10+ Year Old Account
    I love this thing. It's a Rappi (chicken) in a bucket holding up two fried chicken legs.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So...

My college has moved to using this company John Wiley & Sons for their IT teaching in some classes, like the Windows OS class I'm taking now.

I could go on a multi-paragraph tirade on the low quality of this page, but instead, I'll follow the brevity is the soul of wit theory and keep it short and sweet.

$145, no refunds, at all, typos among other grammatical errors, outdated PDF guides for step-by-step walk-throughs of the labs that don't match up with the Word document guides, thus confusing the crap out of me. Poorly managed virtual machines, it would seem. VERY low quality videos about what we're going to do, full of ums and uhs! Here, check one out and tell me it doesn't IMMEDIATELY make you regret everything... I had to pay my college for the course and then had to pay Wiley as well for this crap? Wow.

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess technically the class is about Operating Systems overall, but I think it has a focus on Windows, specifically 8.1... yeah, outdated. But not a huge difference between 8.1 and 10, realistically speaking, so it's probably fine. Plus the teaching materials are not prepped yet.

But how did I know you'd be disappointed, @evn? hehe
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I guess technically the class is about Operating Systems overall, but I think it has a focus on Windows, specifically 8.1... yeah, outdated. But not a huge difference between 8.1 and 10, realistically speaking, so it's probably fine. Plus the teaching materials are not prepped yet.

But how did I know you'd be disappointed, @evn? hehe
    I dunno, there were a few fundamental changes behind the scenes, for example memory management.

10+ Year Old Account
    His class is about way more basic stuff @evn. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to understand anything under the hood about this subject without giving this someone previous experience with coding for example. How many semesters deep do computer science students study operating systems? 6?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I dunno, there were a few fundamental changes behind the scenes, for example memory management.
    Hopefully that can be learned pretty easily. Though I wonder how many businesses are updating for 10 after 8.1 and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    His class is about way more basic stuff @evn. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to understand anything under the hood about this subject without giving this someone previous experience with coding for example. How many semesters deep do computer science students study operating systems? 6?
    Studying plain old operating systems? When I first took this class, I was in my 2nd or 3rd semester when focused on CIT... And to be fair, during my first semester, I took Linux OS and Intro to Computers.
    "A flower.

God I hate RegEx.

Please make it go away

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    What's the issue?
    Figuring out which are escaped characters and actual literal characters, and remembering what a certain character means when it is inside or outside a bracket :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Beer of the same brand in Taiwan is bizarrely different and worse. Say Asahi, whether you like it or not, it tastes worse in Taiwan for some bizarre reason.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    A friend who works on the software for this has been trying to recruit me.

The more I think about it, the more I it feels like it's worth considering. It's a French company and I'm rapidly losing my ability to speak/write that language because I never practice. I'm great at 'massively parallel' programming and have a bit of love for linear algebra. I dislike 'consumer technology' and prefer to work on important 'big iron' stuff. A small team implementing state-of-the-art algorithms is a good use of my abilities. Also, the difference in the kind of house I can afford within a 30-minute drive to work in Toronto vs Montreal is pretty extreme.

I'm going to fly up and have a chat in a couple of weeks. I'm a little concerned because I've only seen 2 films in the last 10 years and I hated both of them. I'm sure the "Why do you want to work on movies" question will come up and I have no good answer. I just want to write interesting code and this is a problem space that can probably hold my attention for a while.
    Damn the cost of living between the two cities is massive haha. Honestly working on a project like that sounds pretty fun, but man the cost of living alone I'd make the jump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Computer stuff be cheaper here in Taiwan.
    They're usually near USD MSRP but tax already included.
    Though I'll be buying nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please keep my area in your thoughts/prayers tonight, we've got a very high chance for tornadoes and seriously damaging winds.

https://weather.com/storms/severe/ne...e-hail-tornado

So you guys know, I literally live in between Chicago and Rockford, IL, which are both named in the above video. =|
    "A flower.

Hey, you take care of yourself tonight. I expect to see a rant here within soon again, so don't go letting us down.

Make sure your computer stays secure in case of flood. And yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aww tetrisGOAT. <3

And yeah, I'll likely turn the computer off during the storm if it gets really nasty. That battery backup from Cyberpower though has been excellent so far! However I still like staying on the safe side.

Thankfully, after the one time the basement flooded just a little bit (did I ever talk about that great event?) we got some coverings for the fire escape windows so water doesn't just come pouring in.

It amazes me, we've lived in this house now for 27 years almost and about 22 years into living here was the first time the basement ever had any flooding. Impressive.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Please keep my area in your thoughts/prayers tonight, we've got a very high chance for tornadoes and seriously damaging winds.

https://weather.com/storms/severe/ne...e-hail-tornado

So you guys know, I literally live in between Chicago and Rockford, IL, which are both named in the above video. =|
    Stay safe man. I remember when it was flooding in Houston and I messaged Reeves to make sure he was okay. When I was younger my house was hit by two hurricanes....those are not fun.

In other news mmo-champion announced that the 1070/1080 is available for order on Amazon, first time I remember mmo has ever even said their was new computer parts coming out.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Everything terrible stayed south. I actually napped a bit tonight and was woken by some thunder, nothing like what happened merely 10+ miles south of me. Tornadoes especially 50~ miles south. >_< If I wasn't working all day tomorrow, I'd probably drive down there to help out and take pictures. I really should do storm-chasing. I've always been OBSESSED with the weather.

Anyways... for @Xuvial, here ya go buddy. Damn New Zealanders.

https://www.facebook.com/63045334379...0492547126055/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just love how Amazon/Newegg will email me/suggest me products after I go hunting for people on here or real life friends. XD

"HEY, YOU SHOPPING FOR DUH BEST GRAPHICS CARDS?! WIFI ADAPTERS?! AWESOME HD MONITORS?!!!!"

Guys.. really....

And yeah, Brexit. I just don't see it being beneficial in the long run. It's like a giant step backwards, but eh, idk if people really want to get into it here. =X
    "A flower.

I see you survive, Double-D.
    I approve of that.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, thanks tetris. :P

Seems I'm doing fairly well in my Windows class. ^_^ 10/10 on all labs submitted so far.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im trying a new mouse since my Naga has been messing up lately. Trying to be a bit brave and get something that is not really that well known.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose