Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

[Megathread] NieR: Automata

Trailer looked great but all trailers do cant wait to see more, oh yea anyone see that panty shot? More information to come later on

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...platinum-games

Announced at Square Enix's E3 2015 press conference, this new Nier title is being directed by Taro Yoko, who helmed the original Nier as well as Drakengard. The game is being produced by Platinum's Atsushi Inaba and Square's Yosuke Saito, also in addition to bringing on Platinum Games, developers revealed that the original composer for Nier, Keiichi Okabe, and FInal Fantasy XII and Bravely Default designer Akihiko Yoshida, are both working on the new Nier project.

This upcoming Nier title was only announced for PS4, suggesting that it will be an exclusive. But perhaps it will come to other platforms later.

Inaba clarified that NieR New Project (working title) won't strictly be an action game, the way Platinum transformed Metal Gear into a hack-and-slash affair in Revengeance. We reckon it will be more along the lines of Okami, made by a lot of Platinum folks back when they were at Clover.

Last edited by Hellravager; 2015-06-17 at 05:31 AM.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Holy fuck! Of all the crazy E3 shit this year this is still the biggest surprise for me! NieR is a true classic, but one I never expected to get a sequel.

Likewise, but it's a very pleasant and a very welcome surprise.

Reminds me I have yet to finish the first one.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

That team credits list is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    A NieR game that plays and feels more like Okami? Sign me the fuck up. For some reason the first game at points felt like Ocarina of Time to me, so if they further want to add to that feeling then I am all aboard. Platinum makes everything better (unless its a licensed game).

10+ Year Old Account
    I want it. Probably completely weird as hell too still.

10+ Year Old Account
    More information flowing in

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new.../1100-6428262/

The two original character designs were geared towards different markets, based on feedback from Square Enix's North American and European counterparts. The new Nier will not take this dual-release approach, as the developers believe the time has passed for treating the western and Japanese markets so differently.

Taro did explain that the new Nier would feature three playable characters, two of which we have seen already; the white-haired girl who featured prominently in the trailer, and a small boy shown in a brief trailer shot standing on top of a building. The final character has yet to be revealed.

"For this new Nier, we kept an action RPG mindset and thought, this time we want to hit out a great, high-level JRPG, so we're going to stick to one character design," Saito added.

"Platinum is great at creating action games, and we've asked them to make things a little more simplified, slightly. At first I thought it was going to be a battle-heavy action game, but luckily for us, a lot of Platinum Games' staff members really respect Nier and took it to heart, and understand the project.

"We're really fortunate in that they essentially took the battle system and the game design of the original Nier and added Platinum Games-type elements on top of it to make this hybrid if you will. It's not like it's a completely new game, they really have respect for the previous game."

The new Nier currently doesn't have a release date, though Saito suggested that it may be PlayStation 4 only.

"Please play on PlayStation 4," he said in response to a question about what Xbox players can expect.

Taro and Saito explained that the new Nier project is more focused on creating an original story within the game world, and won't follow the narrative of the original. However, we can expect several Nier characters to make cameos. There will be these kind of connections, but Taro emphasized that newcomers won't feel alienated if they come to the new game without playing the original. Returning players, however, will enjoy a lot of nods and easter eggs from its predecessor.

Taro and Saito explained that the new Nier project is more focused on creating an original story within the game world, and won't follow the narrative of the original. However, we can expect several Nier characters to make cameos. There will be these kind of connections, but Taro emphasized that newcomers won't feel alienated if they come to the new game without playing the original. Returning players, however, will enjoy a lot of nods and easter eggs from its predecessor.

Another feature that made Nier unique was how it treated player choice at the end of it the game and incentivized repeat playthroughs. There are five possible endings in Nier, all of which encourage you to go back into the game and try your hand at saving things again.

"We are going to maintain that multiple playthrough idea for the new project, but in terms of the save file deletion thing, we probably won't do it, since we did it in the original one and want to do new things," Taro explained. "But we will have multiple playthroughs involved. But you know... we're still in early phases of development. Maybe we will delete you save files."

The original Nier's level design was a mash of different genres; Players spent most of the time controlling Nier as you would in a typical third-person action game, but for select fights, the camera would swing up to a top-down perspective. On other occasions, it would switch to a side-on platformer, with some sequences more closely following conventions of shoot-em-up. This worked for some players, but not all, but the constant switching ensured that gameplay rarely got stale. The new game likely won't follow this pattern, however.

The new Nier will, however, retain the tone of the original game and the Drakengard series. It will keep its mature subject matter and approach to dialogue and presentation, not shying away from hyper-violence and sexualization.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I want it. Probably completely weird as hell too still.
    Yea they said its staying weird but with platinum this time
    Last edited by Hellravager; 2015-06-17 at 05:13 AM.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Please play on PlayStation 4," he said in response to a question about what Xbox players can expect.

HAHAHA what a thug dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

HAHAHA what a thug dude.
    That was pretty blunt. Rip dreams.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

HAHAHA what a thug dude.
    Japan devs still have the old school way of thinking, japan product for only japan, japanese companies always try to support each other, if they had a choice and money was not a issue, no japanese game will ever see a release outside of a japanese branded console.

Which is why so many of japanese businesses are losing money and the country as a whole, its the 1 first world nation that is still in the past.

Before anyone says, sony and nintendo though sitting on money right now, are actually been losing money every year.

SE only has one developer who has a proper head on his shoulders and thats Yoshi P in FF14.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Japan devs still have the old school way of thinking, japan product for only japan, japanese companies always try to support each other, if they had a choice and money was not a issue, no japanese game will ever see a release outside of a japanese branded console.

Which is why so many of japanese businesses are losing money and the country as a whole, its the 1 first world nation that is still in the past.

Before anyone says, sony and nintendo though sitting on money right now, are actually been losing money every year.

SE only has one developer who has a proper head on his shoulders and thats Yoshi P in FF14.
    Someones an xbot fan anyway japanese people like the ps4 because of the ps3 which had major success in japan and xbox 360 never ever took off at all hell i think it only sold 10k copies?

Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    Holy fuck! Of all the crazy E3 shit this year this is still the biggest surprise for me! NieR is a true classic, but one I never expected to get a sequel.
    Seriously, it was one of those games that I absolutely loved, but realized everyone hated and as such thought nothing would come of it much like Too Human. /hypetrain

10+ Year Old Account
    More info

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17...he-first-game/

Square Enix revealed during their E3 2015 press conference that they’re working on a new Nier game with Taro Yoko as the director and PlatinumGames. Taro Yoko had more to share in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Hachima]

In the interview, Famitsu asks the director if the new Nier game is connected to the world of the previous game.

“The setting is connected, but it doesn’t mean that it is connected story-wise,” says Yoko. “The game takes place in the future from the first game, so it’ll be okay to start playing with this title. Actually, those who played the previous game might play this one and get confused thinking it’s a sequel.”

Next, Famitsu asks whether we’ll see characters from the previous Nier.

“Not everyone will make an appearance, but some of them will,” he responds. “However, they won’t appear as the main characters.”

Finally, they ask what the game’s CERO rating will be.

“The previous game was made with a B or C rating (ages 12 and up for B, 15 and up C) in mind, but it ended up being a D rating (ages 17 and up),” says Yoko. “We’re developing this one with hope of making all ages, but who knows.”

The report also adds that the new Nier game’s action will be focused around fighting with weapons, but there will also be some shooting elements that may be familiar to fans.

Similar to the previous Nier game, there will be some sort of New Game+ elements, but it will be different from what we had in Nier. There will also be weapon stories as seen in the Drakengard series.

The new Nier title is in development for PlayStation 4, and is currently 10% complete.

I'm a little bummed, I really enjoyed Nier not just because of its environment but because you played as a 40ish year old male fighting to save his daughter. It was all incredibly emotional and set itself from the typical japanese based game where you play as a child or a teen which seems to be a thing with this new nier =\

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Someones an xbot fan anyway japanese people like the ps4 because of the ps3 which had major success in japan and xbox 360 never ever took off at all hell i think it only sold 10k copies?
    I am actually a PC fanboy actually, don't even like any of the consoles, but I see where your fanboy lies, also, all of that is pretty much fact, Japan has always made things for Japan and a lot of Japanese corporations are losing a lot of money each year, the whole country is in decline, you would want to do research on this, google will help .

Theres a reason for there loss and its how they are selling things, does not matter if the PS4 is doing well, sony as a company is losing money and even nintendo is.

The more they keep like this, the more they are digging a bigger grave, the devs extreme patriotism for their country of origin products are the death of them and they really need to get past this.

Yoshi P who runs FF14 pretty much caters to the global audience and pretty much on his own brought SE out of the RED, one man vision and how he delivered it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am actually a PC fanboy actually, don't even like any of the consoles, but I see where your fanboy lies, also, all of that is pretty much fact, Japan has always made things for Japan and a lot of Japanese corporations are losing a lot of money each year, the whole country is in decline, you would want to do research on this, google will help .

Theres a reason for there loss and its how they are selling things, does not matter if the PS4 is doing well, sony as a company is losing money and even nintendo is.

The more they keep like this, the more they are digging a bigger grave, the devs extreme patriotism for their country of origin products are the death of them and they really need to get past this.

Yoshi P who runs FF14 pretty much caters to the global audience and pretty much on his own brought SE out of the RED, one man vision and how he delivered it.
    If you want to go there even Microsoft is losing money 200B to be exact

Deleted
    http://www.microsoft.com/investor/Ea...4/default.aspx

MS as a company is profiting, what are you smoking?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/1...-more-expected

- - - Updated - - -

heck even

http://www.industryweek.com/supply-chain/sony-revises-forecast-big-losses-2015

- - - Updated - - -

more recent MS stuff
    http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY15/Q3/default.aspx

10+ Year Old Account
    Your linking stuff thats old + this has nothing to do with NieR so make your own thread about it or stop talking about it here

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Your linking stuff thats old + this has nothing to do with NieR so make your own thread about it or stop talking about it here
    Has more recent stuff, also nice change of tone once you got to read stuff ye?

Also the conversation led to that from a relevant quote made by one of the devs, 'please play on PS4' and how that is a bad move for them to say and how it reflects their business.

People want to see a positive spin for all of these games, the way the developers are delivering these games are also relevant to the topic when the developers says stuff like this.