The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Actually, that is not known. This is what the mechs say: "This termination actually is unlawful. Why do you continue when our appeal has not yet been heard?". It is very possible that, before the Geth incident, there were actual legal AI on the Citadel, existing alongside other races, but the incident demonstrated the danger of AI, and the Council quickly issued a ban on AI development and ordered full termination of existing AI. This is why these mechs talk about appeal: since they even had the ability to appeal to the Council, they probably were viewed as a separate race, with full rights.
    No. Mechs were appealing to sentience. "We are sentient therefore we are living beings and you cannot kill us it's against the law." The anti-AI law was not enforced before Geth exactly because of pro-AI advocates who claimed that artificial intelligence is a form of life and therefore should enjoy all the rights. The Geth incident was a good example of what might happen - so the anti-AI law was enforced. But Geth were not the first AI gone self-aware and rogue in the history of the cycle. We have little lore data on that because it is irrelevant to the game's story - it was long before the humans even went to space.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No. Mechs were appealing to sentience. "We are sentient therefore we are living beings and you cannot kill us it's against the law."
    How do you know? This piece of holo is all we have in the game about that event. They could mean anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know? This piece of holo is all we have in the game about that event. They could mean anything.
    Commons sense. There are two options:
    A. Plot hole
    B. What I said.

As there's no additional data I see no reason to go with point A. The holo can be explained using current lore. Absence of more lore doesn't mean it's a plot hole. Especially considering how irrelevant this all is to the game.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Commons sense. There are two options:
    A. Plot hole
    B. What I said.

As there's no additional data I see no reason to go with point A. The holo can be explained using current lore. Absence of more lore doesn't mean it's a plot hole. Especially considering how irrelevant this all is to the game.
    I am completely lost here...
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am completely lost here...
    If you want to see this little meaningless blank space as a plot hole - knock yourself out. But don't pretend that you have data supporting that. Lore is supporting the contrary.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. In Mass Effect 2, Samara says that, to her knowing, only 2 Ardat-Yakshi exist, all being her daughters. In Mass Effect 3, however, we travel to an Ardat-Yakshi monastery having many of them, and, since Samara had no trouble finding the monastery, it is clear that she was aware during Mass Effect 2 events where her daughters were.
    Because she found out about it the same way Shepard did? Shepard was told to investigate and help a commando team by Asarai high command. Samara easily could have been given the same message or have investigated on her own after putting the pieces together about the commando's and their location.

Or simply that the code of her order prevents her from mentioning other ones besides her daughters. Or she knew that her daughters were living a life of seclusion but not where or who with.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I know the threads been inactive for awhile but I didn't want to start a new one. So I want to do a play through of all the Mass Effect titles, I played them all when they came out on Xbox but never on PC. I was wondering if people had any recommendations for mods to use for graphics etc.? I noticed there's some graphical mods out there but I'm wondering which are the best to use?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    I know the threads been inactive for awhile but I didn't want to start a new one. So I want to do a play through of all the Mass Effect titles, I played them all when they came out on Xbox but never on PC. I was wondering if people had any recommendations for mods to use for graphics etc.? I noticed there's some graphical mods out there but I'm wondering which are the best to use?
    I haven't used graphical mods much; the games look great as it is. One thing you want to do though is to turn off Film Grain: it is a very nasty effect which makes the game on PC look significantly worse, and also eats a lot of PC resources.

Oh, and for Mass Effect 1, you might want to use character resolution fix (especially noticeable on Garrus: he is bugged in the initial configuration):
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2282965

I don't think there's much for 1 & 2, but 3 has a fair amount of it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Well since this thread is bumped, I might as well post that Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer is still somewhat alive. More importantly you have free reign to use Cheat Engine to give yourself unlimited credits and buy an endless stream of supply crates. Really feels nice knowing how hard it was to buy just a single one of them in the past.

Probably the most recommended mod ever if you're doing a series run is MEUITM for Mass Effect 1. Graphics overhaul for everything and it is worth every GB (Think its around 10-11GB). Definitely check out the youtube comparison, night and day changes. Around the first time I had it up and running, a few bugs made the game crash such as landing on a specific planet for a sidequest. Since the updates though I've 100%'d the game twice and all the issues are gone. Runs smooth with no hiccups.

For Mass Effect 2 I suggest the Shorter loadings (animated - new version) mod. I think like everyone else we all got used to the insanely long loading times between landing and wandering off to do missions. What makes it worse is the game is designed to only load the area after the loading "video" is finished. This mod shaves off an average of 80% off the loading time. Much less annoying.

For ME3 I never used any so I got nothing.
    Last edited by Vogyn; 2015-12-20 at 10:36 PM.

Used that one for my last ME1 run as well, it makes it look awesome.

Thanks for the input everyone, I got the MEUITM mod for Mass Effect 1, is there any like this mod for ME2 or are the textures fine in ME2?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone, I got the MEUITM mod for Mass Effect 1, is there any like this mod for ME2 or are the textures fine in ME2?
    I don't remember anything like this existing for ME2. I'd say textures in ME2 are quite outdated (were outdated even in 2010), but not to the point of getting into the way.

Alright, yeah the ME1 textures where pretty bad but once I put that MEUITM mod in it's a lot better. Also had to deal with getting the game to scale with 3440x1440, finally got the reticle to match where the bullets are going but the markers for NPCs/Enemies is off.

Two years later.

Hey everybody,

So i've been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition for 2 weeks now and i think its really good. Because of that i wanted to try out ME3 too but after watching some "lets play" videos i dont know if its the game for me. I get the impression that ME3 is trying a bit to hard in pushing the "rule of cool" thing. Villians are named Reavers, good guys are SPECTRE agents, main character is a badass, crewmember named Joker and another crewmember said "this is Locooooo". Thats all before the Mars mission even started. I looked up some weapon names and even those sound kinda lame. Mantis...Scimitar...Katana...Shuriken...what the fuck? I know that those are all petty things to be complaining about. But not sure if i want to play the game if along every step of the way i gotta listen or see this crap. I dont flip out over seeing "cool" looking armor or weapons that have "badass" sounding names. But i tend to get annoyed when i see enough of it in a game.

BUT

I'm willing to overlook those things if the dialogue including the misc party banter system is good. I dont like dialogue/cutscenes that has a lot of posturing or grandstanding and i prefer it to be a bit more humble. So how is the dialogue? how does it compare to DA:I? again i'm not just looking at main quest related dialogue/cutscenes. I'd like to know what the misc stuff looks like too. Like i saw a cutscene where Shepard and EDI got locked into a capsule and Shep was like "i dont sound like that? i cant believe i sound like that?" and EDI was all "we're going to be stuck in here forever" and "Shep you need to focus on this problem" and Shep kinda just snaps out of it and has his robot or whatever unlock the capsule from the outside. Thats the kind of funny interaction that i like to see. And i'm wondering how much of that ME3 has.

Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    Hey everybody,

So i've been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition for 2 weeks now and i think its really good. Because of that i wanted to try out ME3 too but after watching some "lets play" videos i dont know if its the game for me. I get the impression that ME3 is trying a bit to hard in pushing the "rule of cool" thing. Villians are named Reavers, good guys are SPECTRE agents, main character is a badass, crewmember named Joker and another crewmember said "this is Locooooo". Thats all before the Mars mission even started. I looked up some weapon names and even those sound kinda lame. Mantis...Scimitar...Katana...Shuriken...what the fuck? I know that those are all petty things to be complaining about. But not sure if i want to play the game if along every step of the way i gotta listen or see this crap. I dont flip out over seeing "cool" looking armor or weapons that have "badass" sounding names. But i tend to get annoyed when i see enough of it in a game.

BUT

I'm willing to overlook those things if the dialogue including the misc party banter system is good. I dont like dialogue/cutscenes that has a lot of posturing or grandstanding and i prefer it to be a bit more humble. So how is the dialogue? how does it compare to DA:I? again i'm not just looking at main quest related dialogue/cutscenes. I'd like to know what the misc stuff looks like too. Like i saw a cutscene where Shepard and EDI got locked into a capsule and Shep was like "i dont sound like that? i cant believe i sound like that?" and EDI was all "we're going to be stuck in here forever" and "Shep you need to focus on this problem" and Shep kinda just snaps out of it and has his robot or whatever unlock the capsule from the outside. Thats the kind of funny interaction that i like to see. And i'm wondering how much of that ME3 has.
    wow! you don't even deserve to play it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    Hey everybody,

BUT

I think you should play the whole trilogy, starting with ME1. Then you will understand the reasoning behind most of those names.

And in general, I don't recommend people to start with ME3: many things just won't make sense if you haven't played the previous games, and a lot of references to previous games that make Bioware games so good will be lost to you.

Without a completionist playthrough, you can finish Mass Effect 1 in around 25-30 hours, and Mass Effect 2 in maybe 30 hours. Well worth it!

I think you should play the whole trilogy, starting with ME1. Then you will understand the reasoning behind most of those names.

And in general, I don't recommend people to start with ME3: many things just won't make sense if you haven't played the previous games, and a lot of references to previous games that make Bioware games so good will be lost to you.

Without a completionist playthrough, you can finish Mass Effect 1 in around 25-30 hours, and Mass Effect 2 in maybe 30 hours. Well worth it!
    People said the same thing with DAI and that i should play the first two to understand the story, but i understand it just fine. And not sure if you meant weapon names or the organization names but i dont think me knowing the backstory isn't going to make me like it anymore hehe. There are other reasons why i hate cool or badass sounding callsigns. One of my old jobs the bosses assigned these cool or menacing sounding radio callsigns like "Cobra", "Viper" or whatever. But the guy with the callsign is some dude riding a golfcart or a tiny little forklift. Lets just say that i dont like it, might not like it, if i play just ME3 i *might* come to like it but of course i wont know until i try it right? and if that hurts the feelings of people like smoteme12? well, i dont give a shit.

But like i said it actually doesnt matter cause i can ignore that stuff that i dislike if the dialogue is really good. The only thing that got me to play DAI was seeing videos of funny party banter. I didnt know what combat was like, didnt know what the main story was about or anything like that. The funny party talk was all i started playing for. And once i started playing i actually came to like everything else about the game like the combat, setting and NPC backgrounds despite not knowing anything about it before buying the game. So thats what i'm wanting to know is if ME3 is the same way with its dialogue. Like does it feel like you are listening to your crew actually talk like real people? or do they sound like robots or what a writer THINKS people should sound like when they talk about mundane shit or cracking jokes. Like in one of the ME3 videos i saw Ashley i think it was having a convo with EDI about how she wanted to bang her sexy AI voice or something. And male shep is there listening in and i think Tali was her name was talking about eating cheese through her filter and a minute later she's saying how she might have eaten toxic cheese instead of the good cheese and how she now needs to take some antidote or medicine. See thats the kind of funny stuff i want to see...two women on one side talking about having sex with a voice and on the other a friend just poisoned herself with bad cheese.

EDIT: to put it more simply on one hand i've listed a few minor dislikes. On the other hand i've listed one MAJOR like. If the game has that one thing that i like then screw my dislikes i'll try it out. Doesn't matter to me what anyone else likes or dislikes about the game, i only care about what i want.
    Last edited by notanmmmonewbie; 2016-06-18 at 03:21 AM.