Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I refund CS: GO?

So I bought CS: GO because I liked CS 1.6 and Source, but playing it for one evening and getting a rank up I got a box... to open that box i need to buy a $2.49 key... is it going to be like this the whole time or is there free stuff I can earn? if its going to be micro transactions just so I can spray pain my gun I think I'll try and get a refund

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBull300 View Post
    So I bought CS: GO because I liked CS 1.6 and Source, but playing it for one evening and getting a rank up I got a box... to open that box i need to buy a $2.49 key... is it going to be like this the whole time or is there free stuff I can earn? if its going to be micro transactions just so I can spray pain my gun I think I'll try and get a refund

Thanks
    It is purely cosmetic and it WILL keep happening fairly frequently. Your choice if you wish to put up with. I dont mind at least as it doesnt impact gamepaly. (and chest can sell for a few cents on the steam market, it adds up for a key every once in a while)

Edit: Sometimes you will receive some free skins as well, though they mostly are pretty bad looking compared to the good chest drops
    Last edited by Nelavar; 2015-08-15 at 03:38 PM.

Deleted
    I personally don't recommend opening the cases. It's more of a gambling experience than anything. You'll most likely get a skin that's worth like 30 cents, but there's a very small chance that you'll get something worth hundreds of dollars.

Just sell the cases away in the market place and buy something else with the money. There are plenty of decent looking skins available for a very affordable price. I'm talking about like 5 to 10 cents here.

You will also have weapon skins dropping randomly without having to open a case, but often the cases are more valuable than the free weapon drops. This is especially true when a new type of a case is released. At the start the new cases are usually going for around 2$ on the market place.

It is free stuff you can potentially sell, not sure why this warrants a refund really. They are cosmetic things.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cases are only for weapon skins. They are purely cosmetic. I've been playing for a few years now and have never bothered to open a single case.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBull300 View Post

Thanks
    so somthing valve did because they saw the chance for more cash, is they turned the previously entirely free market of skins and models for guns players ect into the skin market where they can take a cut and make heaps of cash off of somthing we did in source cz and 1.6 for free. They saw how popular it was and decided to get into it to make a buck. On top of this it only effects the skins of the valve default models which anyone whos played cs before knows they are ass fucking terrible.

Instead of actually giving us a new cs they just polished css a little and passed off what should have been a TU as a new game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    The cases are only for weapon skins. They are purely cosmetic. I've been playing for a few years now and have never bothered to open a single case.
    This.
    You can even sell the cases and earn money out of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Instead of actually giving us a new cs they just polished css a little and passed off what should have been a TU as a new game.
    That's because that is what it is. CS:GO was mainly just to be a port from CS:S over to the consoles, but further down the line Valve decided to release it for PC aswell.
    Also, why wouldnt you make a buck and at the same time give people the possibility of making a hobby/earning a decent amount of money on side?

10+ Year Old Account
    so somthing valve did because they saw the chance for more cash, is they turned the previously entirely free market of skins and models for guns players ect into the skin market where they can take a cut and make heaps of cash off of somthing we did in source cz and 1.6 for free. They saw how popular it was and decided to get into it to make a buck. On top of this it only effects the skins of the valve default models which anyone whos played cs before knows they are ass fucking terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    That's because that is what it is. CS:GO was mainly just to be a port from CS:S over to the consoles, but further down the line Valve decided to release it for PC aswell.
    Also, why wouldnt you make a buck and at the same time give people the possibility of making a hobby/earning a decent amount of money on side?
    wat.
    You do realize that CS:S and CS:GO are so vastly different in flow and gameplay that it's like comparing CS 1.2 to CoD?
    CS:S and CS:GO literally have nothing in common and is not similar in any way. I would know, I've got over 4k hours in Source and 1.8k hours in CS:GO thus far.

I know tons of people from the css days of skinning and modeling and animating that got picked up by major studios and a few by valve themselves. Valve is just greedy as fuck and cant comprehend somthing as popular as skins and not making a buck off of it.

- - - Updated - - -

wat.
    You do realize that CS:S and CS:GO are so vastly different in flow and gameplay that it's like comparing CS 1.2 to CoD?
    CS:S and CS:GO literally have nothing in common and is not similar in any way. I would know, I've got over 4k hours in Source and 1.8k hours in CS:GO thus far.
    Csgo is to css what CZ was to 1.6

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    wat.
    It still dosn't change the fact that Hidden Path was left in charge of porting CS:S over to the consoles, and that's how we got CS:GO. If you peaked at something like early alpha of CS:GO and compared it to CS:S, then the gameplay is actually very much alike, with CS:GO being way way WAY more consolized

10+ Year Old Account
    Csgo is to css what CZ was to 1.6
    Not even close.
    Really.

It still dosn't change the fact that Hidden Path was left in charge of porting CS:S over to the consoles, and that's how we got CS:GO. If you peaked at something like early alpha of CS:GO and compared it to CS:S, then the gameplay is actually very much alike, with CS:GO being way way WAY more consolized
    The thing is, it's not alpha anymore if you have not noticed. The games are VASTLY different.

Deleted
    Not even close.
    Really.

The thing is, it's not alpha anymore if you have not noticed. The games are VASTLY different.
    Yeah, after 4 years

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, after 4 years
    No, after late Beta it became vastly different.
    You know how I know that?
    Because I played the Beta.

I don't care if you dislike it, just stop trying to post deliberately false claims.

Boxes are random. You get drops every 2 levels. You can sell your boxes and items you don't want on the Steam marketplace and use the money to buy other things, or you can place bets.

If there ever was a valid reason to refund CSGO it's hackers. Ugh.

No, after late Beta it became vastly different.
    You know how I know that?
    Because I played the Beta.

I don't care if you dislike it, just stop trying to post deliberately false claims.
    What are you talking about, Its almos the same fucking game. Its still on the same engine, it uses barely polished versions of the same models. Hitbox's and some other settings were barely edited, it was made more esports friendly and then valved took a shit on the modeling and skinning community to make a buck. If this was truely a new game it would be a new god damn engine rather than using the same fucking one for 11 years now. Iv been with CS since before steam was a thing, so i new full well how the game is.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you talking about, Its almos the same fucking game. Its still on the same engine, it uses barely polished versions of the same models. Hitbox's and some other settings were barely edited, it was made more esports friendly and then valved took a shit on the modeling and skinning community to make a buck. If this was truely a new game it would be a new god damn engine rather than using the same fucking one for 11 years now. Iv been with CS since before steam was a thing, so i new full well how the game is.
    You know you can still use custom skins and models, right?

Cases are optional, but the money spent on keys is used as prices for tournaments which in turn give's us entertainment. Skins are very popular and majority is happy about it. Infact because of the skins CS:GO exploded in popularity.
    Skin's won't make you better, I don't use skins, I use them to bet with and I've turned it into enough of a profit for me to pay for all my steam gaming needs every month.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    You know you can still use custom skins and models, right?
    Doesnt matter, the community is fractured now since the skins monitization. since half of the people are just rushing to create new skins for valves piece of shit models and not actual good ones made by other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    CS:GO is closer to CS 1.6 than any other iteration of CS...it's not really similar to CS:S at all, nor CZ.