Thread: keto diet

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Maybe try some dill pickles? They do have some carbs, but the vinegar might break up the "stodgy" feeling.
    Dude, Claussen pickles. I can and have eaten two jars of those fuckers in one sitting. The results were not pleasant but I still think it was worth it. So. Good.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    2500 calories is considerably over maintenance for many men, especially if they're only semi-active, much less sedentary. 2000 calories is almost certainly way too much for most women. A 25 year old man that stands 6 feet and weighs 180 (24.4 BMI) and exercises three times a week (MWF with weekends off... this is pretty normal for most people) will have a TDEE of 2523, and that's just an estimate. Eating 2500 calories a day will likely be too many, especially if they exercise less than that (TDEE estimate 2200 with little to no exercise.)

A woman that stands 5'5" and weighs 140 (23.3 BMI) with the same exercise regimen only needs 1900 calories to meet TDEE, and not quite 1700 if she doesn't exercise regularly. Eating 2000 calories would be a great way for her to gain weight.

People like you are why it's so hard for people to find useful information on the subject, because you know very little on the subject yet speak as if you're an expert.
    I never said I was an expert. I just shared my experience and knowledge. Just like everyone else here.

I assume you work out when you want to lose weight. I workout 4 times a week and I eat 3200 calories a day (40% carbs). I feel and look better than ever. A year ago I also worked out 4 times a week but more focused on endurance, I was on 1800 calories or so and only ate vegetables and meat basically. I felt like shit because I had no energy and I didn't really lose much fat.
    It's obviously different per individual. And I said it were averages, the averages in the Netherlands at least. I also clearly said to calculate your maintenance...

Carbs are very bad for you. High triglycerides, which is a primary factor in congestive heart disease (clogged arteries), come purely from having too many carbs in your diet. Unless you are very active, you need few carbs and should get most of your calories from fat and protein.
    Like I said I assume people work out when they want to lose weight because it's healthy for you and effective. I also said that 60% carbs is recommended (NOT BY ME) for endurance athletes (that's people who run marathons etc.) and 40% carbs is already considered a low carb diet. Sitting on 5%... how do you do that exactly? You barely eat vegetables and tons of meat and fat? Tell me how that works out for your kidneys and how you feel during and after your workout. You really do need that energy to have an effective workout.

Carbs being bad for you is just a myth. Just like fat was bad for you.

It works fine. Again, you're ignorant on the subject.
    Everything works for losing weight. 1200 calories consisting of 1% carbs, 98% protein and 1% fat works just fine. The problem is that you are better off focusing on your health instead of weight.

So hostile... not that I didn't expect a reply like yours. Keep using BMI... the most useless statistic ever. Mine is 25.8 so I am overweight. It's not that muscle I gained which will help me stay healthy especially when I get older.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2015-02-19 at 02:40 PM.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since we're on topic: I'm five days into a Keto diet. Feels alright so far. Eating a lot of pepperoni these days. I haven't been weighing myself (I don't have a scale), but I can say that I feel less tired on average despite starting a more demanding work schedule this week, and I'm way less hungry. I've dropped soda and picked up a bit of an unsweetened tea habit, but that shouldn't be too bad. Plenty of water through the day, too.

This weekend I'll grab some sticks and test my pee to see if I'm doin' it right.

Oh, I made a sweet soy sauce bacon-and-veg stir fry last night. I split the recipe for two dinners and still couldn't quite finish my portion, which is kind of cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

How does anybody get filled up on this diet? Ate a double bacon cheeseburger from 5 guys today...left me starving.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    How does anybody get filled up on this diet? Ate a double bacon cheeseburger from 5 guys today...left me starving.
    I am confused as to what you are saying?

You are on keto and you ate a burger to no avail, or you ate a burger because you were dying of starvation from keto diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I am confused as to what you are saying?

You are on keto and you ate a burger to no avail, or you ate a burger because you were dying of starvation from keto diet?
    Its 5 guys so I had a burger with lettuce for a bun, and because of that I am left starving.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

So you've had maybe 500 calories all day? Add more fat to your diet if you're determined to do keto, also make sure you're taking vitamin supplements.

Its 5 guys so I had a burger with lettuce for a bun, and because of that I am left starving.
    No, you aren't starving. You might feel hungry. That isn't starving.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Fairly easy. Add bunch of cheese, butter/lard, mayo, any type of cooked meat (pork/beef/fatty fish/chicken with the skin) and dark green veggies in your diet and you are all set. Just count your calories and make sure you are below 20-30 carbs per day. If you are unsure how many calories you need - use the Keto calculator. My Fitness Pal is also an amazing app. Use a kitchen counter to measure the weight of the food. Drink one broth per day and lots of water. You're set.

I'm 5 days into keto, feeling awesome and have lots of energy. Already lost 2kg, even though it is only water.

Page 18 of this thread is basically a case study in why I would never bother with this dopey diet. For fuck's sake, are people really so incompetent at moving around and eating reasonable quantities of food that they need to resort to eating lard and are terrified that having an apple will throw them off?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Page 18 of this thread is basically a case study in why I would never bother with this dopey diet. For fuck's sake, are people really so incompetent at moving around and eating reasonable quantities of food that they need to resort to eating lard and are terrified that having an apple will throw them off?
    I've never advocated for this diet, high fat/red meat intake + low amounts of fruits/vegetables is a recipe for cardiovascular disease, higher cancer risk and nutritional deficiencies.

A well designed high lean-protein diet that includes a lot of quality plant intake is healthy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    Fairly easy. Add bunch of cheese, butter/lard, mayo, any type of cooked meat (pork/beef/fatty fish/chicken with the skin) and dark green veggies in your diet and you are all set. Just count your calories and make sure you are below 20-30 carbs per day. If you are unsure how many calories you need - use the Keto calculator. My Fitness Pal is also an amazing app. Use a kitchen counter to measure the weight of the food. Drink one broth per day and lots of water. You're set.

I'm 5 days into keto, feeling awesome and have lots of energy. Already lost 2kg, even though it is only water.
    I aint countin shit.

Took a few hours, but I'm not as hungry as I was without eating anything else.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    I've been on keto a couple of weeks now and here's what I've found:

- My energy dipped for a while along with my mood, but now I'm back to normal

- I am eating far, far less, my appetite has massively reduced, I'm barely eating 2/3 of what I used to in a day

- I am definitely losing weight, far more than I expected; I didn't have that much to lose, but it's going very quick

- I am drinking a ridiculous amount of water/coffee/tea; I don't want to drink sodas any more (I used to like cherry coke a lot... until last week)

- Sometimes I fancy some bread or something sweet, but if I drink water the desire passes; last few days, I have craved nothing, I feel full and satisfied all the time (sometimes I even skip dinner due to lack of appetite, my gf freaks out at me a bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I've never advocated for this diet, high fat/red meat intake + low amounts of fruits/vegetables is a recipe for cardiovascular disease, higher cancer risk and nutritional deficiencies.
    Except none of that is actually true (and low carb doesn't mean low vegetable).
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think this is quite possibly true, but it's not even that that turns me off to the diet. It's that it's outright stupid. We actually have people saying, "when I'm hungry, I just eat some butter or mayo". Why in the world is anyone doing that to themselves? Is it really that important to them that they avoid physical activity? Go for a damned run, lift some damned weights, and eat normal food in reasonable quantities - you'll be fine!

Deleted
    I think this is quite possibly true, but it's not even that that turns me off to the diet. It's that it's outright stupid. We actually have people saying, "when I'm hungry, I just eat some butter or mayo". Why in the world is anyone doing that to themselves? Is it really that important to them that they avoid physical activity? Go for a damned run, lift some damned weights, and eat normal food in reasonable quantities - you'll be fine!
    Butter/lard instead of vegetable oil, mayo for the salads. Tastes lovely, has huge amounts of fats and is really low on carbs. What else would you want?
    The only foods you are skipping on keto are the starchy foods and sugars: grains (yes, even whole grains), bread, cereal, beans, soda, pasta, potatoes, pizza crust, beer, cookies, bagels, lollipops, honey, tortilla chips, pretzels, popsicles, crackers, and everything in between. If you think about it - everything in this list is considered a junk food. You should avoid them anyway on any diet.
    Keto is closely similar to paleo (eating only food that was available in the cavemen era) and is much more healthier than vegetarianism and even worse - veganism.
    Please, instead of blabbering some random words with no background - do yourself a favour: stop embarrassing yourself, read a bit more about the thing you are arguing about and then, when you have learned your lesson, feel free to come back to the thread and talk something other than nonsense. Reddit's Keto FAQ is a fairly good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    What else would you want?
    Some rice, some potatoes, a banana, and a beer. You know, normal food. Then again, I run and bike a ton instead of hoping to exploit what's supposed to be a temporary state of glycogen deprivation.

If people want to talk themselves into a diet that it takes a cult-like fervor to talk oneself into enjoying, have at it, but the zealotry with which people promote this weird shit is really odd. I'm going to stick with eating more or less what I want, in moderation, and being active.

Deleted
    To be fair, I pretty much enjoy having steak, bacon, eggs and whatever else I want every single day. Potatoes, rice and bananas are real food? I would rather "starve" with a greasy bacon dripping fat, thanks.
    Nothing stops the ketoers from running and biking. But we don't do it for weight loss, we do it for cardiovascular health. While you have to exercise everyday just to burn that fat you got from these starchy foods, we're getting a steak with some veggies dripped in butter and staying naturally thin because our bodies are adapted to using fat rather than glucose as a fuel. Oh, and while you are jogging and biking, you are burning the hard built muscle tissue along with the fat just because the muscle tissue has higher priority than fat for energy. Think about it.
    There is no zealotry here, nor magic or broscience. Everything we do is scientifically proven. The cells in the body can use both glucose and ketone bodies for fuel, there is no emergency mode, this is merely a different fuel type. Nothing unnatural.
    You are the misinformed one just because you are taught that way. It is not your fault of course, it is the media blaming fat and cholesterol based on false science.

Take a look at these two videos, it might clarify some misplaced beliefs:

Last edited by mmoc3084e27e77; 2015-02-21 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Except none of that is actually true (and low carb doesn't mean low vegetable).
    Vegetables have carbs in them, yes even the low-carb ones such as kale and spinach. And you can google the rest for allll the studies yourself.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This sort of exaggeration is beneath you. And nobody, in this thread at least, is advocating avoiding physical activity. Come on now.

If people want to talk themselves into a diet that it takes a cult-like fervor to talk oneself into enjoying, have at it, but the zealotry with which people promote this weird shit is really odd. I'm going to stick with eating more or less what I want, in moderation, and being active.
    I'm eating a bowl of bacon and mixed veg with a light soy sauce coating. Nothing difficult about enjoying this. Hell, it's filling enough that I'll probably have to put some away for a third trip later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.