Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Gay blood donation: 'No evidence' to support outright ban

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31131316

About bloody time! Personally I find it embarrassing that the bar was only lifted in England, Wales & Scotland in 2011! I understand the precautions in the 80s but not now!

10+ Year Old Account
    What next allowing gay people to use the same toilets as other people? >.<

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still understand the precautions now. But those precautions should be taken by anyone that gives blood.

Though how can they enforce it, I'm sure if a Gay/Bi guy really wanted to give blood he wouldn't have to say he was Gay.

But what if it infects people with gay!

We have the same thing here, I think it's fairly stupid at this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I still understand the precautions now. But those precautions should be taken by anyone that gives blood.

Though how can they enforce it, I'm sure if a Gay/Bi guy really wanted to give blood he wouldn't have to say he was Gay.
    As far as I know they screen the blood for possible infections regardless

Deleted
    This makes me wonder as well. How would they even know that you are gay if you do not want them to know? I mean...they pretty much have to take you at your word.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2015-02-05 at 12:36 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    As far as I know they screen the blood for possible infections regardless
    Exactly so why the fuck aren't gay people allowed to give Blood. It is beyond stupid. I wouldn't care if I had blood from a Straight person or a Gay person put into me if I was dying.

Hell I'd even prefer Gay blood, It may give me some fashion sense.

Deleted
    I confess I always got infuriated when they begged for blood donations whilst systematically alienating potential donors

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31131316

About bloody time! Personally I find it embarrassing that the bar was only lifted in England, Wales & Scotland in 2011! I understand the precautions in the 80s but not now!
    I always raise my eyebrows at that question on the blood donation form "Have you ever had sexual intercourse with another man?"

Why? What difference does it make?

Deleted
    Oh please, anyone with more than 2 neurons knew "gay blood" doesn't alter one's sexual preferences. The real reason why these transfusions were banned was because gays are more likely to have aids (I hope I don't have to explain why) and even though blood is tested, no one wants to take the risk that the tester does a poor job.

This...rule is from 60 years ago when aids ran rampant and medical science was poorer than today.
    Last edited by mmocb0df9ab900; 2015-02-05 at 12:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly so why the fuck aren't gay people allowed to give Blood. It is beyond stupid. I wouldn't care if I had blood from a Straight person or a Gay person put into me if I was dying.

Hell I'd even prefer Gay blood, It may give me some fashion sense.
    I would happily donate blood, but god forbid I corrupt some more poor specimen with my attraction to certain men. Or maybe I should. Spread sparkles and fabulousness one donation at a time.

Its possible I too may lack fashion sense but we can try anyway dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    I always raise my eyebrows at that question on the blood donation form "Have you ever had sexual intercourse with another man?"

Why? What difference does it make?
    Just ask them if they volunteer and they shut up about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erris View Post
    Oh please, anyone with more than 2 neurons knew "gay blood" doesn't alter one's sexual preferences. The real reason why these transfusions were banned was because gays are more likely to have aids (I hope, I don't have to explain why) and even though blood is tested, no one want to take the risk that the tester does a poor job.
    1. AIDS is ridiculously low
    2. HIV stopped been a gay only issue

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont care if they are allowed to donate, but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

HIV is still more common among gay people, even it it's only slightly higher. Plus, there is a timeframe between getting infected by HIV and HIV tests showing positive results on you.

I still disagree with the ban though, but you have to see both sides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they are allowed to donate, but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.
    What is your reason for that other than plain homophobia?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its still a MAINLY gay issue. From the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/

Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)a represent approximately 2% of the United States population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2010, young gay and bisexual men (aged 13-24 years) accounted for 72% of new HIV infections among all persons aged 13 to 24, and 30% of new infections among all gay and bisexual men. At the end of 2011, an estimated 500,022 (57%) persons living with an HIV diagnosis in the United States were gay and bisexual men, or gay and bisexual men who also inject drugs.

Deleted
    So you would rather die?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay the character is back.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    HIV is still more common among gay people, even it it's only slightly higher. Plus, there is a timeframe between getting infected by HIV and HIV tests showing positive results on you.

I still disagree with the ban though, but you have to see both sides.
    I do and frankly since all blood is screened regardless it seems obsolete