10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    That's interesting...so in theory, outside of like raid and dungeon drops I guess, any other armor you encounter I the game can be gotten back again if you like the look but discarded it?
    Yeah and a lot of armor is crafter only too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Although I blew up two expeditioner thighboots earlier because I was using the wrong macro for it, so that was like 3m potential down the drain.
    Ouch.
    But you're Bruce Wayne... so 3M is pocket change for you anyway. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Also just saying, Duty Finders hate stuff like rogues and monks, don't think I've seen one drop just for normal disciplines of war class, it's always the tank or caster stuff
    Go away... 90% of my drops are Monk/Bard crap. >.<

To answer your question: Unless you are prepared to level ALL crafting classes to at least lv 50 (cross class skills are rather mandatory), let me give you a piece of advice for free: Do not bother with crafting classes.

Gathering on the other hand is "stoopidly" easy to level and they are not interdependent. Gathering can make nice cash and cost next to nothing to level.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-04-11 at 11:42 AM.

Finally took the plunge and started leveling gathering/crafting classes. I have all of them at 12/13, which for having started Saturday evening going in without knowing anything about how stuff work (or more specifically, where all the vendors are for various reagents), I believe is a reasonable pace.

- GC turn-ins: Heard a bunch of hype about these, so went and checked and initially was underwhelmed. "How is 400 xp supposed to give me a level when I need 5k xp?". Then I realized the xp and item turn ins are based on your craft levels as of the time the turn ins reset (4 PM my time). So the ones I got to do yesterday evening were actually worth a massive chunk of xp. The ones from the first day were for level 1 crafters, and by that time I was already 7 or 8 on everything.

- Leves: Did some of these for fishing, which made me realize that swapping out bait for higher level bait is a good idea, else I would probably still be fishing for some of those fish they wanted, heh.

Amusing quest: The level 10 armorer quest. "Bring us 12 bronze plates!". So I walk 10 feet over to a vendor, buy them for pennies, then turn them in. "Wow, you made these?! Superb!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah them quests are .. weird if you buy it from the AH.
    @ Fishing: http://de.ff14angler.com/?spot=10306...t=0&cmd=search
    All the information you could possibly need.

GC turnins rock when they have a star and you deliver in HQ. HQ always doubles the Xp gained. So does star. Delivering star in HQ = 4x normal XP.

Stupid mention system...

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

GC turnins rock when they have a star and you deliver in HQ. HQ always doubles the Xp gained. So does star. Delivering star in HQ = 4x normal XP.

Stupid mention system...
    Yup, did that with a HQ boiled egg of all things and got over a level and a half for CUL. Good times.

HQing items as a lowbie is a giant gamble. Sure, I'm confident I could probably pick up some HQ items for dirt cheap off the MB, but I am stubborn and want to make them myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    heheh having a fun time discussing secondary stats for healers in the official forums right now.

Is it my math or are them differences between secondaries near nonexistent (given the quantities we can meld into blue gear)?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...=1#post3658833

I mean I'm looking at <5% between fully melded and unmelded gear. Oo

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Stupid mention system...
    This is probably why they created the collectable system ...

- - - Updated - - -

heheh having a fun time discussing secondary stats for healers in the official forums right now.

Is it my math or are them differences between secondaries near nonexistent (given the quantities we can meld into blue gear)?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...=1#post3658833

I mean I'm looking at <5% between fully melded and unmelded gear. Oo
    No offense, I really hope SE doesn't become overly obsessed with min-maxing of this type ... like a certain other developer ... >.>

No one but the minority hardcore gives a shit.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Even if it were 1%, some guy would ride your ass about having the "wrong ones".
    Maybe SE should just save everyone the hassle and just tell us which pieces of gear is better than the next.

Seriously, it's all pre-determined - it's a theme park MMO after all - it's not like you will discover some special gear/materia combo via some stroke of genius.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

I thought the correct answer for stats/melds for healers as of 3.2 was "stack accuracy and pray".

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's funny you say that, actually. Reminds me of the time in Cata when I was running a bunch of math to optimize my Resto Druid and my results said that a meta gem from Wrath was actually far and away superior to any of the meta gems available in Cata.

So I used it for a while, and sure enough over a long period I saw the small increase in output that my math suggested. The funny part was that - because the Elitist Jerks "guide" thread at the time was still suggesting the use of the Cata meta gem - I got several snide little remarks from people regarding, "lol this guy using a Wrath gem, haha, what a noob"

And of course, once the EJ thread caught up and mentioned the Wrath gem, everyone jumped on the bandwagon. But by then a better Cata-level gem had been released, and once again people were stuck using the inferior item all because they just did whatever their guide told them.
    Situations like these are few and far between (by design) and almost inevitably results in a nerf to the "offending" combo.

Theme park MMO = walk the path exactly as the developer planned; deviations are quickly patched out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I thought the correct answer for stats/melds for healers as of 3.2 was "stack accuracy and pray".
    Are healers suppose to DPS?

SE isn't putting any accuracy on their gear if what I heard.

i.e. SE doesn't want healers DPSing. Get with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post

SE isn't putting any accuracy on their gear if what I heard.

i.e. SE doesn't want healers DPSing. Get with the program.
    When there's no incoming damage needing to be tended to, that's what a good healer does; they chip in on dps as much as they can. Given the gross amount of misses due to the insistence of SE to not have accuracy on healer gear, it's led to people melding it on the new lore gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    It is.
    200(?) ish accuracy = 20+ hit chance. So for raid healers there is little alternative to Acc/Pie.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of FFs community will get VERY angry at you if you just stand around as a healer.

The game isn't designed around healing full time. It's more like 50/50 Heal/DPS.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most of FFs community will get VERY angry at you if you just stand around as a healer.

The game isn't designed around healing full time. It's more like 50/50 Heal/DPS.
    The developers don't agree apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    The developers don't agree apparently.
    They don't agree, yet they don't have the cojones to do anything about it (like increasing damage dealt so healers can heal full time).

In expert dungeons it's heal 20% and DPS 80%. Unless I want to stand around 80% of the time, there is no other choice than to throw stones.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

The game isn't designed around healing full time. It's ,ore like 50/50 Heal/DPS.
    Well, never experienced this "VERY angry" attitude towards me. Since I started playing before Heavensward launched, I've mostly healed without dpsing. When Alexander Gordias launched, I went to the Burden and didn't DPS'ed. Then there was this time that the overall dps of the dungeon party was so low that the tank said "Healer, I think you'll need to DPS.". Then I did it. But nobody ever got VERY angry at me for just "standing around". It's situational.

The game is mostly designed around healing full time, because sometimes human errors happens and the tank goes near 0% very fast - the healer must be there, ready.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ouch.
    But you're Bruce Wayne... so 3M is pocket change for you anyway. :P
    3M lost does kinda hurt, but it's not like I'm scraping the barrel or anything for money. I have so much posted on the MB, probably over 50m at the moment that slowly sells. Lots of people doing their relic so those HQ trade in items are selling nicely.

Treasure maps either make money, or they don't, just depends on the server. Although I suppose in a way, if you lose a slight amount of money over time with treasure maps, but then suddenly get a pet from them, that will make up for all that lost money and then some, so if you don't make money off them it is gambling for a pet. But again, a lot of people forget to factor in the crystals, and then there's the intrinsic value of the unidentified items. How much are you willing to "pay" for those objects to be able to farm them pretty fast?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    The game is mostly designed around healing full time, because sometimes human errors happens and the tank goes near 0% very fast - the healer must be there, ready.
    Unless you are severly undergared: no it's not. Not even by a long shot.

Sure if everyone is there for the first time, no one expects you to DPS. But once progress settles and you know when the predictable damage happens, people expect you to DPS.

And rightfully so. Esp in dungeons it's as if you get half a DPS player more as opposed to dumb standing around.

Personally I like the playstyle a lot. The dynamic cleric stance dancing, constant risk assessment and weaving DPS with healing spells to max GCD usage.

Only the current dungeons pushed it too far into the DPS camp. There is hardly anything do dance to anymore, it's more: "put up HoT -> cleric -> DPS -> next group repeat".

And yes: I had people rage at me and call me "idiot healer" for not DPSing. People are mean in this game. Just as mean as they are in WoW.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They don't agree, yet they don't have the cojones to do anything about it (like increasing damage dealt so healers can heal full time).

In expert dungeons it's heal 20% and DPS 80%. Unless I want to stand around 80% of the time, there is no other choice than to throw stones.
    /shrug

Looks like they are prioritising giving healers a lot of leeway at the expense of healers having a lot of free time.

Can't say I blame them. Don't want to make healing too difficult. (Wonder if the demographic of players who play healers might have something to do with it.)

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And yes: I had people rage at me and call me "idiot healer" for not DPSing. People are mean in this game. Just as mean as they are in WoW.
    Also not my experience o_o

Maybe it's the difference... I do DPS when I heal, but when I don't (when I was gearing with the loot given by the current duty), people never raged after me, while you (by the looks of it) was harassed for not dpsing. They usually ask me before. "Dude I think we need more DPS, can you help?" is what I usually experience, and only when:
    -I'm not DPS'ing
    -The group actually needs extra DPS

And, my perception of this community is that, while it has it's portion of douches, it's much more gentle in the instances. Hell, people say "Hi" for me in the dungeons! How cool is that?!?

Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    This is so far from true it's not even funny. I've been in runs as SCH where I did not have to heal at all, outside of the healing fairy does automatically, I just DPS the vast majority of the time I do any dungeons or raids. If the other healer is a SCH, then I'll pay more attention to heals, because he may be DPSing too, but if it's a WHM, forget about it, I just don't heal because between the WHM and my Fairy, there is little for me to heal. If "the game was designed around healing full time" as you claim, then i would not ever have time to DPS, or only on rare occasions. The exact opposite is true though.