Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I think the fact that this topic has generated more discussion on this forum (and every other WoW forum I've been to today) than anything else since Legion's announcement is indicative of at least some interest in legacy servers.
    to many idiots in here to see that though.
    cya later its my 3rd infraction of the day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I think the fact that this topic has generated more discussion on this forum (and every other WoW forum I've been to today) than anything else since Legion's announcement is indicative of at least some interest in legacy servers.
    there is definite interest in legacy servers, but blizzard's in house cost analysis determines its not worth the expenditure.

whats strange is that this private server can pull it off well, and if they can, why cant blizzard. makes players frustrated (understandably).
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    No. This was a move by Blizzard to stop something illegal.
    Blizzard abandoned true MMO players for their shitty current game. They brought this on themselves, also the people that made vanilla dont even work at Blizzard anymore.

we know some of you are blinded by fanboyism and some of you are trolls, but is it that hard to belive that for some of us, vanilla and TBC was more fun than the game right now?

What harm does letting a community not making any money run a simple private server pose to blizzard.

https://www.change.org/p/michael-mor...raft-community

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Someone stole from Blizzard, and they got punished. I'm pretty sure this is an open-and-shut case. Sorry you liked their service, but then, I like raw milk cheese, and the border guards disagree. Guess which one of us wins?
    You can get raw milk cheese as long as it is aged more that 60 days I believe. I love me some epoisses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    i think activison and blizzard are lame for doing this.. EITHER fucking make a private and bc and wrath servers for players to enjoy or just shut up and let others make it so we can have that kinda experience.
    I think you are lame for having a big fat cry about a criminal organisation being caught doing illegal activities. Either make your own game that is not a ripoff of another companies IP or fuck off. Just because an experience is possible doesn't mean you should do it. Stop being an entitled fuckwit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    This would make a good blog post for you to expand on some day. What I think should happen is that someone should put together a business plan for this, take it to Blizzard and see what could be worked out. In other words, a group would basically negotiate to license the idea and cut Blizzard in on the profits. You can make of that what you will. It would be a very steep road but with the right pitch I could see Blizzard giving it some thought and even a bit of support here and there. But Blizzard would need to know how they would profit from it assuming they had an open mind about it. They won't do it but I don't believe they've ever said that they are not open to the idea of working out a licensing agreement with a properly professional group that has an actual business plan and willing to partner with Blizzard on a project.
    I don't think they would risk tarnishing the brand if the secondary company screwed it up.

They wouldn't even have to screw it up either. It merely being unsuccessful is bad for a brand.

My opinion though. Open to being proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Everyone look at this post. This post is proof that the education system doesn't work. This guy thinks that if you buy software or music or videos or any other multimedia product that you MAGICALLY own it. This is in fact incorrect. You have only purchased the right to use the media in a way that is stipulated in the ToS. In the ToS, it does not allow for a company to steal the code and set up an illegal alternative to the owner of the media (which is not the person who purchased it). Feel sorry for this person. It isn't his fault. The system let him down.
    I suppose I should expect personal attacks here... I had thought more highly of people but I suppose this is the kind of discussions you have in life.

But to your point: Actually, you do own it. They can not "revoke" your license. You can resell what you purchased (under first sale doctrine). You can loan it to a friend if you want.

Terms of Service are just that -- to use their service, you have to agree. You can quit your subscription anytime but you still own the CD and what's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by provaporous View Post
    Blizzard abandoned true MMO players for their shitty current game. They brought this on themselves, also the people that made vanilla dont even work at Blizzard anymore.
    There are quite a few people who do, in fact, still work at Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclestalk View Post
    1-60 in vanilla is different, it's an adventure.
    You enjoy the journey
    I enjoyed it already. Zero reason to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    there is definite interest in legacy servers, but blizzard's in house cost analysis determines its not worth the expenditure.

whats strange is that this private server can pull it off well, and if they can, why cant blizzard. makes players frustrated (understandably).
    If blizzard does it they have to be able to support the frontloaded server demand on day one.

It likely isn't worth the risk (justifiably) since the majority of its users won't use it for any worthwhile length of time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belime View Post
    Vanilla wow had 7 raids how many did WoD have?
    WoD had 7+10+13 = 30 Raid BOSSES.

How many BOSSES did Vanilla have, considering half the raids were single bosses?

Edit: I'm wrong, Wrath baby assumed BC single-boss raids were from Vanilla.
    Last edited by Volibear; 2016-04-07 at 12:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    I suppose I should expect personal attacks here... I had thought more highly of people but I suppose this is the kind of discussions you have in life.

But to your point: Actually, you do own it. They can not "revoke" your license. You can resell what you purchased (under first sale doctrine). You can loan it to a friend if you want.

Terms of Service are just that -- to use their service, you have to agree. You can quit your subscription anytime but you still own the CD and what's on it.
    You do not own what is on the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    What the fuck does this have anything to do with Taking blizzards games and then making money off blizzard by hosting their own game that is a 100% complete copy and thus stealing intellectual property and rights? Oh yeah, nothing. Way to make yourself look not intelligent there.
    Because you're selling *bandwidth and computer usage*. You're not selling Blizzards *software*.

Do you pay for expansions and a subscription? Or just a subscription? Do you know what that subscription entitles you to?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    "letting it fall to oblivion"

They are (according to the sirens on this website despite obvious evidence to support that they can't afford to keep their servers running) shutting down a free version of their product. The code from which was reverse engineered and stolen.

Promoting theft is counterculture. this is theft. The artists who drew the concept art think it is theft. The writers who wrote the quest text think it is theft. The programmers who are having the underlying architecture freeloaded think it is theft.
    I'm sure you know all of them to know their personal view on the matter

The law isn't always right, just saying. And blindly accepting the law without questions because "it is the law" is the first step towards totalitarian regimes with no free will and/or freedom.

I already said, yes it's illegal. Doesn't mean it's as immoral as some people here make it be I doubt even some 10% (random value, just really mean a tiny fraction) of the people "spitting" on Nos and their players truly stick to their ideals and have never once played a pirated game. Easy to judge others, not so easy to do the same about yourself.

It's like a rich guy who has clothes in good condition that he doesn't uses anymore, but just keeps them in a closet because it's "theirs" when other people could actually be enjoying it. Sure, stealing from the guy would be illegal. Doesn't mean "rich guy keeps the clothes because he can, despite not using them" is a better situation than "rich guy allows people who have a use for the clothes to enjoy them".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    I don't think they would risk tarnishing the brand if the secondary company screwed it up.

They wouldn't even have to screw it up either. It merely being unsuccessful is bad for a brand.

My opinion though. Open to being proven wrong.
    My point was that if this is to be done it will need to be done with a solid business plan. In fact, if Blizzard would even think to agree to it and agreed that it would be profitable in some way, a limited partnership could be created. I don't see it as really anything that Blizzard would be interested in but going about it in a businesslike way is more likely to get them to talk and consider the idea than anything else proposed here.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    It's not spiteful to take back your property once it's been stolen.
    So Blizzard can take back their property and the consumer can't? 99% of Vanilla doesn't exist anymore, it's entirely rewritten out of existence. And yet we paid for it. Why can't we take back our property? Shouldn't we have acces to vanilla if we paid for it? Because we don't have access to it, it doesn't exist anymore.

I understand that Blizzard holds these rights, but since they don't offer an alternative to move to (ie official Vanilla servers) I find this spiteful to the people that simply enjoy playing Vanilla WoW over WoD/Legion. We never harmed anyone since playing Vanilla isn't the same as playing WoD/Legion and they're not mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by provaporous View Post
    Your nerdrage has you a little bit confused. Blizzard did not bring anything onto themselves. The criminal organisation some people call Nos brought this onto themselves. The people who made the game,the developers, do not own the game. Blizzard does. I am sure that when you wipe away your tears that you will begin to understand this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

So the company that owns the game shut down a private server that was using their code and IP against their wishes.

Good for Blizzard.

And for those of you who still don't understand why this is theft, read your EULA and TOS again. You are licensing the game - you do not own it. If Blizzard doesn't want private or vanilla servers, they will not allow private or vanilla servers. No matter how much you beg and plead and piss and moan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

11+ years of OBSOLETE collected content,
    transmogging - NOT ACTUAL CONTENT
    mounts NOT ACTUAL CONTENT
    pet battles is this fucking april fools?
    more races 25 minutes of new content
    classes actual content
    more engaging and challenging mechanics. actual content
    zzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Belime View Post
    go play WoD you little fucking tool lmao
    Go play Nostralius.

Oh.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.