Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The worst thing to happen to DC Comics films will be the "cinematic universe" concept, both broadly speaking and in any move DC makes to ape the house style of Marvel's films.

The only real weakness in Batman v Superman is the comically shoehorned in tie-in bits for Justice League. These scenes speak to the friction in these films between entertainment, art, and advertisement. JL runs the risk of becoming nothing more than an Avengers-esque piece of marketing for its own sequels and spinoffs, and in the released scenes strikes the same brutally unfunny "humorous" and "quippy" tone as Whedon's films.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    The worst thing to happen to DC Comics films will be the "cinematic universe" concept, both broadly speaking and in any move DC makes to ape the house style of Marvel's films.

The only real weakness in Batman v Superman is the comically shoehorned in tie-in bits for Justice League. These scenes speak to the friction in these films between entertainment, art, and advertisement. JL runs the risk of becoming nothing more than an Avengers-esque piece of marketing for its own sequels and spinoffs, and in the released scenes strikes the same brutally unfunny "humorous" and "quippy" tone as Whedon's films.
    You never know, you may get lucky. Law of probability means we should be getting a decent film among the trash at least once. Maybe this is the film with the perfect blend of action, charm and humor that Zack Synder manages to spit out. I won't hold my breathe but you know, it could be a surprise and be good.

the real weakness of bvs is everything except for batman and wonder woman is awful
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Also if you replace Jesse Eisenberg with say Bryan Cranston as Lex luther it could have been a very different movie.

It was easy to bash on Jesse when he was casted and its nice they tried to go for something different but it really was a poor casting decision/direction to take the perfect human in.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the real weakness of bvs is everything except for batman and wonder woman is awful
    BvS would be a better film without Gadot's Wonder Woman. She does well enough with the material she's given, but she has no character arc and is featured in some of the least worthwhile scenes. Her toying with Bruce at Lex's library dedication could be worked into an expanded role for Lex's assistant Mercy or just eliminated entirely. Her role exists to advertise her solo film, not as an organic part.

At one point Diana actually gets an email from Batman with trailers for future Justice League characters and just sits down and watches a few, in what is the film's second worst scene. Better to just shelve her for her own movie and let it stand on its own merits instead of playing out of place and shoddily written advertisements in the middle of another film.

I have no idea why people are getting excited for yet another Zack Snyder superhero movie... He learned nothing from MoS, so why should expect that he'd learn anything from BvS?

Wonder Woman looks promising, but I'm still not sold on Gadot as an actress.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I have no idea why people are getting excited for yet another Zack Snyder superhero movie...
    I'd guess the answer is "he makes really good superhero movies".

Thats ah....thats debatable.

The guy knows how to make a nice shot but has no idea how to cohesively mesh a solid and engaging story.

lol

In the same way that "Michael Bay makes really good Transformers movies," sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Thats ah....thats debatable.

The guy knows how to make a nice shot but has no idea how to cohesively mesh a solid and engaging story.
    At least we can agree he has a great eye.

lol

In the same way that "Michael Bay makes really good Transformers movies," sure.
    In much the same way, yes.
    Last edited by Mahourai; 2016-07-25 at 02:42 AM.

I don't know, BvS butchered the characters of Batman, Lex, Superman, and Martha Kent. The only saving grace was they killed off Jimmy Olson before they fucked him up too.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone seen the Killing Joke yet? And what did they think?

Deleted
    Why does everyone keep saying Bryan Cranston should have played Lex Luthor? I mean alright so he played a bald villian on Breaking Bad, and thats it he's Lex now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Just finished it. I thought it was great, weird ending though.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Why does everyone keep saying Bryan Cranston should have played Lex Luthor? I mean alright so he played a bald villian on Breaking Bad, and thats it he's Lex now?
    he would have played a more straight evil guy and less of a Silicon Valley evil guy because that wouldn't really fit him.

Personally I can live with the google CEO Lurthor since that would be a bit more realistic then the New York CEO villain.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know, BvS butchered the characters of Batman, Lex, Superman, and Martha Kent. The only saving grace was they killed off Jimmy Olson before they fucked him up too.

- - - Updated - - -

Killing Joke was good and for me definitly close to a 8 only I wish they would have made it a bit more dark.

It's Dark enough for a cartoon but we it didn't give me the shock value as the Red Hood movie where you ''see'' the Joker beating Robin with a crowbar.

Killing Joke is supposed to show the ''worst'' side of the Joker but to me it didn't really feel like he pushed Batman to the point of ''no return''. In the Dark Knight the Joker pushed Batman to break his neck, with this it never really got that far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    he would have played a more straight evil guy and less of a Silicon Valley evil guy because that wouldn't really fit him.

Personally I can live with the google CEO Lurthor since that would be a bit more realistic then the New York CEO villain.
    No, he'd have played the villian that Snyder wanted him to play. Jesse Eisenberg didn't just show up on set after watching the Dark Knight and go "Listen Zach, i've got a great idea for Lex".

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    Starting this as a place for nonspecific talk about the DCU to go, similar to the Marvel thread. Obviously you can still start specific threads about movies/TV shows/etc if you feel it is warranted. Hopefully this will serve as a place to talk about stuff that is coming up, stuff that isn’t worth making a new thread about, or just general talk about the DCEU.

Link to wiki about the DCEU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe

Spoiler warnings are not required here.
    Will have to see. I quite enjoyed Man of Steel, but Batman Vs Superman was...terrible. It tried to pack too much into a movie and wound up being both bloated and boring.

They need to knock it out of the park with Suicide Squad and Justice League. It's...possible, I guess, but not getting my hopes up. Which is a pity because I love DC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Killing Joke was good and for me definitly close to a 8 only I wish they would have made it a bit more dark.

It's Dark enough for a cartoon but we it didn't give me the shock value as the Red Hood movie where you ''see'' the Joker beating Robin with a crowbar.

Killing Joke is supposed to show the ''worst'' side of the Joker but to me it didn't really feel like he pushed Batman to the point of ''no return''. In the Dark Knight the Joker pushed Batman to break his neck, with this it never really got that far.
    Killing Joke is also based on a fairly old comic that was pretty 'dark' for the time but somewhat tame by modern standards.

If you want to see Batman at it's darkest, basically the entire pre Infinite Crisis era is messed up. Identity Crisis, War Games etc. Not to mention amazing older series like Venom and the Cult.

But in terms of pure dark nastiness, the New 52 Batman stuff revolving around The Joker up to the end of Death Of The Family was...insane. More like something out of Vertigo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont see how you could think he lacks confidence. hes clearly arrogant, aquaman lifts him off the ground and he just smiles and makes a fucking quip about talking to fish
    That's just being a smart ass, not a bad ass. Throwing in quips doesn't mean you are in control of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    hes too busy being zordon to be lex.

hes got his own super team to worry about.

also god damn is the music for this movie fucking lit or what.

10/10 best soundtrack
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Pretty disappointing. The Joker seems alot more human in this incarnation, giving him an origin story detracts from the character for me and his plan ends in utter failure whilst also being pretty puerile and simple it's hard to imagine him as Batmans intellectual equal and nemesis. Much preferred The Dark Knight Returns over this. It's not bad by any means, it's just showing it's age I think because like Lost Zero points out, it's pretty tame by modern standards.

I have no idea why people are getting excited for yet another Zack Snyder superhero movie... He learned nothing from MoS, so why should expect that he'd learn anything from BvS?.
    probably because warner brothers has a pit of lava ready to dunk him in if justice league isnt better and already replaced him as the guy in charge of the dccu :P