Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    blizzard only looks at his portfolio now, not a single game basis. if wow is underperforming as an asset, that usually translates to other blizzard games overperforming as players dont leave, but switch. so as long as the ENTIRE player base of ALL blizzard games is over certain amount they will maintain ALL of them, because cutting 1 off completely means no revenue at all and renders all existing support systems for it useless.

7+ Year Old Account
    It will be the last wow expansion I'll ever try.
    But even if Legion fails Blizzard will continue to milk it. Wow is still super profitable.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I know they CLAIM there are plenty more xpacs lined up, and they are surely working on the one after Legion already, but I'm also certain that all of that is contingent upon sales and sub numbers.

I think if subs fall under 3 million, then they start reducing staff. So Legion might actually be the final full blown xpac.

2017: subs fall under 3 million
    2017: Coders and artists currently working on WoW begin to resign frequently and resurface at other game companies.
    2017: Responding to rumors, Blizzard announces they are reducing staff that work on WoW.
    2018: NO expansion announcement comes out for a LONG time. Just radio silence on that front.
    2018: Finally, they mention that the next expansion has been "delayed" to ensure the best possible quality.
    2019: Blizzard announces the next xpac, and the new features are even less than we've ever seen before.
    2019: Subs fall under 1.5 million.
    2020: After a ridiculous delay of a little over 3 years, the next xpac is released in early 2020, and EVERYONE assumes this is the final xpac for WoW ever. There is a really big boost in sub numbers as people come back for the final visit.

And that's it. They NEVER come out and say there will never be another xpac. They just go quiet. We go thru 2020, 2021, 2022, and people continue to speculate on what the next xpac will have. Subs fall to 500k. And it slowly fades away.

If subs can stabilize above 3 million, I think this doesn't transpire. Maybe the magic number is 2 million. But I think its a fair guess.

We could be looking at the final full-blown xpac for WoW.
    If I remember, some post long ago said rumors from a blizzard worker said Subs are at around 3.5 mil right now, so by the time of January 2017 I think the subs WILL be below 3 mil already. Legion won't help that, especially If they keep banning innocent players left and right for nonsensical reasons, me and my friends cant play cause ban, why? No reason. Apparently getting hacked doesn't get me my 10 year old account back, who knew.

But soon enough, I think they'll have to realize WoW either needs a giant revamp, or lean again more onto proper endgame, and that's not raiding but outdoor experiences. Let's be honest, once we level through the zones, they'll become as useless as Dreanor is now to us most likely. Dalaran will be our new Garrison and thats It. And all you had to do, was be nice to your customers, make good content and not ban anyone for stupid reasons... dammit Blizz.

Wow isn't over till sargeras is dead.. and if they have even said in the past that those stories are far from over...

Everquest is still going after 22 expansion. TWENTY TWO While it was the top dog at one time, It never reached the pinnacle Wow did. If freaking Everquest can still be going, there's no way WoW is going anywhere anytime soon unless it is in Blizzard's plan to pull the plug. Many MMOs would kill for even 500k people. Yet, somehow, that's the deathknell for WoW in so many doomsday scenarios.

10+ Year Old Account
    3 mil by 2017? You must be kidding me. The numbers will be much higher as many will re-sub once legion is out. It'll be like WoD all over again give or take a couple million.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    blizzard only looks at his portfolio now, not a single game basis. if wow is underperforming as an asset, that usually translates to other blizzard games overperforming as players dont leave, but switch. so as long as the ENTIRE player base of ALL blizzard games is over certain amount they will maintain ALL of them, because cutting 1 off completely means no revenue at all and renders all existing support systems for it useless.
    I know I will not switch to any other Blizzard game, if they don't replace WoW with WoW2 or something like that. Overwatch trailer was great, but this is not a game I like to play, I lost my interest in Diablo3 after some weeks (and I have been a Diablo addict back then, for years), I only played Hearthstone until I got the WoW mount and never looked back, and I did not even make it through the intro of HotS.

If they kill WoW, they will lose me for sure.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think MoP was the last full-blown xpac. I feel like that was the last big push to see if they could rebound from Cata's sub drop. After seeing that the game peaked with Wrath they decided that from now on we're just gonna get mini xpacs like WoD with fewer content patches. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Legion gets 3+ content patches like the pre-WoD expansions and we don't just get stuck with 7.1 Class Hall Update and 7.2 Final Boss Patch.

WoW will continue and have high amount of subs each launch/patch.

You think it is not worth getting those millions out of that?

It's possible, alot of WoW players are getting really bored of the same old same, Blizzard needs to make a new MMO. I don't see myself playing this one for very long i put it some decent hours everyday but the game is meh to me within like 1-2 hours of playing. I kinda hope it's the last exp.
    Not a fan of using elo boost to rank up.
    but i prefer the tier list instead.

Why do people start silly threads like these?

Nope. Blizzard is already in pre-production for the expansion after Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Yeah, mark his words because WoW will absolutely die and it will happen sooner than you think. (To say nothing about 10 million players, that's just bananas ....oh.... I just noted who's posting.)

Deleted
    there is no passion left from blizzard towards wow. so i think they want to get rid of it quite fast as long as they don't let too much money on the table. but it's pretty obvious that they don't want to deal with the game anymore. the fire is out.

Deleted
    Wouldn't be suprised to see WoW go F2P after Legion. But even then there would be like 2 more expansions most likely.

Deleted
    they could go free to play and even make more money if they get 2 times more subs in free to play mod is like 5 mounths worth of sub witch is average players plays withouth token im asuming we had 10 mil subs at start of wod so bliz made 0.6billion $ from releasing almost no content +if you add the store stuf and colector editions+level 90 bost they made 0.7 billion $
    Last edited by mmoc1bc8e6de49; 2016-02-29 at 07:05 PM.

I can see a huge increase in microtransactions coming. This will compensate for the subloss, if any.

They could always figure out a way to do small patch-like expansions, adding a couple of dungeons, a new zone/quests, smaller raid, etc. and keep that going for a while. I mean, Everquest still pumps out expansions (not sure how large they are, though) and that's been going on what, 17 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

2017: subs fall under 3 million
    2017: Coders and artists currently working on WoW begin to resign frequently and resurface at other game companies.
    2017: Responding to rumors, Blizzard announces they are reducing staff that work on WoW.
    2018: NO expansion announcement comes out for a LONG time. Just radio silence on that front.
    2018: Finally, they mention that the next expansion has been "delayed" to ensure the best possible quality.
    2019: Blizzard announces the next xpac, and the new features are even less than we've ever seen before.
    2019: Subs fall under 1.5 million.
    2020: After a ridiculous delay of a little over 3 years, the next xpac is released in early 2020, and EVERYONE assumes this is the final xpac for WoW ever. There is a really big boost in sub numbers as people come back for the final visit.
    Is that like your hobby or something? Coming up with random and baseless gloomy predictions and stuff?