[Movie] Warcraft (June 2016)

I looked but failed to see a Warcraft discussion post so I decided to create this one. Anything related to this movie (news, ideas, pictures, videos, popular tweets, etc) can be posted here.

Latest updates:

- Jakks Pacific set to produce toys of any type for Legendary Pictures

- Grommash Hellscreen will appear on the movie, Terry Notary (Planet of the Apes) is playing him

- Director discusses on Twitter marketing strategies for the movie, specifically trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Ye, but that thread is 2 months old and it's best not to necro it, especially because it's for trailer, not movie as a whole.

On topic, I hope people have enugh information about ti so far that they won't go about Arthas nonsense.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2015-02-18 at 06:45 PM.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Notary is not playing Grom. Don't believe everything you read on imdb when we know very little about a film. The only confirmed cast members were those announced from Blizzcon, and a few others who have mentioned they are in the film, but have not specified their role (Daniel Cudmore).
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

What's the chance that this movie becomes as suscessful as LoTR?

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Unlikely. LotR films were the first of their kind, and now the novelty has worn off. Still, it is very likely to smash the box office, at least for a couple weeks.

We can only hope.

very slim

let's just hope it is a good movie first

10+ Year Old Account
    the story needs to be good. thats what big block buster films lack lately.

hopefully blizz supervisors wont let them screw it up
    Hi

The Warcraft movie has the potential to be:

- The first GOOD movie based on a videogame. Silent Hill was okay-ish, and it's probably the best so far.

- A small milestone in visual effects. The guy from Life of Pi was talking in Blizzcon about being able to preview the CGI while recording. So even if the plot ended up sucking, the movie could still be considered an impressive achievement in that regard.

I find it unlikely it'll be a huge success.
    People who know the game will either hate it because they hate the game or hate it because they love the game and they didn't like how they did X or Y.
    People who don't know the game but know it's based on a game won't be interested.
    And people who don't know anything about it will just compare it to LotR.

It's hard to sell this movie, really. They have to make it well and they have to convince many different watchers who will look for very different things in it.

Deleted
    I actually think this movie has the potential to be very appealing to the general public. WoW's reputation isn't the best, but I think much of the general public doesn't even really know about it. Many won't know this is even a video game adaptation I'd wager. It has a big base fanbase. And the premise of good orcs is going to be something that most of the audience won't have seen before. There will be comparisons to Lotr but I think they will be positive comparisons, like "oh that's cool, they're changing up the usual lotr formula a bit."

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    The Warcraft movie has the potential to be:

- The first GOOD movie based on a videogame. Silent Hill was okay-ish, and it's probably the best so far.

- A small milestone in visual effects. The guy from Life of Pi was talking in Blizzcon about being able to preview the CGI while recording. So even if the plot ended up sucking, the movie could still be considered an impressive achievement in that regard.

I find it unlikely it'll be a huge success.
    People who know the game will either hate it because they hate the game or hate it because they love the game and they didn't like how they did X or Y.
    People who don't know the game but know it's based on a game won't be interested.
    And people who don't know anything about it will just compare it to LotR.

It's hard to sell this movie, really. They have to make it well and they have to convince many different watchers who will look for very different things in it.
    I thought the first Mortal Kombat movie was pretty good. It wasn't revolutionary or anything, but I found it more enjoyable than Silent Hill. Could just be because I was eight when it came out.

I was kind-of hoping they'd do Arthas and the events of WC3. It's arguably the best story Blizzard has made for the Warcraft universe. Not gonna happen with this one though, so I hope it's at least on base with things they have already introduced.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of like the idea of starting with Warcraft: Orcs and humans. While the story at the time was pretty all over the place in cannon, iots nice to see a movie form of this to see what route they take.

While I am excited at seeing what the races look like I am more interesting in the scenery, like seeing how they will picture Elywnn forest, Deadwind Pass, Draenor, the Black Morass before it became the Blasted Lands and other such areas. I do wonder if towns like Grand Hamlet and Sunnyglade from Duskwood.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I kind of like the idea of starting with Warcraft: Orcs and humans. While the story at the time was pretty all over the place in cannon, iots nice to see a movie form of this to see what route they take.

While I am excited at seeing what the races look like I am more interesting in the scenery, like seeing how they will picture Elywnn forest, Deadwind Pass, Draenor, the Black Morass before it became the Blasted Lands and other such areas. I do wonder if towns like Grand Hamlet and Sunnyglade from Duskwood.
    From the trailer at Blizzcon, I saw Nethergarde keep, Stormwind (which looks almost EXACTLY like the ingame version, despite being pre-rebuilt), and Dalaran. All look similar to the game versions.

Only major difference I saw so far from the trailer was Dalaran flying, which indicates that in the film the Kirn Tor plan to save the city actually works (whereas in the canon it fails) and the city is flown away from the orcish armies. Pretty big recton. Then again, it probably goes without saying that game canon overrides film canon.

You'll love the sheer amount of detail they've invested into the places man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    very slim

let's just hope it is a good movie first
    Ayup. I'm expecting something on the order of Dungeon Siege with a bigger budget. Anything better and I'll be (pleasantly) surprised.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    From the trailer at Blizzcon, I saw Nethergarde keep, Stormwind (which looks almost EXACTLY like the ingame version, despite being pre-rebuilt), and Dalaran. All look similar to the game versions.
    How can it be Nethergarde, when the keep was built by Khadgar after the 2nd war to keep an eye on the Dark Portal? And this is the 1st war.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was no Nethergarde keep, hes making that up. The locations were:

Dalaran
    Stormwind
    What looks like some place in Draenor
    Hellfire Peninsula/Tanaan
    Stormwind's Throne Room.

Most of the rough shots were between characters and the emphasis of the screening was on the ''finished'' shot of Durotan.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    There was no Nethergarde keep, hes making that up. The locations were:

Dalaran
    Stormwind
    What looks like some place in Draenor
    Stormwind's Throne Room.

Most of the rough shots were between characters and the emphasis of the screening was on the ''finished'' shot of Durotan.
    In the trailer at Blizzcon, there was a shot from our side of the DP with a town a little ways away. Only thing that comes to mind is Nethergarde.

- - - Updated - - -

Or that, though doesn't make sense that there would be a settlement right outside their DP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    And this is the 1st war.
    From the footage I saw, it looks like it may be both wars. The Kirin Tor didn't try to fly the city away until the 2nd war, correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever, no point in trying to argue since the shots were rough and quick enough for them to not get a direct referance outside of Stormwind and Dalaran. The Dark portal and Draenor were the other location shots focused.

Whatever, no point in trying to argue since the shots were rough and quick enough for them to not get a direct referance outside of Stormwind and Dalaran. The Dark portal and Draenor were the other location shots focused.
    Not sure what your getting at here.

- - - Updated - - -

I do know what your getting at here; your calling me a liar. I wanted to see if you'd say so yourself.

Well, you can go do that.