MS>Mastery items in slots that are badly itemized, i went for head and gloves. The 685 (like, no socket/wf) might sim equal, maybe better, but you get a few hundred MS, which I prefer over a little bit more theoretical dps/surv numbers.

Playing BoS with that low MS % is just such a pain in the ass. The 670 craftables are perfectly viable and you can upgrade them to 680 next patch.
    I sit around 35% MS raidbuffed - if you checked my logs i linked earlier, all my abilities over the course of the fight, its sitting at 25-40% MS.
    Sure, I sacrifice some crit/str (on gloves and head), which, with lucky rng, gives better dps numbers - but crit does not help you keep BoS up at all.

With savage bloods being at a reasonable level (atleast here on kazzak EU), i would give it a try, since you don't have mythic gear in these slots so nothing alternative, it's a good upgrade for you and you will see a noticeable increase on "RNG" BoS uptime.

edit:
    Also, someone correct me if I am wrong - out of a purely dps PoV, running RC nets you more runes/minute than BT does, and it keeps your runes charging in pairs, which is amazing. I never managed the same BoS uptime running BT. It's worth a try atleast, it works for me but I don't know the maths for it out of the top of my head, someone else will be able to answer that one better
    Last edited by falagar112; 2015-01-27 at 06:43 PM. Reason: tired
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    edit:
    Also, someone correct me if I am wrong - out of a purely dps PoV, running RC nets you more runes/minute than BT does, and it keeps your runes charging in pairs, which is amazing. I never managed the same BoS uptime running BT. It's worth a try atleast, it works for me but I don't know the maths for it out of the top of my head, someone else will be able to answer that one better
    I might be wrong here as well, but I believe the reason we keep BT is that it allows us more control with Rune regeneration, so as to save a Death Strike banked "in case of emergency". I believe the math also would make Runic Empowerment = more death runes (so long as you game your blood runes) than either choice, but that's highly nonoptimal for use as a "tank".