Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Just so I don't misconstrue what you're saying, do you agree with this statement:

"Climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities."

*crickets*
    100% fact?

It's no different than the studies from other countries related to firearm regulation, or "owning a gun makes you less safe," or the CDC's projections about the loss of life costs to society.

It's all conjecture, except it gets touted as fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

7+ Year Old Account
    The scientific evidence behind AGW is a guess?
    You're asking if the supporting data of a theory is a guess. Interesting. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    It's no different than the studies from other countries related to firearm regulation, or "owning a gun makes you less safe," or the CDC's projections about the loss of life costs to society.

Somehow a persons views on climate change have a direct correlation with gun control.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    You're asking if the supporting data of a theory is a guess. Interesting. /s
    He's just learning what a hypothesis is give him time.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Somehow a persons views on climate change have a direct correlation with gun control.
    It's just a "science denial" ad hominem.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    The projections about the future are a guess.
    This is a completely transparent oversimplification. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    100% fact?
    I asked you a question that requires one of the two following responses: I agree or I disagree.

So again, I'll ask you this very simple question. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

"Climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities."
    Eat yo vegetables

This is a completely transparent oversimplification. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
    No, it's not. That's just your confirmation bias showing.

Conjecture: "an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information."

This is the opposite of conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Conjecture: "an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information."

This is the opposite of conjecture.
    conjecture: an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.

Yay, citing dictionaries is fun.

Guess: "to arrive at or commit oneself to an opinion about (something) without having sufficient evidence to support the opinion fully:"

The fact is that you are using words that are meant to refer to situations where information is lacking. There is not information lacking here.

Guess: "to arrive at or commit oneself to an opinion about (something) without having sufficient evidence to support the opinion fully:"

The fact is that you are using words that are meant to refer to situations where information is lacking. There is not information lacking here.
    None of what was discussed here is fully supported. It's all projections and opinions that are not certain.

None of what was discussed here is fully supported. It's all projections and opinions that are not certain.
    Certainty is not required to be reasonable. My girlfriend is going to be home after work tonight. Am I certain? No, but it's a reasonable expectation based on past events. It would be unreasonable of me to make a different assumption based on no new information that invalidates the previous pattern. In fact, it would even be unreasonable of me to make no assumption whatsoever, given how clear the pattern has been.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not. That's just your confirmation bias showing.
    Picking the winner of the Super Bowl is a guess.

Scientific models that project what will happen if we continue to dump 'X' amount of CO2 into the atmosphere is hardly a guess. That's a gross, gross oversimplification.
    Eat yo vegetables

Were it up to me, I would ban assault rifles and handguns. The only purpose of a handgun is to enable one person to kill another. They have no other designed capability. A handgun is an accessible, convenient, intuitive, weapon design to allow one person to quickly direct massive force towards another person with the intention of rendering that person dead. That's it. The hollow arguments of the NRA and their pet politicians do not change that fact.

Picking the winner of the Super Bowl is a guess.
    Oh, so the people who are using "highly scientifically processed" statistical analyses are just "guessing."

Scientific models that project what will happen if we continue to dump 'X' amount of CO2 into the atmosphere is hardly a guess. That's a gross, gross oversimplification.
    If you do not know for certain what will happen, and you are making a statement about what you think might happen, it's a guess.

If calling it a "guess" is a gross oversimplification, then calling it "highly scientifically processed" or a "scientific projection" is a gross embellishment.

Oh, so the people who are using "highly scientifically processed" statistical analyses are just "guessing."

If you do not know for certain what will happen, and you are making a statement about what you think might happen, it's a guess.

If calling it a "guess" is a gross oversimplification, then calling it "highly scientifically processed" or a "scientific projection" is a gross embellishment.
    Again, Guess means "to arrive at or commit oneself to an opinion about (something) without having sufficient evidence to support the opinion fully:"

What evidence is lacking?

Again, Guess means "to arrive at or commit oneself to an opinion about (something) without having sufficient evidence to support the opinion fully:"

What evidence is lacking?
    The evidence that says "this will happen."

The evidence that says "this will happen."
    What would that evidence look like in this case.

What would that evidence look like in this case.
    I'm not a climate researcher, so I certainly don't have the answer.

Nevertheless, that is what constitutes certainty.

I'm not a climate researcher, so I certainly don't have the answer.

Nevertheless, that is what constitutes certainty.
    Nobody can be certain about anything. The laws of physics could be broken in ten seconds. Certainty is a myth, and doesn't matter.

If you are so ignorant about climate research, how did you determine that the current evidence is insufficient?