Purple tint on my new ASUS VS248H-P

TL;DR: Purple tint show randomly on one of my screen after the display have been turned off automatically for a few hours. When the purple tint appear, I can fix it right away by manually turning off the screen, and turning it back on again. I can also fix it by removing DVI cable and connecting it back. The problem keep happening randomly, read the rest for more info.

------------------
    I decided to buy that screen because it was recommended on MMO champ in the build of the month. Been 20 days since the purchase. I ordered two screen (I use dual monitors), since then I returned one and got a replacement

The problem happens randomly, I always let my computer running so the screen turn off automaticly after 15 minutes (Alienware Fusion setting). When I come back I wiggle the mouse, both screen open, sometimes one of the screen have a purple tint, like if I manually turn the GREEN all the way down. But it doesn't happens all the time.

Problem is I did not touch any setting, the purple tint appear randomly. Only way to fix it is to turned off the screen and turn it back on, it fixes automatically the problem (disconnecting the DVI and reconnecting the DVI also fixes the problem.

I want to point out I also have a third screen (TV screen) connected to my PC with HDMI, but it is not used in the display I used, it is grayed out in the display setting.

I bought two screen at the same time, the left one (primary) it happened 3 times before I returned it, it started to happens 10 days after purchase, and happened again 2 days after, then 1 day after.
    The secondary screen it happened only 20 days after the purchase, and the next day after it happened again.
    The primary screen was ship back and they sent me a replacement I installed a few days ago, and the secondary screen started to do that only after I had replaced the primary screen.

To help you read the rest, here is a summary of the term I use:
    -Primary monitor: on the left
    -Secondary monitor: on the right
    -Display screen 1: the screen named "1" in the display setting
    -Display screen 2: the screen named "2" in the display setting

Bascially, when I removed the primary screen (also the display screen 1), the secondary screen was the only one connected to the PC (the secondary screen is now the one experiencing the problem), is it possible the secondary screen became the new "display screen 1", and when I plugged back in the replacement screen, the replacement took the place of the "display screen 2", so that's why the secondary screen (now display screen 1) is the one experimenting the purple tint problem even tho it never had problem in the last 20 days?

The DVI cable I use are 5 month old, they worked perfecly on my 5 years old Samsung LCD.
    Both ends of the DVI cable are well connected, they are not loose.
    I did a full reset of both screen yesterday, purple tint still came back on the secondary screen this morning i got to my computer and wiggle the mouse to turn on the screens.

Anyone have an idea how to fix the problem for good?
    Last edited by Nidale; 2016-05-20 at 05:38 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiosity, what kind of graphics card are you using, and are you using the most up to date drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of graphics card are you using, and are you using the most up to date drivers?
    I'm using GeForce GTX 660, both screen connected with DVI.
    The HDMI port (only 1) of my PC is also connected to my TV screen, but never used (I only use it in Extend view).

Here is my installed driver:

(GeForce 353.82 Driver) and it is up to date.

- - - Updated - - -

My Alienware Fusion setting is:
    Turn off screen after 15 minutes
    Turn off hard disk after 20 minutes
    Sleep mode after 0 minutes
    Allow Hybrid sleep: Off
    Hibernate after: 0 minutes
    Allow wake timers: Disable

So basically with those setting every night my screen turn off after 15minutes, and my computer hard disk stop running after 20minutes (the computer is still running tho).
    But in the morning when I sit at the computer, all I have to do is wiggle the mouse and I'm exactly where I left, no need to enter password, no need to make my power supply run, everything is just there.

Also I find it really weird that my secondary screen, the problem started to happens only after I replaced the primary screen. (So 20 days after the initial purchase, and it happened only a few hours after I disconnected the primary screen and reconnected the replacement).
    Last edited by Nidale; 2016-05-20 at 03:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It was worth a stab. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near as tech-literate as some of the other fine people on these boards.

My only guesses on this stuff are as follows:

1) Graphics driver issues (doesn't seem to be it)
    2) Graphics card isn't sending signal in RGB and is using YCbCr, which can cause some hiccups (usually only happens if an HDMI port is occupied)
    3) Cable problem
    4) Port problem/other hardware issue
    5) When entering sleep mode, it's a very lower powered state, and isn't completely waking up. Disabling sleep or any ultra low power consumption mode might offer a temporary solution, even though it isn't an actual 'fix' for the problem. It's more akin to trying to avoid it at all.

Outside of those, I'm afraid I won't be of any help, but I hope you get it fixed.

I tried to recreate the problem by setting my "Display turn off after" to 1 minute, after 10 attemp I was not able to recreate the problem. So it seem to happens randomly :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    My only guesses on this stuff are as follows:

2) Graphics card isn't sending signal in RGB and is using YCbCr, which can cause some hiccups (usually only happens if an HDMI port is occupied)
    I do have a HDMI port occupied on my computer, it is connected to my TV Screen, but in the current display setting I am right now (named "Second Screen Only"), the TV screen is not used, only my primary screen and secondary screen are used in this mode. I can still see the TV screen in display setting, but it is grayed out.

I only use the TV screen in my display called "Extend". In this display, all 3 screens are used. But I only experienced the purple tint problem when I was in the display mode only using the primary and secondary screen (both ASUS-VS248H-P)

Having the TV screen HDMI connected to my computer and TV screen, can it cause the YCbCr problem even if it is not used in the current display? And can this problem be fixed like I do (turn on and off the display and it fixes itself) ?
    Last edited by Nidale; 2016-05-20 at 03:59 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't know if just having it connected can cause that problem or not. It's been a few years since I've had much to do with Nvidia, but if I recall correctly, there should be an option to at least check out somewhere in the Nvidia Control Panel... dashboard color settings > digital color format, or something to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidale View Post
    I tried to recreate the problem by setting my "Display turn off after" to 1 minute, after 10 attemp I was not able to recreate the problem. So it seem to happens randomly :/

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a HDMI port occupied on my computer, it is connected to my TV Screen, but in the current display setting I am right now (named "Second Screen Only"), the TV screen is not used, only my primary screen and secondary screen are used in this mode. I can still see the TV screen in display setting, but it is grayed out.

I only use the TV screen in my display called "Extend". In this display, all 3 screens are used. But I only experienced the purple tint problem when I was in the display mode only using the primary and secondary screen (both ASUS-VS248H-P)

Having the TV screen HDMI connected to my computer and TV screen, can it cause the YCbCr problem even if it is not used in the current display? And can this problem be fixed like I do (turn on and off the display and it fixes itself) ?
    Well, I'm not really sure the cause of the problem myself, it could be that the GPU is just failing due to age. First thing I would do is check it for dust build-up and give it a good cleaning and check the temps it is running at. However, as a troubleshooting step, would it be possible to just remove the HDMI cable from the graphics card and see if the problem persists?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, I'm not really sure the cause of the problem myself, it could be that the GPU is just failing due to age. First thing I would do is check it for dust build-up and give it a good cleaning and check the temps it is running at. However, as a troubleshooting step, would it be possible to just remove the HDMI cable from the graphics card and see if the problem persists?
    Removed the HDMI cable just now, will update the post if the purple tint come back.
    I will also clean the PC, have not cleaned it in the last 4 month.

For the temps:

Removed the HDMI cable just now, will update the post if the purple tint come back.
    I will also clean the PC, have not cleaned it in the last 4 month.

For the temps:

I do not know what Ambient Temp 1/2/3 refer to. For all I know those could be temp sensors placed throught the case, not the actual temps of the GPU. Run something like HWMonitor and show us temps while idle and stressed please.

Here is my temps. from HWMonitor:

Idle (mostly idle, only thing open was Citrix Receiver because I'm connecting working from home today so I connect to the Virtual PC of the job)

High stress
    (opened Wow, Twitch, youtube, steam, skype)

Here is my temps. from HWMonitor:

Idle (mostly idle, only thing open was Citrix Receiver because I'm connecting working from home today so I connect to the Virtual PC of the job)

High stress
    (opened Wow, Twitch, youtube, steam, skype)

Ok, temps seem fine then, interested to see if the issue returns without HDMI plugged in at all though.

I will update you in this thread in a week (or earlier) if the purple tint have came back or no.

Also I wanted to ask maybe a newb question: Is it normal my two screen don't have exactly the same color, even with factory settings? For example, in order to make them both almost look a like, I had to remove some green and some blue from the RBG setting on the secondary display.

I will update you in this thread in a week (or earlier) if the purple tint have came back or no.

Also I wanted to ask maybe a newb question: Is it normal my two screen don't have exactly the same color, even with factory settings? For example, in order to make them both almost look a like, I had to remove some green and some blue from the RBG setting on the secondary display.
    Yes, that is very normal.

The problem has not come back since I unplugged my HDMI TV.

I think that was the problem.

I will wait another week with the HDMI TV unplugged, then I will plug the HDMI TV for one week to see if the problem is caused by it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to confirm something, does it look something like this?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35156/IMAG1523.jpg

This is me forcibly changing the monitor color space to YUV with an RGB input. What happens is as you see, an extremely color distorted image with the mismatched color space and signal. The monitor is receiving YUV(YCbCr most likely) than RGB but it doesn't have the ability to swap to the color space. As to what causes it, as you've probably found out, most likely your video card is messed up atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Just to confirm something, does it look something like this?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35156/IMAG1523.jpg

This is me forcibly changing the monitor color space to YUV with an RGB input. What happens is as you see, an extremely color distorted image with the mismatched color space and signal. The monitor is receiving YUV(YCbCr most likely) than RGB but it doesn't have the ability to swap to the color space. As to what causes it, as you've probably found out, most likely your video card is messed up atm.
    Yes that's exactly how it looks. But it has not happened since I unplugged my HDMI TV (that I only use sometime as a third screen to watch movie). The pink tint only happened after my main computer screen turn on while the TV screen HDMI is plugged in the computer (not even on).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes that's exactly how it looks. But it has not happened since I unplugged my HDMI TV (that I only use sometime as a third screen to watch movie). The pink tint only happened after my main computer screen turn on while the TV screen HDMI is plugged in the computer (not even on).
    Then yeah, my guess is either the software side or the hardware side is borked, probably the hardware side in this case. Nvidia's driver tends to send limited RGB if it detects a HDMI cable, not YUV.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Then yeah, my guess is either the software side or the hardware side is borked, probably the hardware side in this case. Nvidia's driver tends to send limited RGB if it detects a HDMI cable, not YUV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yes, that is very normal.
    The tinted pink came back!

Took a little more than 2 weeks for it to happen again. It happened on the second screen again (secondary, right one). I did not plug back on my HDMI TV in the whole 2 weeks, so it doesn't seem to be caused by it.

Again, a simple fix was to turn off and and turn back on the monitor to get back to normal colors.

I guess something most be wrong with my graphic card, but I don't get why it took 2 weeks to reappear. I did the same thing as every night, let my computer running, the screen turn off automaticly after 15minute, came back this morning, I sit at my computer, wiggle the mouse and I see my right screen is purple tinted.

I'm not convinced it is the graphics card, did you try switching the screens from place/cable to see if it affects anything? Or try putting the screen going purple on the internal GPU to see if it still does it.