Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Except studies show that more conservatively dressed women are more likely to be victims.
    Studies are always limited sample sizes. I don't really put all that much stock in them, to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I have a mat that says "WELCOME!" in front of my door, does that mean I'm inviting anybody/everybody in? That means they can just take my stuff right?

This is how stupid it sounds when people say that people are responsible for their own rapes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'd argue that personal responsibility isn't in play when it comes to being victimized by a violent abuser. Personal responsibility shouldn't ever be raised as a potential justification for being victimized. Blaming a rape victim for the way they dress is like blaming a mugging victim for visibly having a wallet, or blaming a murder victim for having irritated their murderer.

To any decent, normal man, a scantily clad woman isn't going to make us "rapey". We don't rape women because it's wrong, and we'd never do that. The way a woman dresses in no way makes a man "rapey". The only thing it might do is happen to catch his eye just enough for him to decide that you're his next victim. She is in no way at fault for that. If he hadn't chosen to rape her, he'd have raped someone else. Because he's a violent dickhead rapist, and he was looking for someone to victimize. That isn't in any way the victim's fault.

The only time personal responsibility should ever be considered as a factor is when you deliberately put yourself into an explicitly bad situation. By which I mean things like breaking into the sex offenders section of a prison while stark naked and screaming "RAPE ME". Climbing into a lion's cage at the zoo, and you've only got yourself to blame when the lion attacks you. But if you're just walking down the street minding your own business when HOLY FUCK A LION, it's not your damned fault you smell like lunch.
    So flaunting with money in a ghetto isn't being stupid, and if and when someone gets robbed when he does this you can't say that this was a stupid move?
    If you drinking, doing drugs and going along with strange men on bikes is not something that is equally stupid or dangerous then i dont know what is..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaelai View Post
    In your analogy, the guy walking down the street would be covered in blood and carrying a steak in his hands.

Skimpy clothing on a woman exists for the one and only purpose of making men lust after them. The only reason a woman would be wearing that kind of clothing is when they WANT male attention.

So if you walk down the street holding a steak in your hands with blood all over you, then yes... when that Lion jumps on you, you definitely were contributing to the problem.

And being mugged just because you had a wallet... try "wearing an armani suit carrying a briefcase full of cash while walking through a ghetto" is a better way to say it.
    I'm male, I'm proud of my body and will wear clothes to accentuate it.

This shouldn't make me more likely to be raped, nor should it make women more likely to be raped if they do the same. Skimpy clothing isn't "just" to make women have men lust after them, that's just absurd.

Guys with nice cars are now responsible for being carjacked and if you live in a nice house, it's your fault if you get burglarized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether you disagree with her methods, she did her job - she got results. The fact of the matter is that she was hired by the university because what they cared about was reducing sexual assaults, and she took a practical approach that reduced those numbers.

Morally it's a grey area, but practically it's an effective method. People need to decide which one they care about more - proven results or morals.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post

This shouldn't make me more likely to be raped, nor should it make women more likely to be raped if they do the same.
    It doesn't. I don't know why people keep touting it does, when it's the other way around when it's been studied. More conservatively dressed women are at a higher risk.

Again; Studies show that more conservatively dressed women are more likely to be victims. So, your "belief" is wrong.
    I will point out that Studies are very subjective and there are Studies that opposite or is it possible those that dress conservatively are the only ones who really speak out? There are more crimes/rape that happen and no one knows about then there are reported cases.

This shouldn't make me more likely to be raped, nor should it make women more likely to be raped if they do the same.
    In an ideal world, no it shouldn't make anyone more likely to be attacked...

But the problem is... this isn't an ideal world. You can't always have things the way you want them. Yeah, sure, maybe you'd love to show off all of your awesome money while walking down the streets of the poor part of town... but you can't do that and expect to not be mugged. Sorry, you just can't. That's how the world works.

Deleted

But it does, you go and wear those nice cloths of yours at a Chippendale party and see if you come out unscathed.. Again, everything depends on where you are, how you act, what you say and other forms of communication.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    But it does, you go and wear those nice cloths of yours at a Chippendale party and see if you come out unscathed.. Again, everything depends on where you are, how you act, what you say and other forms of communication.
    No, it doesn't "depend" on how you act, what you say(Unless you're basically saying "rape me") or "other forms of communcation".

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Guys with nice cars are now responsible for being carjacked and if you live in a nice house, it's your fault if you get burglarized.
    If you park your nice car out in a dark parking lot at night and leave your doors unlocked, then yeah... you're probably gonna get jacked.

If you live in a nice house and leave the front door unlocked and leave your house for 12+ hours then there's a good chance you'll get burglarized.

Simple common sense. If you have something you don't want messed with, take proper precautions to make sure it doesn't happen. Derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop trying to do this shit with "mixed signals", if someone says something contrary to how you "interpreted" them, that means you "read" their body language wrong. Like, really fucking wrong. Verbal > body language because people are so shit at interpreting body language.
    Here's the rare time when I'll agree with you.

There's no such thing as "mixed signals". There's men not taking "no" for an answer because they're abusive shitheads. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You guys keep using words like "justification" and "blame" when no reasonable people are saying that. All the topic ever amounts to is the same simple, "Don't walk through dark alleys at night, don't leave $5000 on the drivers seat of your unlocked car, etc" personal safety advice that we give in regards to pretty much every other crime, and no one whines about "victim blaming" there.
    If you can't walk through dark alleys at night where you live, you have a serious crime issue, to begin with. That's not normal.

And we're not talking about situations where a woman's put herself at risk. We're talking about a woman wearing normal clothes just doing normal stuff. There's no such thing as "dressing provocatively", not when we're talking about clothes they'd wear in public. A woman wearing attractive clothes is not "provocative", in any way.

No one said the latter, that's absurd. It's not about "turning people into rapists", it's about avoiding situations where predators are given better opportunity.
    Which still doesn't put the victim at any level of blame for being victimized. If you get mugged because you take a shortcut, the cops aren't going to tell you they aren't filing it as a crime because you shouldn't have gone down that street. That isn't how any of this works.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Should" is irrelevant. I "should" be able to do anything, but certain activities will put me at greater risk for something bad happening to me.

(That said, I'm not really big on the "dress" part of the situation, I don't really see that as having a great effect. I'm more interested in, "Don't get blackout drunk around people" and other related stuff.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    In an ideal world, no it shouldn't make anyone more likely to be attacked...

But the problem is... this isn't an ideal world. You can't always have things the way you want them. Yeah, sure, maybe you'd love to show off all of your awesome money while walking down the streets of the poor part of town... but you can't do that and expect to not be mugged. Sorry, you just can't. That's how the world works.
    All three seem to touch on general victim blaming for all things people could do. Thing is, if it wasn't rape, and instead a murder, would the person who committed the crime not be guilty of murder?

Does a rapist who rapes an "easy" victim make them any less of a rapist? Any less of a monstrous human being? Does it make the victim any less of a victim?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Oh i get plenty of those.

I work in the financial industry so I also have to watch boring videos about not bribing people and money laundering every 6 months it seems.
    Why are you getting videos about how to behave like a normal human being? I would think a "higher life form" wouldn't need such things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    As a man, you don't need to teach us "not to rape". That isn't something men naturally lean to.

You're confusing the majority of men for the minority of asshole dickface rapists. Some men get violent and murder people, but that doesn't mean all men are seething violent murderers at heart, either. Those psychopaths are the exception, not the rule.

And yes, I don't care if you're (speaking in the VERY general, to a hypothetical, not to you, Ivanstone) pushing a girl you're dating past her comfort zone rather than grabbing a stranger and dragging her into the pushes; you're a rapist dickbag who gets off on abusing women. It isn't "normal" or "how things are"; it's you being a sick fuck.
    So according to you every guy that wants to get laid and tries his best (without raping her) is still a rapist? No wonder that people tend to not take this stuff serious anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you park your nice car out in a dark parking lot at night and leave your doors unlocked, then yeah... you're probably gonna get jacked.

If you live in a nice house and leave the front door unlocked and leave your house for 12+ hours then there's a good chance you'll get burglarized.

Simple common sense. If you have something you don't want messed with, take proper precautions to make sure it doesn't happen. Derp.
    Does that make the crimes any less of a crime?

So why does it make the victim of said crimes less of a victim if it's rape?

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you keep saying "blame", even when I went out of my way to say that no one is saying that?
    You aren't directly saying blame, but it's being HEAVILY implicated...

10+ Year Old Account
    In your analogy, the guy walking down the street would be covered in blood and carrying a steak in his hands.

Skimpy clothing on a woman exists for the one and only purpose of making men lust after them. The only reason a woman would be wearing that kind of clothing is when they WANT male attention.
    Or to make herself feel pretty. Or to make women think they're attractive.

And me thinking a girl is attractive is not remotely going to make me "rapey". I don't get rapey, because I'm not a sick bastard.

Your argument is no different in character from Saudi men saying that the flash of an ankle made them rape that girl. That's exactly the argument you're making here. I'm not going to ever agree that it's valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yeah, in the US our comedians are our intellectuals.
    study been made, actually most comedians have a pretty good avg IQ.
    So yeah...

Alot of good points in satire. And a "easy" way to deliver them.

If we teach girls how to avoid rape, eg, don't drink alcohol unless it's safe, stay in groups, I don't see why it's out of the question to teach boys about communicating with girls, no means no, etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland