Well speaking of them wakens the beast...a little bit. A new 'dev blog' is out. What you guys think?

"Look mommy, we can play with world-building tools! That makes us game developers for really reals!"

That's all the impression I get from it. They're no more game developers than a kid playing with Legos is a building contractor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Well speaking of them wakens the beast...a little bit. A new 'dev blog' is out. What you guys think?
    Rather not give them any traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
    Rather not give them any traffic.
    The TL;DR of the blog:

They talk about a bunch of useless stuff and tell us how great the flora and fauna are going to be.

I've met "developers" like the guys working on TOA and they're absolutely useless at executing at the end of the day, they'll spend months working on hit boxes, making the UI "pretty", and the game will come out looking terrible.

There is literally nothing unique TOA is going to bring to the rust style game industry and they really think people will line up to buy it? I'm guessing they get MAYBE 50 sales when it "launches", of course Brax and Co will never admit defeat and they'll just sucker more people into giving them money so they can realize a dream that hasn't been destroyed but that never existed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Isn't the UI like of the last things people usually do?
    I don't know about that... What I do know is that they've been working on the UI for over a few weeks by now :P

Generally yes, though if they are trying to get something playable (IDK if that's the plan or not) out to backers they will need at least some sort of rudimentary UI with which they can play the game.

are they freaking kidding.. they actually are talking about raycasting? you do this a million times per game, they are set up on everything.. and they are just figuring out how to use it.

oh.. and they can move UI? you mean like exactly what Unity teaches in a 5 minute video

ohh.. they are using a splat map... which is basically the default way to add textures to terrain in unity. amazing stuff there... oh..and they can blend two textures together?? you mean exactly what unity does when you paint terrains on the map.

they are going to ´chunk out´ the terrians and only show them when appropriate? wait.. you mean the way Unity does by default? Wow, next they will be bragging about trees converting to billboards ( also something the engine does for you).

seriously... he wrote his paragraph about raycasting.... Not only have these guys never worked on a game before, they haven´t even bothered to watch the Unity tutorials... I am beginning to understand why they spent a year and could not figure out how to cast ´a spell´..

this game is never coming out. Teddy is probably facepalming from reading that blog. " hello, this is my first month with Unity". These guys just need to shut up and stop embarrassing themselves. raycasting, splatmaps..moveable UIs.. They are geniuses for thinking of all this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

The graphics for the UI ( for us) are one of the last things you do because they are one of the things that are always going to be changing until the last minute.. but it takes 2 minutes to throw up a default UI and get things working fine. The paperdoll thingie they talked about two weeks ago is a 5 min job. You just set up a second camera in front of the camera and turn off all the layers except the player on that camera, then render it into a UI window... meh, maybe 10 minutes to get the size correct. I use the term milestone a lot.. but this is just not something that you would consider a milestone in development or even anything worth mentioning..

it is like Southpark where they were handing out 8th place ribbons...

I was browsing Unity forums for funsies (didn't even know they existed until this thread so thanks) and I saw this: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/pai...others.348110/. It reminded me of ToA because of how they act professional but have made complete shit.

I love seeing people say things like "you MUST have a degree in your field" "you MUST have at least two published games" and then you read further in and it says "If you're here to make a paycheck, great! We have paid positions! If that's all you're interested in, this is NOT the job for you." I don't think I need to explain how ridiculous it is to ask for those requirements and then make a statement like that.

So then you're like cool man, they sound professional they must have a legit thing going on. They do say "We are an indie developer that is rising fast" after all, so let's check out their game that's causing them to rise fast! http://store.steampowered.com/app/384920/. Now look at that, look at the reviews and try to tell me that's worth someone with a degree and two published games.

The people supporting this are also eerily similar to ToA fans:

"Would I recommend this game? Yes, I would! However,not based on gameplay (Because I can not get into the game, but will update this part when I can) but on the pure fact that THEY ARE TRYING THEIR BEST TO MAKE THIS GAME SUCCEED! Hell, I WISH I THOUGHT OF THEIR IDEA!"

I saw this game before they got green-lit on steam in yet another Unity thread and I wish I could find the old steam comments so I could link them here. It was a bunch of negative comments talking about how these devs are spamming forums everywhere to get green-lit and the devs themselves complaining about how their programmer screwed them over and did shitty work (sound familiar?).
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Yeah, gotta love the rabid fan support. They spent HOURS talking to people about problemz, guiz!

Sorry, it's not about being in love with concepts and ideas. It's about whether or not this product is worth your money. And if it's in a buggy, unplayable state, people who have paid for it are entitled to TELL OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT THAT.

Deleted
    God damn that game looks absolutely shit.

Just a plain old landscape where even minecraft looks better. Every single tree is exactly the same. There is NOTHING in the entire world. It's just the same as ToA's demo island, there's nothing there!

Their trailer for the game is just a slideshow of screenshots, lol.

You can also choose playing as a Homo Sapiens or a Neanderthaler. Yes.

Price is the most offensive, nearly 20 Euros. There's better and more known games with a price cheaper than that like Binding of Isaac. Outrageous, lol.

New crowdfunding site lets backers share in eventual game profits

Expecting a ToA announcement in 3...2...1...

Joking aside:
    "That kind of revenue sharing comes with some significant strings for the time being; only Accredited Investors with at least $1 million in net assets can join in, and they have to invest at least $1,000. But Fig plans to open the investment plan up to regular gamers in the next few months, pursuant to a 2012 law that lowered the regulatory burden for everyday people to get into such markets."

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    New crowdfunding site lets backers share in eventual game profits

Expecting a ToA announcement in 3...2...1...

Joking aside:
    "That kind of revenue sharing comes with some significant strings for the time being; only Accredited Investors with at least $1 million in net assets can join in, and they have to invest at least $1,000. But Fig plans to open the investment plan up to regular gamers in the next few months, pursuant to a 2012 law that lowered the regulatory burden for everyday people to get into such markets."
    Aww, I wanted to see 30 y/o basement dwellers cry because their parents won't raise their allowance.

I haven't been following this thread enough for the past while to know if this has been referenced, and I lack the time now to go back through. Either way, I know this doesn't refer to FC, but aren't they in Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunaka View Post
    I haven't been following this thread enough for the past while to know if this has been referenced, and I lack the time now to go back through. Either way, I know this doesn't refer to FC, but aren't they in Washington?
    Yeah, the actual company involved was from Oregan, but the Attorney General filed that paperwork to get pack some of the money for Washington residents. He was protecting Washington Residents. ToA never even got close to getting funded through kickstarter, and it would probably take someone from Washington who lost money in their cash-shop to file a complaint with him until he looked into it. But other people could complain to their AG if they felt cheated..

you know.. those dance moves and eye patches they sold in their store....

- - - Updated - - -

I am still trying to figure out what ToA is doing with their terrain. From what it looks like, they are just creating the landmass....again.... which is exactly what they already had done for demo island. Hey guys, we are making significiant progress in replacing what we pay $67k to waste last year.

Also, notice how he casually mentions that by doing it by hand, they can add rivers and caves.. and you know.. actually build a world.. but one of their big selling points is that it will be procedurally generated.. with none of that stuff... but they will figure that part out ´ later´. so in all, they aren´t doing anything but cherry pickign the really easy stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

or it is possible that the new programmers do not know what was finished for demo island, and so the three stoogies are acting like they are doing work now, when it is actually stuff that was finished for the demo. Just not sure the reason for building a second demo island.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    Lol first thing I saw when I scrolled down is that stupid armored Knight and a weak as shit looking inventory system. 5 bucks says that is stuff from the old demo isle. Now to read this post they put up haha

- - - Updated - - -

Basically what I got from that was: Blah blah blah pointless bs mechanics that we prolly can't implement because we're idiots. Also here is a single screen shot. Woah. Heh though the slow death the forums are having over there amuse me greatly. Some of their important 'News' threads have like sub 400 views and a handful of posts. Wow what a shocker, the community is mostly gone. Good luck ToA!

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Just not sure the reason for building a second demo island.....
    My guess is they broke something fiddling around with it, given we're talking about the same people who couldn't even turn the server on without Teddy's help.

Oh look, more toilet paper dev notes with zero game to back it up.

'But it's totally for realz, AMG teh skreenshotz guiz!'

Yeah, just like all the other 'screenshots' we've been shown over the last fifteen years...

On a sidenote, are those dorks from Greedmonger still trying to do anything anymore, has anyone bothered trying to find out? I know GM itself went belly-up, just wonder if they have some other aborted gooney-bird scheme they're trying to hatch.

Well for those ToA fans out there....

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...type-of-MMORPG
    Oh yeah I saw that thread and commented in it lol. Dear god that game sounds fucking awful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh yeah I saw that thread and commented in it lol. Dear god that game sounds fucking awful.
    What's up with the shameless advertising of these games though? OMG GAIZ, CHECK OUT DIZ GAME I FOUND! Just say straight away you're working on this game... Nothing wrong with some advertising tbh, atleast, when you're one of the people working on it.

What's up with the shameless advertising of these games though? OMG GAIZ, CHECK OUT DIZ GAME I FOUND! Just say straight away you're working on this game... Nothing wrong with some advertising tbh, atleast, when you're one of the people working on it.
    Yeah I reported the thread as a blatent advertisement but it was left alone, not like it matters, they could give away free money with that shit game and people would still run.