Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Red face Are you attached to your characters?

Hello champions of Tyria! Long time no see, huh?

So, after all these years playing GW2, do you feel attachment to your characters?

I still love my characters from Ragnarök Online and WoW, as they were my definitive MMO's, and my last "next-gen" MMO was GW2. It's been a while since I last played, but I still love my thief like a truck (berserkeeer).

What about you, my friends?

See you soon!

No? I find the question odd. Off hand I could not even tell you the names of any unit I play in any game.

I always feel attached to my characters, just can't be helped it always happens and imo it's a good thing

Deleted
    yeah. In newer mmo's i've always felt the most 'attached' to my main (which is usually if not always also the first) character. If I create a character and end up not liking the class that I picked I delete the character entirely and recreate him/her as a new class. I have a bunch of characters in GW2 (all professions with ranger double) but I rarely play them. All of them have been leveled up with tomes. I've played for I think nearly 2k hours over all characters and my main takes at least 1.5k of that.

I never really had this in older mmo's like WoW though. Maybe it's because the newer MMO's have a more advanced character customization which allows me to make them exactly like I want them to.

Probably the main reason why I like FFXIV as well, sinds everything in the game can be done on a single character. Including classes. So theres no reason for me to create additional characters. (I have, but only because I like to mess around in character customization in games from time to time but I never end up playing those characters. Occasionally I use the new look on my main but I always end up going back to my original appearance).

Also one of the reasons why I dislike BDO. The character customization is really good to a certain extend but gender/characterlock simply throws me off. (All of the male classes are melee with the only caster male being literally gandalf and you aren't given the option to make him younger looking.)

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No? I find the question odd. Off hand I could not even tell you the names of any unit I play in any game.
    So you don't play as Fencers in your MMO's? Usually I use Lotus Victorya in my female characters, like in GW2 (where it originated )

In GW2? No, I've actually deleted the one character I got to max level because it gained 30 levels whilst my account was hacked. I just missed out on a big part of that character's story. When I upgrade my setup, I'll get back into GW2 on WoW downtimes (server maintenance etc) and then I'll surely make that connection to my character which is so important to me. Can't wait to play GW2 on max settings.

In WoW? Hell yes, I'm attached to every single character. I know their names by heart, I've made up little stories whilst playing them and made a point out of giving them names that fit the character. Some characters took hours to name. My main of 8 years ofc has the top spot, I've never been one of those people that can play a different character and class every patch, never will be. And I see that as a good thing, it adds depth to my experience.

Kinda, I suppose. I adopted the Kaz name moniker from my long time old main in wow, but due to having to change name after server transfer on wow (and due to 90% of the boots I found myself wearing having heels in FF14), I just changed the toon from dude to dudette.

Some of my GW2 toons use names I had used on WoW, which for the most part I obtained by spamming the random name button (then maybe changing a letter or two).

The human toons use the same last name as my old GW1 toon, which was named via random name generator on Neverwinter Nights.

Creativity isn't exactly my strongest quality.

Since I only really play GW2 to pvp, not really.

15+ Year Old Account
    Never had it in GW2. Played so many characters. Dont even have a main.

In WoW > Yes.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    So you don't play as Fencers in your MMO's? Usually I use Lotus Victorya in my female characters, like in GW2 (where it originated )
    No. I just make up random funny names. I recognize units by class/purpose in MMOs generally.

Attached mostly to my Necro because the moment I saw that I could be a Melee necro with pets I was like "I'm getting this fucking game"

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Attached mostly to my Necro because the moment I saw that I could be a Melee necro with pets I was like "I'm getting this fucking game"
    Haha, for me it was playing a Mesmer on Beta and being all "OMG I CAN USE A GREATSWORD AS A CASTER??!!" Of course after launch I got bored on my mesmer and the only Profession I play less than it is Engi.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always get attached to my main characters in RPG's, I can have alts that I feel nothing for and don't really care about balance changes and stuff for those characters but I want my main characters to be "perfect".

I get more attached to handles than characters.