Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    3 zones doesn't scream "a lot of content" to me, sorry. Maybe they're huge zones and will be quite entertaining, but the initial description sounds more like Dry Top round 2. I went ahead and preordered, but I'm not as excited about it as I was before the huge lull.
    I agree. I am not overwhelmed by the amount of content so far.

3 zones doesn't scream "a lot of content" to me, sorry. Maybe they're huge zones and will be quite entertaining, but the initial description sounds more like Dry Top round 2. I went ahead and preordered, but I'm not as excited about it as I was before the huge lull.
    It is actually 4 new zones with most of them having 3 "biomes" meaning that each of those maps has 3 separate maps on top of each other. With that and the usual amount of post release content getting pushed out that ANet is known for, that is more than enough content for a $50 game.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    It is actually 4 new zones with most of them having 3 "biomes" meaning that each of those maps has 3 separate maps on top of each other. With that and the usual amount of post release content getting pushed out that ANet is known for, that is more than enough content for a $50 game.
    wrong, we don't know if an other map than Verdant Brink has 3 biomes, likely not. As long as we get a depth on any of the new maps similar to Drytop it will be fun. Don't forget, Raids aren't counted as seperate maps, it will be replayable content for some folks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    And how many maps did they have out at release ($60)? I am one of the people who would have loved to see more zones being added. I know that they have added content after release but how much of that content has been new zones to explore?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    And how many maps did they have out at release ($60)? I am one of the people who would have loved to see more zones being added. I know that they have added content after release but how much of that content has been new zones to explore?
    more maps =/= better content. It's about the quality of the map. Some of the older zones feel quite empty contentwise. There are quite a few events happening but they trigger less frequently than at release when more players were in those maps. The new zones have tons of things going on. Take Silverwastes for example: a WvW-like metaeventchain, a farming-run experience (chestruns), a pacman-like underground cave chasing reward-chests, your story-missions, a huge jumping puzzle where part of it happens right above the other players doing events, a scavenger hunt for hidden coins and more. No classic map can compete with this depth and replayability.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    wrong, we don't know if an other map than Verdant Brink has 3 biomes, likely not. As long as we get a depth on any of the new maps similar to Drytop it will be fun. Don't forget, Raids aren't counted as seperate maps, it will be replayable content for some folks as well.
    I assume they'll be like Dry Top but bigger, which is good enough for events. The issue with Silverwastes/ Dry Top is they're both (and the intro for Hearts is billed the same) very big event driven group things that just don't have much to do other than fight and clear inventory. The core game had a nicely fleshed out world to explore, and it'll be a shame if HoT is basically just an endgame-daily zone with no real depth. We'll see though.

- - - Updated - - -

a pacman-like underground cave chasing reward-chests,
    The Lab was neat, though I do wish they had something different to the loot rather than just chests of normal gear.
    your story-missions,
    I really hope they push the story more, rather than aiming for some "challenge" in Season3, adding irritating bosses isn't really a fun story experience for me.

a huge jumping puzzle where part of it happens right above the other players doing events,
    Another example (along with the LA one) of a "bigger is better!" change, the addition of more "checkpoint" puzzles.

a scavenger hunt for hidden coins and more.
    The problem with the coins was missing 1. No way to know which one, and there were enough issues that I just didn't bother. The hatchling thing in LA would have been more to my liking, except the timing was bad.
    No classic map can compete with this depth and replayability.
    The classic maps really felt more alive and worthwhile though. Running along while stuff happened occasionally, rather than a non-stop warfront with stupid plant creatures designed to kill you through irritation. There's just not a lot TO Silverwastes/ Dry Top. They're cool for what they are, but so very limited.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

more maps =/= better content.
    There is no design basis for this belief. It is entirely personal whether one views a variety of maps as more worthwhile content over fewer maps with denser content. The latter of which can actually be a net loss of personally engaging content as well.

There's just not a lot TO Silverwastes/ Dry Top. They're cool for what they are, but so very limited.
    let's agree to disagree then. I just named a few things you can do in that map, the activity have different pacing and if you like how it's implemented or not doesn't make it nonexistent. The jumping puzzle might be too big for some (I like the thought behind it: there are several reward chests along the way, you can stop whenever you like; only if you get to the end of it you get ALL the rewards) but it's still there for people to explore.

(I agree with you on the point that the karka-hunt is better designed than the coin hunt, since you get hints. Lately we saw a picture of an achievement-window for the beta-event which has a new structure: some kind of list. Someone asked a dev if this will become regular for HoT and if they would include dungeon-paths in this new type of achievement-list. They said yes. Maybe the coins will get the karka-like treatment as well, one can hope).

let's agree to disagree then. I just named a few things you can do in that map, the activity have different pacing and if you like how it's implemented or not doesn't make it nonexistent.
    No, I do say it's there, plenty of stuff is there, but it's all very focused as part of a large battle, rather than a living world.

The jumping puzzle might be too big for some (I like the thought behind it: there are several reward chests along the way, you can stop whenever you like; only if you get to the end of it you get ALL the rewards) but it's still there for people to explore.
    There is a place for such puzzles, I just don't want to see these large puzzles take over the future of puzzles. I'd prefer something more like Southsun where they introduced two, one easy one hard, that's all. Since that, we've gotten the 3 piece Aether puzzle, the Dry Top thing which was pretty unforgiving in the falls=deaths, Silverwastes and new Lions Arch which are both long multi-part things.

(I agree with you on the point that the karka-hunt is better designed than the coin hunt, since you get hints. Lately we saw a picture of an achievement-window for the beta-event which has a new structure: some kind of list. Someone asked a dev if this will become regular for HoT and if they would include dungeon-paths in this new type of achievement-list. They said yes. Maybe the coins will get the karka-like treatment as well, one can hope).
    Even if they just had a "1st, 2nd, 3rd" designation without hints, at least it would let me see. Also, if the coins remained but were visibly already used, so I could tell if there was some glitch that wasn't showing me the coin.

it seems there is no teaser today, but don't worry: the new HoT-site spoilers the Druid specialization already:

I am most excited for the elite specializations and pvp stuff.

Hm...

Yes Karizee (or Fencers, which ever one leaps to defend first); we know that it's supposed to utilize vertical space. Even if we go under the premise that it'll effectively be three times larger for each of the levels (Which we know isn't true, more likely twice as large), that's still $50 for a map...

"Everything about the open maps in Heart of Thorns seems designed to confuse, not least how much of them there really is. We know for certain that there are just four open-world, explorable maps. We also know that all of them are tri-partite - "Roots", "Floor" and "Canopy". According to details that were datamined as long ago as April, the last two beta weekends have given us access to the whole of one layer of Verdant Brink. Assuming all the layers have the same surface area if not, necessarily, the same volume, then we should have seen 33% of the full, three-dimensional map. ANet don't seem to see it that way :

"For our second beta weekend test, you’ll be landing in a different part of the map than the one we showed in our first beta weekend, and you’ll be able to explore a new area: the jungle-floor biome. The playable content will comprise about 25% of the expansion’s first map."

Since they said the same last time, I make that 50% of the "playable content" in Verdant Brink they've revealed so far, but in just 33% of the map space. Either the other two biomes are smaller or there's less going on in them. I don't know. I should probably just stop thinking about it so hard
    ." - Bhagpuss
    I suppose the question is: Are you paying $50 for the content, (a single, larger than normal map with a raid) or $50 for the features? (New specs, new class)

10+ Year Old Account
    Added 5 blog posts to the OP

Two more Elite Specializations:

Raids:

WvW:

Also they have revamped the Heart of Thorns site, give it a look - tons more detail in there
    https://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com
    Valar morghulis

Wait, hold on

HoT will come with only 1 new map?

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Wait, hold on

HoT will come with only 1 new map?
    It's 1 map with 3 floors. They said so far the beta only does 25% of the whole thing
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that '1 map with 3 floors' adds up to maybe 2 whole maps, if we're being generous.

I mean when you compare that to, say, WoW's latest expansion with a whole new continent, 1000+ quests, raids, lore, game system, items... well I must say HoT falls short very, very significantly.

I understand that they have a different business model, different approach to patch delivery, yada yada, but still.
    1 zone? You gotta be kidding me.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that '1 map with 3 floors' adds up to maybe 2 whole maps, if we're being generous.

I mean when you compare that to, say, WoW's latest expansion with a whole new continent, 1000+ quests, raids, lore, game system, items... well I must say HoT falls short very, very significantly.

I understand that they have a different business model, different approach to patch delivery, yada yada, but still.
    There is supposed to be 3 more zones also, but not sure how big they are.

In any case, the one zone to access is basically a non-stop battle/event thing like Silverwastes. Fun to dabble, but I've no interest in staying there long term, so I wonder what else the expansion will add.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have announced 4 open world maps, some with 3 biomes (Roots, Floor and Canopy).

You'll journey through four of the largest, most diverse and replayable maps ever built in the world of Guild Wars®; maps in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns are designed as three-dimensional volumes rather than traditional flat planes. You'll have more to explore as you travel through the jungle biomes, from the canopy heights to the jungle floor and deep below into the jungle roots.

http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/game/maguuma

These are the map names that have been datamined:
    Verdant Brink
    Ebullient Depths
    Auric Basin
    Dragon's Stand

This of course does not count the Guild Hall maps or Borderlands or Stronghold maps or anything else.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2015-09-05 at 11:59 PM.
    Valar morghulis

You're comparing apples to oranges. But not to put oil to the fire gw2 is having all that except quests so you're point falls short
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I'm probably not going to pick up legion now that I've returned to WoW for a little bit. After playing other games WoWs issues are quite glaring and annoying. I like the unique flavor of the races and classes though, but I can't do 30-40 keybinds again and needing addons it's too annoying.
    IKR? Why can't all games just let you spam '1' it is so much more compelling!!?!?!?!