Page 1 of 58
... LastLast

Nobel Prize Scientist TIM HUNT fired!

So this guy made a sexist joke a week ago (?) at a female scientist empowerment conference in Korea about women crying when whenever critisied and that they are more concerned with falling in love with other scientists rather than the science.

He was fired from his main post at the University College London but he and his wife say they were 'hung out to dry' by the lynch mob after news of his joke went viral on twitter.

Read here: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...w-mary-collins

I think this is good news no one should be above criticism even a Nobel laureate he made a complete mockery of women and his university and he deserved to be fired. He's extremely privileged as a white male and I think his joke + reaction to his sacking show him as a disconnected and ignorant person.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read up 'til you said ''white male'', then I just stopped giving a damn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Robster View Post
    I read up 'til you said ''white male'', then I just stopped giving a damn.
    To be fair that means you read pretty much all of it...

White males are the devil!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what he actually said, in case anyone wanted the truth rather than an extremely subjective take on it from the OP.

"Let me tell you about my trouble with girls … three things happen when they are in the lab … You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticise them, they cry."
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    So he was fired over a joke? This is what happens when people bitch and moan enough about being "offended'. We're turning into a society that has to censor most everything to avoid "hurt feels".

He claimed it was a joke afterwards, but it was, at best, an incredibly inappropriate, dead-pan one. One does need to take into account the audience, and technically only his wife has defended the "joke".

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope your OP is a joke. Dear lord.

He made a joke that got taken completely out of context and blown out of proportion which lead to him losing his job and the university losing a very important contributor.

It's like those Twitter cliques have perfected the recipe to ruining lives for their own validation.

Really though. You can think what you want about the joke - but it's not worth his job. Besides, how does working your ass off for decades and greatly contributing to his field make him "incredibly privileged"?
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-06-14 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    So this guy made a sexist joke a week ago (?) at a female scientist empowerment conference in Korea about women crying when whenever critisied and that they are more concerned with falling in love with other scientists rather than the science.

He was fired from his main post at the University College London but he and his wife say they were 'hung out to dry' by the lynch mob after news of his joke went viral on twitter.

Read here: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...w-mary-collins

I think this is good news no one should be above criticism even a Nobel laureate he made a complete mockery of women and his university and he deserved to be fired. He's extremely privileged as a white male and I think his joke + reaction to his sacking show him as a disconnected and ignorant person.
    What's his ethnicity got to do with fuck all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where does it say he was fired in the article you linked?

15+ Year Old Account
    How about all those little princesses that got hurt by this joke go and jump down from a cliff.

Seriously, these "feminist" idiots are crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    He's one of the greatest minds of our time, he won't have any trouble finding a new university to fund his research. The real problem is the "female scientist empowerment conference". The science they do should "empower" them. Not some bullshit conference. Do you think Marie Curie's work can be credited to female empowerment conferences?

Also it doesn't matter if he's "diconnected and ignorant". He has contributed majorly to science in his field. Science needs him more than he needs science.

"He's extremely privileged as a white male" His only privilege is that he's incredibly smart. Smarter than anyone using words as "extremely privileged" as a serious argument can ever hope to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    This is what he actually said, in case anyone wanted the truth rather than an extremely subjective take on it from the OP.

"Let me tell you about my trouble with girls … three things happen when they are in the lab … You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticise them, they cry."
    Such outrageous sexism >.>

I wonder what percentage of the people bitching about this are actually women scientists or millennials tumblrinos like OP

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Its important to point out that its a white male when stuff like this happens.

Everything. Apperently his white male privalege doesn't carry over to making jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I hope your OP is a joke. Dear lord.

He made a joke that got taken completely out of context and blown out of proportion which lead to him losing his job and the university losing a very important contributor.

It's like those Twitter cliques have perfected the recipe to ruining lives for their own validation.

Really though. You can think what you want about the joke - but it's not worth his job. Besides, how does working your ass off for decades and greatly contributing to his field make him "incredibly privileged"?
    If my company sent me to a conference and I made an ignorant remark criticising the group of people that the conference was made for then I wouldn't be surprised to get fired. This is all that's happened here. He's been fired from his job because he has embarrassed his employers.

He still has the nobel prize get over it. He shouldn't be above repercussion because of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    If my company sent me to a conference and I made an ignorant remark criticising the group of people that the conference was made for then I wouldn't be surprised to get fired. This is all that's happened here. He's been fired from his job because he has embarrassed his employers.

He still has the nobel prize get over it. He shouldn't be above repercussion because of it.
    Nobody should be fired from any job due to some little joke.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad thought policing is far more important to people than scientific progress...
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

I think it's a pertinent point to mention his ethnicity because being white gives him a whole lot of privilege that many people lack and it demonstrates his ignorance and insensitivity to gender issues.

I don't see why you're upset that I mentioned he's white. You appear to have taken it as an attack on all white men.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryttge View Post
    He's one of the greatest minds of our time, he won't have any trouble finding a new university to fund his research. The real problem is the "female scientist empowerment conference". The science they do should "empower" them. Not some bullshit conference. Do you think Marie Curie's work can be credited to female empowerment conferences?

Also it doesn't matter if he's "diconnected and ignorant". He has contributed majorly to science in his field. Science needs him more than he needs science.

"He's extremely privileged as a white male" His only privilege is that he's incredibly smart. Smarter than anyone using words as "extremely privileged" as a serious argument can ever hope to be.
    Oh bull shit he's a old, failing man his best years are behind him. His nobel prize was awarded 15 years ago for work done in the two decades prior to that. The notion that 'science has been deprived of his future discoveries' is patent nonsense and a hyperbole that only weakens the argument: dude's 73 and has an honorary professorship.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-06-16 at 02:30 PM.

I think it's a pertinent point to mention his ethnicity because being white gives him a whole lot of privilege that many people lack
    He got fired over a joke. What privalege?