Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Man gets 30 days in jail for insulting the Dutch king

Source: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...he-dutch-king/
    Ruling details (Dutch): http://uitspraken.rechtspraak.nl/inz...BOVE:2016:2629

A man from Kampen has been sentenced to 30 days in jail, 16 suspended, and put on probation for two years for insulting king Willem-Alexander.

The 44-year-old, who spent 14 days in custody after his arrest and so will not go back to prison, was found guilty of deliberately insulting the king by describing him on Facebook as a murderer, rapist and thief.

He also manipulated a photograph of an IS execution and replaced the heads of the victims with that of Willem-Alexander, judges were told.

The police found the social media posts while carrying out an investigation into people who could form a risk to the royal family prior to their King’s Day visit to Zwolle on April 27. The writer, said to be of Turkish origin, was arrested for ‘lèse-majesté’, which means the crime of ‘offending the dignity of the monarch’.

The court ruled the man’s actions were at odds with the constitutional position of the king and the national interest. ‘This behaviour is uncceptable in our society and justifies a criminal sentence,’ the judges said in their ruling.

In April, justice minister Ard van der Steur said the Netherlands is to abolish the law making it a criminal offence to insult a foreign heads of state but that he does not plan to remove the ban on insulting the Dutch monarch. The Netherlands is one of the few country’s in Europe to have such a crime, for which the maximum sentence is five years in jail.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-14 at 06:49 PM.

Deleted
    I don't have a problem with this. Republicans are scum.

I don't see a problem in showing internet trolls who go too far, that it's unacceptable behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Didn't they used to torture people to death for that? 30 days in the hole is a step up if you ask me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Holland had Queen Beatrix Potter. The bloke in the OP looks like a master of ceremonies, get yourself a proper monarch, silly Dutchies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Freedom of speech?

No?

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Freedom of speech?

No?
    Not outside America, "where at least I know I'm free".

I'm typically not the "God Bless America" type but that's pretty fucking obnoxious, throwing a guy in jail because he insulted you.
    Last edited by TheMediator; 2016-07-14 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I thought Holland had Queen Beatrix Potter. The bloke in the OP looks like a master of ceremonies, get yourself a proper monarch, silly Dutchies.
    The Dutch Queen Beatrix abdicated, in contrast to some other royals that hold on to their crowns.

Going to prison for insulting is ridiculous :/

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Freedom of speech?

No?
    Freedom of speech is about being about being able to say things in public without being censored. That does not prevent the consequences of saying those things.

The fact that there is a punishment for insulting an office is quite odd and counter-intuitive to the interest of the office. Since obviously this perp has some issues and I doubt any reasonable person paid him any heed.

The fact that they put him in jail for being insulting puts the king in a bad light as it seems like a very feudal way of handling these things. But that's the law there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Not outside America, "where at least I know I'm free".

I'm typically not the "God Bless America" type but that's pretty fucking obnoxious, throwing a guy in jail because he insulted you.
    there thousands of people in the US that cannot speak out vs corporations because they have lost or made forced deals in court...military whistleblowers that have been uncovering crimes are thrown into jail. believe me...democracy and free speech stands much stronger in Europe. insulting individuals have nothing to do with free speech

The article itself says, he didn't just say; "Oh, our King sucks!"

He photostopped extreme material, and made public comments about the king being a Rapist. King or not, anyone could report this to the police, and chances are they would be arrested. This isn't about insulting the King, it's about being a twat online, and getting a slap for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post

He photostopped extreme material, and made public comments about the king being a Rapist. King or not, anyone could report this to the police, and chances are they would be arrested. This isn't about insulting the King, it's about being a twat online, and getting a slap for it.
    That should be defamation and not insult then?

Deleted
    The Dutch have a king?!?

Only 30 days, you would get tortured and killed back in the day for insulting kings or nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post

Being a twat is your "god-given" right in America. "I might not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" was of the cornerstones of early America.

So how do you guys know the king isn't a rapist and a murderer?

10+ Year Old Account
    The person who did this clearly needs to rethink their behaviour, and manipulating photographs of ISIS executions to add the head of someone is disgusting (and could be interpreted as a threat if you're really aggressive about it), and I have nothing against this King Willem-Alexander, but this is ridiculous.

Is insulting people illegal in the Netherlands? If they wouldn't arrest you for insulting a hobo, they shouldn't prosecute you for insulting the king.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The Dutch Queen Beatrix abdicated, in contrast to some other royals that hold on to their crowns.
    Ours only usually abdicate when they commit an unforgivable sin, such as wanting to marry an American.

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    That should be defamation and not insult then?
    How does that matter when it's an article online? He did insult the King, he called him a Rapist.

In court, that's when you get to be specific about Deformation vs Insulting. The reality is though, if someone did this to me for example, and I reported it to the police, that person would still be arrested and charged. It's got nothing to do with him being King, but a Deformation vs Insult charge does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Being a twat is your "god-given" right in America. "I might not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" was of the cornerstones of early America.
    But, this isn't in America. It is also against the Dutch Constitution to insult the Royal Family (as far as I know), so... how is your point relevant?

Free Speech vs Constitutional Rights? Who wins!