Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

private servers

I understand it a contentious topic, but generally speaking you tend to expect a certain degree of empathy from any average human when they witness a genuinely benevolent group of people suffer some form of agony or emotional pain.

but official forums be like "OMG yes i hope you all die you're worse than the terroriest and all the evil and..."

just... why.
    Last edited by Truculentt; 2018-02-12 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do the people who play on private servers hate people who don't? For instance, in the thread on our forum about Nost being shut down, multiple people were banned for telling retail players that they should kill themselves.

The answer is that people, online, lose any social inhibitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Truculentt View Post
    a genuinely benevolent group
    How did you come to this conclusion? Was it benevolent pirating perhaps? How does that work?

Respect for law, perhaps? You know, the copyright law regime that allows commercial products like WoW to be developed in the first place?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why do the people who play on private servers hate people who don't? For instance, in the thread on our forum about Nost being shut down, multiple people were banned for telling retail players that they should kill themselves.

Precisely this. You'll see many people act completely put of character because of the anonymity of the internet
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

10+ Year Old Account
    a genuinely benevolent group of people suffer some form of agony or emotional pain
    A genuinely benevolent group? You mean guys like these here: https://www.change.org/p/michael-mor...ty/c/430227677 ?

Or those who steal IP and setup server that runs on "donations" that get pocketed?

Why they are saints, I'm sure if that private server would keep running they'd cure cancer too!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

well I think the nost people are just reacting to being attacked. I mean.. the hostility toward them since this happened, from the retail community, has been INSANE.

and if you ever visited nosts forums, it was such a pleasant place.

Deleted
    genuinely benevolent group
    Rofl, a real bunch of saints.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand it a contentious topic, but generally speaking you tend to expect a certain degree of empathy from any average human when they witness a genuinely benevolent group of people suffer some form of agony or emotional pain.

but official forums be like "OMG yes i hope you all die you're worse than the terroriest and all the evil and..."

just... why.
    Nobody should be celebrating people losing something they loved doing, however there are some points to be made. The Nost players were on a private server that was bound to be shut down eventually, yet act like they didn't know that. Also not very benevolent, as a lot of the times the Nost players would constantly spout off about Nost on forums like MMO-C, using it as "evidence" in support of legacy servers regardless of Blizzards response, which inevitably led to Nost being shut down.

just... why.
    I believe you're getting the word benevolent mixed up with malevolent, seeing how wanting people to kill themselves isn't what I would call a nice thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    How did you come to this conclusion? Was it benevolent pirating perhaps? How does that work?
    do you know what pirating means? because im sure blizzard does, and blizzard didnt serve them a C&D for being pirates.

because 100% of the people on the official forums is still paying for the game as it is now, you don't have access to post opposing opinions otherwise.

Nice trolling bro, 4/5.

Jokes aside, did you seriously thought people would pity you? Why? While I somewhat feel for your losses, its:

1. experience that matters and nobody can take it from you, and
    2. you knew that playing on a private server can potentially lead to losing everything, since lots of them were closed by Blizzard.

So, you knew the risks, and you had your experience. In other words, you had your (illegal) experience and now you're paying for it.

Also, do we really need that much of a circle-jerk over this particular topic? I get it, people are mad, but there are lots of threads on this matter already...
    Last edited by l33t; 2016-04-08 at 10:37 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Respect for law, perhaps? You know, the copyright law regime that allows commercial products like WoW to be developed in the first place?
    i serious doubt the official forum members are so passionately lawful that they feel inclined to get hostel and attack private server players....

well I think the nost people are just reacting to being attacked. I mean.. the hostility toward them since this happened, from the retail community, has been INSANE.
    most one sided blind PoV of the day.

Us versus Them mentality.

do you know what pirating means? because im sure blizzard does, and blizzard didnt serve them a C&D for being pirates.
    Let me answer that once you explain what benevolent means and what exactly makes these people benevolent.

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    Nobody should be celebrating people losing something they loved doing,
    this was really my only point.

i serious doubt the official forum members are so passionately lawful that they feel inclined to get hostel and attack private server players....
    you're so blind it's unreal like nost members never did anything wrong didnt get hostile and act like assholes to blizzard or retail players. sure on the nost forums everyone was nice because you're all the same private server players wanting to do the same thing.

now nost has been shut down you're mixing in with people of different opinions and now nost players are sad and angry and hostile about losing their illegal server.

Yes that's actually exactly what happened.
    Beta Club Brosquad