10+ Year Old Account
    I have discovered a most annoying bug.
    When I zoom in, light sources suddenly aren't rendered anymore.

I love sitting on the "Fireplace for freezing Knights". When I AFK I usually zoom all the way in, to have my Cat sit there.
    Screenshots aren't ideal but I merely turned the cam a few degrees in pic 2 and 3. Suddenly all the orange lighting on her robes and the shadow on the wall is gone.

Any explanations for this behavior? Seems really weird to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    "Healthy mix? If one of the results is endless RMT spam ... I wonder if "healthy" is the right word.

Also no direct player trading doesn't mean no trading at all. There is still the price regulated market board.

Nothing wrong with your friend either a) getting a drop, b) paying for one on the market board.
    You obviously don't like the idea of a friend treating a friend little gifts, but get over it, people like to bring their friend into the game and give them a little help or gift here there. I bet most people would prefer that than your "no gift" policy.

Doing something that please you (and you alone) and pisses everyone else off is a lot more "unhealthy" for the game IMO.

We will never agree on this topic, and I am glad you are not a game designer.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I have discovered a most annoying bug.
    When I zoom in, light sources suddenly aren't rendered anymore.

I love sitting on the "Fireplace for freezing Knights". When I AFK I usually zoom all the way in, to have my Cat sit there.
    Screenshots aren't ideal but I merely turned the cam a few degrees in pic 2 and 3. Suddenly all the orange lighting on her robes and the shadow on the wall is gone.

Any explanations for this behavior? Seems really weird to me.
    A similar thing happens to shadows. For example go to Anyx Trine. Enter from the front door flying in and you can see the Aetheryte shadows but they're not circling around though. Move in closer and by that I mean literally right next to it and bam the shadows start moving around properly. Its probably some weird culling thing to save on resources.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2016-04-27 at 07:24 PM.

Yay, finally hit 50 on my AST so went from potato gear to the decent 110 set my WHM was using. Now to start working on Heavensward content on my AST.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The current WR for Mega Man X is a tie between an console run and an emulator run, so they seem to be accepted. Darn near every applicable game on the speedrun.com leaderboards has times from emulators, and SRL has them mentioned as legal for races. (As long as accepted by the community in general for a specific game)

So there might be issues, but they're not a no-no by any means. I'm sure if there are issues with any given game, the community for it knows the time differences anyway. (And they're likely smaller differences than using JP or EN carts, or PRG0/PRG1 carts in the case of some NES games.)
    SRL allows them because it's more open to the public and it'd alienate a lot of people and quite honestly be quite dead. Speedrun.com is quite dead, a lot of speed run communities have their own sites. The MMX you cited, Hetfield's run is actually faster by a few seconds, it's not a tie, and this is an issue as you yourself don't realize. Hell I watch MMX speed runners, and it gets explained a lot of time why emulators are and aren't allowed. For MMX1 it's allowed and actually a disadvantage because it's close enough by a few seconds, however MMX2/'3 it becomes a huge difference where times aren't comparable at all. Which is why on MMX2/3, there's absolutely no emulator times. If there is a consistent in game time however, then that's what it is used. ZX for example, Tiki has top time because his in game time is faster but real time is slower than emulators. Loading for example is faster on emulators, and it varies machine to machine. If you can go through an official medium, then it's generally better accepted for speed running as they know that everything you do is the same as everyone else and not a potential cheat. A SM64 16star run was found to be an emulator cheat with save state splicing after analyzing the video with the music at points abruptly changing.

All Games Done Quick, European Speedrunner Assembly, RPG Limit Break, etc, are all on official consoles for example.
    The huge issue with official mediums for old games is it's expensive, and not a lot of people are that dedicated, but emulators are not something that is generally accepted or even remotely accurate. Stuff like the first Shantae game costs a few hundred dollars and are extremely rare.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    You obviously don't like the idea of a friend treating a friend little gifts, but get over it, people like to bring their friend into the game and give them a little help or gift here there. I bet most people would prefer that than your "no gift" policy.

Doing something that please you (and you alone) and pisses everyone else off is a lot more "unhealthy" for the game IMO.

We will never agree on this topic, and I am glad you are not a game designer.
    I don't really care what you do for your friends.

I do hate RMT spam a lot though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    At work, so I can't see the video, based on some comments I am assuming it's Bloodborne. Let's discuss based on your premise if "knowing when and what to attack". How exactly would that work? What would it look like? Retreating is valid, but how do you retreat when you're alone? Wouldn't the mob just follow you and interrupt your recuperation?

Rebuff? What abilities need to rebuffed? What buffs are actually meaningful in combat? I can't think of any situation where what you (or SQEX) is proposing that is both engaging and rewarding from a gameplay perspective. As I mentioned the combat engine in this game is not tuned for in-depth solo combat.
    Bloodborne/Souls games actually work off the same principles as fighting games like Street Fighter/King of Fighters.

All attacks (both by the player and the mobs) have a "cost" in the sense that they have wind up and recovery times.

Those wind up and recovery times are window of opportunity for attack - assuming you are in a position to do so.

Ignoring PvP, where there is the baiting aspect and feinting, mobs in the Souls type games all have exploitable gaps in their attacks in which you can get a parry in (wind up) or can attack with no fear of getting hit yourself (recovery) - the latter is also a good time to heal up if you are low on HP.

The skill is in judging when you can do what, as choosing wrong will get you kill in quick order, and how to counter incoming attacks.

Watch the video. (The author actually uses fighting game terms like "punishing" (an attack). I only know of these terms because of GameFAQs I read in the 90s on KoF - I don't play it but I was bored.)
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Haha, the real reason you an't emulate Grandia 2 very well is because that game in its OEM format is as buggy as my backyard. (hint. my backyard has a lot of bugs).

I do love that game. Adored Millenia and the combat. WTB next gen Grandia game.
    Grandia II had one of the most enjoyable RPG battle mechanics I've seen. The ability to cancel the enemies abilities if you timed your attacks right and combo up certain attacks to flat out shut an enemy out was always cool, the story was fun and yeah Millenia was awesome. I thought Magna Carta on PS2 was going to be the next gen Grandia game because the battles have a similar mechanic but man...I was sorely disappointed.

OT: I'm anxiously excited for Deep Dungeon. Additional game play avenues for solo players are always welcomed to me. I'll reserve judgement until I see it in action though because I have a lot of questions about it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Grandia II had one of the most enjoyable RPG battle mechanics I've seen. The ability to cancel the enemies abilities if you timed your attacks right and combo up certain attacks to flat out shut an enemy out was always cool, the story was fun and yeah Millenia was awesome.
    Yep, but I also loved the music and he rather dark, religion critical theme of Grandia II.

Fun fact: Granyala was originally inspired by Lord Granas. I wondered what a female version might sound like.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think he was asking about the mechanics of BB, but rather how any of that would make sense in FFXIV.
    Because FFXIV can use the same mechanics - in the most general sense.

This is already kind of a thing in regular dungeons, many DPS classes have "empowered" windows for attacking (e.g. Deathwyrm stance, Raging Strikes ...) and you normally do your best to line it up with the gaps in a bosses attack pattern where the boss is open to attack and your wind ups (i.e. casting) aren't going to get interrupted - the worst is when you have all CDs and buffs up and the boss "vanishes" and become untargetable ... @#$%
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

This is already kind of a thing in regular dungeons, many DPS classes have "empowered" windows for attacking (e.g. Deathwyrm stance, Raging Strikes ...) and you normally do your best to line it up with the gaps in a bosses attack pattern where the boss is open to attack and your wind ups (i.e. casting) aren't going to get interrupted - the worst is when you have all CDs and buffs up and the boss "vanishes" and become untargetable ... @#$%
    Reminds me of 3.0 and the days learning the intricacies of Neverreap...as BLM...oh boy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Serious question, is hetfields run considered invalid or something due to being on emulator?
    Only for X2/3. X1 emulates fine but slower, X2/3 however do not. It's finicky.

10+ Year Old Account
    the worst is when you have all CDs and buffs up and the boss "vanishes" and become untargetable ... @#$%
    Ooh how I hate that on Echnida. Timings are often unpredictable due to the groups varying DPS and they can royally screw your Enochian because you don't have stuff to attack.

Though most bosses have such a window tight at the start. Often I am through with my high DPS opener by the time mechanics start to hit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Reminds me of 3.0 and the days learning the intricacies of Neverreap...as BLM...oh boy.
    Fun fact: did it today for the lulz as BLM (first time too).

Dat last boss... WTF. And I thought that guy was annoying as a healer.

Fun fact: did it today for the lulz as BLM (first time too).

Dat last boss... WTF. And I thought that guy was annoying as a healer.
    Two keys to success:

1. Never do a full opener at the start; boss does invuln phase 15ish seconds into the start of the fight, so by the time you can really get things rolling for the opener, you'll run into a big wall of nope.

2. Stand near the outer edge of the arena; lowers the chances you'll have a tornado run into you (namely from behind, since there won't be any there). It's rare that the tornadoes circle along the edge of the arena.

Now I need to read up on how to not get slapped around 75% of the time during the Sephirot fight. Did that for first time couple of days ago and pretty much just wanted to walk off the platform.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ooh how I hate that on Echnida. Timings are often unpredictable due to the groups varying DPS and they can royally screw your Enochian because you don't have stuff to attack.

Though most bosses have such a window tight at the start. Often I am through with my high DPS opener by the time mechanics start to hit.
    In general, the concept of "attack window" is already in the game.

Casters have to decide whether they can get a cast off or they have to dodge NOW.

Melee who have to gap close have to decide if they can bail out of danger in time.

The game will punish your reckless attacks in the form of HP loss or even death.

HW adds the "empowered" states, giving a cost on "missing" attacks (due to the need to dodge), which further adds a lay of complexity - i.e. you are punished again for a bad decision.

So I'm actually curious, did they ever mention the ability to save different UI presets? Because I swear it feels like I heard them mention that at one point. It would be awesome to switch between different ones depending depending on your role or something. Hate having to constantly move my enemy list around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Casters have to decide whether they can get a cast off or they have to dodge NOW.
    Seriously are we even playing the same game?
    90% of all avoidable damage will interrupt your cast.

So if you just started a cast and the boss places a yellow circle under your butt, get out. If you continue your cast you will get the damage AND your cast will get interrupted.

Only time when you let a cast run through is if it is already > 75%. Let it run to 85 and start moving. Client lag will do the rest.
    @Kazela: yep was quite funny to run into the wall of "nope". Been so long since I did NR, I completely forgot about his bubble.
    I should continue that damn main quest already... still have the Antitower quest b/c I never continued once I unlocked expert. Too busy with other stuff. :X

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Hate having to constantly move my enemy list around.
    Why do you need to do that? I have it in the same place with all roles.

I did move the raidframes for 24mans a bit though because they were overlapping.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

So if you just started a cast and the boss places a yellow circle under your butt, get out. If you continue your cast you will get the damage AND your cast will get interrupted.

Only time when you let a cast run through is if it is already > 75%. Let it run to 85 and start moving. Client lag will do the rest
    Heh. Your 3rd paragraph more or less invalidates your 2nd. Wouldn't your decision be based on the mobs cast time? Aren't you assuming every mob has the same cast time for all their casted attacks?

Also DD mobs could have longer cast times and Spell Speed might be more abundant on DD gear. So deciding whether to squeeze another attack in might be something you have to think about - i.e. It's trivial to design for it.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2016-04-28 at 10:18 AM.

Why do you need to do that? I have it in the same place with all roles.

I did move the raidframes for 24mans a bit though because they were overlapping.
    As a Ninja I don't need to pay attention at the threat so I keep it in the corner out of view. When I'm playing a tank I'd rather have it more to the center so its easier to keep track of it. Its not really a big thing but there are things I prioritize more as a certain job. For example do I really need the alliance tab on my DPS that doesn't have access to a res? Not really.

Only time when you let a cast run through is if it is already > 75%. Let it run to 85 and start moving. Client lag will do the rest.
    Stuff like this I find differentiates the good players from the bad. You can get a decent chunk more of extra DPS by doing things like this. It reminds me of Touch of Karma from Monks in WoW and standing in stuff that would otherwise one shot you to gain a decent chunk of extra DPS.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2016-04-28 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    As a Ninja I don't need to pay attention at the threat so I keep it in the corner out of view. When I'm playing a tank I'd rather have it more to the center so its easier to keep track of it. Its not really a big thing but there are things I prioritize more as a certain job. For example do I really need the alliance tab on my DPS that doesn't have access to a res? Not really.
    I think most people prefer to have it be a certain way no matter what. I know I do. Even if I don't need that info, it's still there. It's nice because that way when i do need the info, I know where it is, I am used to it being there. Different strokes for different folks I guess though, no real reason SE shouldn't make a fairly simple feature like that available to us. It could be stored locally so not even taking up any of their resources.

Bloodborne/Souls games actually work off the same principles as fighting games like Street Fighter/King of Fighters.

All attacks (both by the player and the mobs) have a "cost" in the sense that they have wind up and recovery times.

Those wind up and recovery times are window of opportunity for attack - assuming you are in a position to do so.

Ignoring PvP, where there is the baiting aspect and feinting, mobs in the Souls type games all have exploitable gaps in their attacks in which you can get a parry in (wind up) or can attack with no fear of getting hit yourself (recovery) - the latter is also a good time to heal up if you are low on HP.

The skill is in judging when you can do what, as choosing wrong will get you kill in quick order, and how to counter incoming attacks.

Watch the video. (The author actually uses fighting game terms like "punishing" (an attack). I only know of these terms because of GameFAQs I read in the 90s on KoF - I don't play it but I was bored.)
    I'm an avid member of the FGC (fighting game community) so these terms and what you're saying is second nature to me. It's also why I am inherently good at BNS as well considering the combat is very similar to GG/Blazblue (bursts/tech chases being very important in that combat engine).

With that said, I know how BB plays, it's similar to DMC (Devil May Cry), do damage, dodge roll, do damage, etc. I beat the original DMC on DMD mode (basically aids mode) when I was a kid. It cost me 2 controllers out of frustration.

Now with that out of the way I'll let Bovinity answer for me below.

I don't think he was asking about the mechanics of BB, but rather how any of that would make sense in FFXIV.
    This exactly. I completely understand how BB plays and how the combat is both rewarding, difficult, and strategic. What I fail to see is how exactly could this be implemented in a tab target MMO?

Trust me when I say I am one of the few people on this thread that actually agrees with you that the combat engine in FF14 is garbage for any kind of in-depth or rewarding solo gameplay, but I'm not sold going anywhere near BB is the way to go given the massive changes to combat required, I'd argue there are much more efficient ways to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Grandia II had one of the most enjoyable RPG battle mechanics I've seen. The ability to cancel the enemies abilities if you timed your attacks right and combo up certain attacks to flat out shut an enemy out was always cool, the story was fun and yeah Millenia was awesome. I thought Magna Carta on PS2 was going to be the next gen Grandia game because the battles have a similar mechanic but man...I was sorely disappointed.
    As a HUGE fan of HTK's art I was really hyped for MC2 on the PS2, but was like you incredibly disappointed. I still actually have the poster that came with the game somewhere LOL.

I actually liked the combat in Grandia 3 more so than 2. 2 was very good, but Magic was far too powerful and trivialized the game. In 3, the characters aren't nearly as exciting, but magic is more appropriately balanced and the air combos are surprisingly fun.

Fun fact, the game with the best turn based combat I've ever played is the Mana Khemia series (1 and 2). I actually wanted to fight and power up my characters because not only did they have an excellent combat system, but your animations and skills actually changed and got stronger and more graphically intense as you grew stronger.

Yep, but I also loved the music and he rather dark, religion critical theme of Grandia II.

Fun fact: Granyala was originally inspired by Lord Granas. I wondered what a female version might sound like.
    Ah nice. I actually always saw your name and thought of Aeris' mother and Grandia 2.

You're reaching PRETTY far on this one. If you're referring to attack windows as the "most general sense" I'd offer you that attack windows are ultimately irrelevant in a single monster vs. single character combat situation.

How would you retreat once your BURST CDs are done? You can't run from mobs. You have no way to defend or dodge or counter incoming damage.

Basically what you're saying is dodge telegraphs, use abilities, kill enemy. Honestly that's no different than killing a B rank hunt. Which is exactly what I stated in my OP would be the issue with this content.

In general, the concept of "attack window" is already in the game.

Melee who have to gap close have to decide if they can bail out of danger in time.

The game will punish your reckless attacks in the form of HP loss or even death.

HW adds the "empowered" states, giving a cost on "missing" attacks (due to the need to dodge), which further adds a lay of complexity - i.e. you are punished again for a bad decision.
    Again see above, while the concept of attack window is in the game (and I agree it is), it's still irrelevant from a gameplay perspective because what exactly should you do once that phase is over? Run? Defend? Heal? Dodge Telegraphs?

Where exactly is the FUN?

This is similar to what I said above. Basically just dodge telegraphs, attack, and thats it.

Basically instanced hunts 2.0. Probably the least gratifying content I've ever seen.

Heh. Your 3rd paragraph more or less invalidates your 2nd. Wouldn't your decision be based on the mobs cast time? Aren't you assuming every mob has the same cast time for all their casted attacks?

Also DD mobs could have longer cast times and Spell Speed might be more abundant on DD gear. So deciding whether to squeeze another attack in might be something you have to think about - i.e. It's trivial to design for it.
    Sure they could have longer cast times, but this doesn't solve or explain how there is supposed to be any fun. You still just dodge telegraphs, there simply isn't any room in the combat engine to make engaging solo player content.